Menu

ETC Online???

Do you use this?? I had never heard of it before until I was browsing today and read a post of another momma who used it for her dc. I am interested. Mostly - because my son is doing well with ETC and is about to go into book 2...but he gets tired of the format and the pages and all the writing (which I think he needs to do to practice his writing skills). I thought maybe, if it is well done and can be done on level and not skip around, it may be worth having both options available to him.

Opinions?

My girls and I absolutely love it! They did not like the books at all but look forward to the online. Since it's $60/year, I'm having them work year round. My oldest will definitely get all 8 books done within the year and it will be close for my youngest. I talked with the guy who runs the program and he said if I only need a few more months beyond the 1st year that we could work something out so I wouldn't have to pay the full $60 again.

How I have my girls do it is that I require them to each have 4 butterflies(which means good) before they stop. There is also a lightening(for speedy fast) and a lady bug and fly for fair/poor work. Of coarse if they get a lightening, which is rare, that would count for 1 of their 4 required. It doesn't usually take them more than 15-20 minutes to complete my requirement.

I really like that the program will automatically place the child at their level. If they're stuggling on a number of lessons, the program will take them back some lessons until they master that material then they'll move them back up slowly. I find this is really helping my girls solidify the information.

If you have any other specific questions, please let me know.

Ann

I called EPS and they said it only for one child, so I'll wait on this. I would use if for 3 of my dc. She also said that between the books and the online ETC it might be too much. I'm bummed. I just purchased all the ETC books I would need for 3 of my dc. Last thing; the 1/2 books are not on the ETC online.

That's all the info I got :)

Blessings,

That is just too cool! For the one starting August 22nd, the price is at 33%, but the more people who sign up, the better! I passed at $60 a year...but I couldn't pass up $40 a year (whcih could go even lower!) Woo Hoo! Thanks for the tip!

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_epp_offer&Itemid=651

Thanks for finding this. Have you signed up already? Just wondering:001_smile:

I am planning to sign up. Right now, you can get the subscription for $35 plus $5 administrative cost.

It is only for one child because it evaluates what they have missed and comes back to it. At the link, you can see a demo and test it yourself. Scroll down to the "sign in to our test account". Yesterday I was able to test it with my kids - today I can't...maybe it will only let you access it once to test it? Anyway, my kids thought it was great and were fighting over who got to take the next turn.

I think it will be nice because my son has a fine motor delay, but that shouldn't hold up his learning. He would do this online for 30 minutes, but would only do worksheets for maybe 10 because it hurts and frustrates him. He gets enough writing to work on building that skill. Also, I have no idea where my kids should be placed in ETC! They are in book 1 and 2, but since they are doing OPG it goes MUCH quicker than ETC...this way, they will be able to keep them more in sync I think...

We've had a subscription to ETC online since the spring for both of my boys. Caution if you have a Mac--this program is not fully compatible. It works fine, but runs a little slow, which means your child will never receive the top "lightening" button. I even tried to get one, going as fast as I could, and got only a butterfly. I spoke with ETC about it and they offered to send me a CD to load in my computer which would supposedly help, but it just never happened. It's not that big of a deal, the program still runs and is fun, but if your kid is excited about the reward system, you may experience disappointment (on a Mac, that is). We have an i-mac and a newer Mac Book Pro, and experienced the same problem with both. Just fyi . . .

I am very interested, however I was thinking I would not want to start until the Sept date. Is everyone else planning to sign up for the Aug. date?

I just read on the site that each month has to have 26 to get the 33% off discount. I was hoping it wouldn't matter which month you started as long as you signed together. No such luck.

If everyone is planning to sign up for the August date I will go ahead and sign up for that date as well since it might be the best chance for a discount.

BTW, thank you Homeschooling6 for sharing this great information here. Bless you!

We've had a subscription to ETC online since the spring for both of my boys. Caution if you have a Mac--this program is not fully compatible. It works fine, but runs a little slow, which means your child will never receive the top "lightening" button. I even tried to get one, going as fast as I could, and got only a butterfly. I spoke with ETC about it and they offered to send me a CD to load in my computer which would supposedly help, but it just never happened. It's not that big of a deal, the program still runs and is fun, but if your kid is excited about the reward system, you may experience disappointment (on a Mac, that is). We have an i-mac and a newer Mac Book Pro, and experienced the same problem with both. Just fyi . . .

Errrrrrr!

I was really thinking about this, but we are Mac-based. About the CD, did the "never happen" mean they never sent the disc, or that it did not help improve the speed?

Thanks for the "heads-up".

Bill

Have you tried the online sample? I was very disappointed. It won't let you choose a wrong answer, so the child isn't necessarily LEARNING the material. My 2yo "completed" the sample pages just by randomly clicking on things, then randomly clicking something else if it didn't work. I know it is set up to not move on until concepts are mastered, but if your child is a good random guesser they might be moved on. :)

Have you tried the online sample? I was very disappointed. It won't let you choose a wrong answer, so the child isn't necessarily LEARNING the material. My 2yo "completed" the sample pages just by randomly clicking on things, then randomly clicking something else if it didn't work. I know it is set up to not move on until concepts are mastered, but if your child is a good random guesser they might be moved on. :)

Can you post a link. The only sample page I can find is this one, but it doesn't let me try it. It is just demostrating. The one that is on the co-op page is the same. Only demostrating.

I would love for one of my kids to try it out.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. My dd's have been doing the program for 6 months and when they get a problem wrong, the program tells them they are wrong and they keep trying till they get it right.

Ann

I am very interested, however I was thinking I would not want to start until the Sept date. Is everyone else planning to sign up for the Aug. date?

I just read on the site that each month has to have 26 to get the 33% off discount. I was hoping it wouldn't matter which month you started as long as you signed together. No such luck.

If everyone is planning to sign up for the August date I will go ahead and sign up for that date as well since it might be the best chance for a discount.

BTW, thank you Homeschooling6 for sharing this great information here. Bless you!

I would like to start in Sept. to, but I'm afraid it might not get as many people as the Aug. one.

I think I'm seriously out of touch!!! Have I got this right? I can join the Homeschool Buyers Co-op for no charge and then enroll my twins in the on-line ETC for $35.00 each? I have heard of the Co-op but always assumed there were annual dues to belong. Since money is a little tight, I never checked it out. I need to be more aware.

The online ETC looks like it would work very well for my girls - they have been the slowest readers of all my children. Anyway, I would be interested in starting in August. I understand this is for an annual subscription. Is that 12 mos. or 9 mos.?

Janet

I think I'm seriously out of touch!!! Have I got this right? I can join the Homeschool Buyers Co-op for no charge and then enroll my twins in the on-line ETC for $35.00 each? I have heard of the Co-op but always assumed there were annual dues to belong. Since money is a little tight, I never checked it out. I need to be more aware.

The online ETC looks like it would work very well for my girls - they have been the slowest readers of all my children. Anyway, I would be interested in starting in August. I understand this is for an annual subscription. Is that 12 mos. or 9 mos.?

Janet

Right now the ETC Online is $40.00 with a co-op fee of $5.00. I'm assuming that they only charge the co-op fee once.

If 26 or more sign up than it's $35.00 pluse the one time fee for this special $5.00.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone:001_huh:

when they get a problem wrong, the program tells them they are wrong and they keep trying till they get it right.

Ann

That is exactly what I mean -- you don't have to KNOW the answer to get it right and be moved on.

http://www.explodethecode.com/02_how/student_demo/app/main/choose_skill.cfm?u=1-3-6

In this sample, it shows a tree with a bucket (indicating sap). If you click on sag, it says "incorrect". If you click on sag again, it says "incorrect." If you click on nap, it says "incorrect". This goes on indefinitely until you click on sap. Then it says "/s/-/ap/, sap" and goes on to the next picture. My 2 yo has no idea what sap is, and certainly didn't learn how to read the word. He just randomly clicked on objects (including the tree, but nothing happened) until he happened to click on the right answer.

This might be a fine for some kids -- especially those who are already reading and you are just looking for a way to reinforce what they are doing in their ETC book... just that IMO it does not replace doing the work in the book. If it lets you progress when you eventually randomly click on the right answer, you aren't necessarily learning the material.

I just want to be sure the original poster tries it out before buying. I am a huge fan of ETC, and my 4 yo loves doing things on the computer so I almost bought it, but once I tried it out, I realized it didn't accomplish what I was wanting it to.

That's all I was saying... I hope I didn't come across rude in my post above... I really shouldn't post late at night when I'm cranky. ;)

http://www.explodethecode.com/02_how/student_demo/app/main/choose_skill.cfm?u=5-1-6

And in this example from book 5 -- you drag and drop a word from the list to fill in the blank. If you choose a word that isn't right, it just goes back to the list. You can keep choosing other words until eventually one happens to be the right one. Then it reads the word out loud.

I guess I just don't see the point, especially at $35+ PER CHILD. :(

That is exactly what I mean -- you don't have to KNOW the answer to get it right and be moved on.

http://www.explodethecode.com/02_how/student_demo/app/main/choose_skill.cfm?u=1-3-6

In this sample, it shows a tree with a bucket (indicating sap). If you click on sag, it says "incorrect". If you click on sag again, it says "incorrect." If you click on nap, it says "incorrect". This goes on indefinitely until you click on sap. Then it says "/s/-/ap/, sap" and goes on to the next picture. My 2 yo has no idea what sap is, and certainly didn't learn how to read the word. He just randomly clicked on objects (including the tree, but nothing happened) until he happened to click on the right answer.

This might be a fine for some kids -- especially those who are already reading and you are just looking for a way to reinforce what they are doing in their ETC book... just that IMO it does not replace doing the work in the book. If it lets you progress when you eventually randomly click on the right answer, you aren't necessarily learning the material.

I just want to be sure the original poster tries it out before buying. I am a huge fan of ETC, and my 4 yo loves doing things on the computer so I almost bought it, but once I tried it out, I realized it didn't accomplish what I was wanting it to.

That's all I was saying... I hope I didn't come across rude in my post above... I really shouldn't post late at night when I'm cranky. ;)

I see what you mean and you didn't come across rude.

Here is my take on this and my first post got lost so this is a post in a hurry now:glare:

A two year old wouldn't know what sap is but an almost five or mature four year old would.

I think that if it took 4 clicks to get the right answer that the program knows that the child didn't get it and will not move them on. If for intance the child got the answer in 1 maybe 2 clicks than it's showing that the child is understanding it, therefor moving the child on.

When using the workbook if the child misses we the parent guides him to the write answer. Not exactly the same as random clicking but hopefully I'm getting my point across;)

Anyway, all that to say I like the workbooks too, but ETC online would be nice to do 3x a week.

My 7yr old, who is starting ETC 1 didn't like it :( I'm going to see if Brent my 6yr. old does before I hit the purchase button.

Blessings,

Ann,

Is the online exactly like the workbook pages? Same pictures and everything.

I used the books a while back so i can't remember exactly but I think online is very similar to the books with the exception of updated colorful pictures. Sometimes I do need to explain to my kids what a picture is.

Colleen,

You didn't sound cranky at all:001_smile: Linda explained it very well. Something I'll add is that I don't think this online curriculum is good to be used alone for teaching reading. I use it for reinforcement to my spine program. I certainly think it is helping my children learn to read better but I wouldn't rely on this program by itself. It's easy for mom to use b/c it's independent and the computer does all the correcting/proper placement. I don't think any computer program should be used as a spine to teach reading. In my opinion, the best way is one on one teaching with mom and child.

I also think this program may be better suited for age 6 and up depending on the readiness of your child. My 5 year old's are beginning to read with bob books and first reader but I don't think they'd be ready to do etc online.

Ann

I used the books a while back so i can't remember exactly but I think online is very similar to the books with the exception of updated colorful pictures. Sometimes I do need to explain to my kids what a picture is.

Colleen,

You didn't sound cranky at all:001_smile: Linda explained it very well. Something I'll add is that I don't think this online curriculum is good to be used alone for teaching reading. I use it for reinforcement to my spine program. I certainly think it is helping my children learn to read better but I wouldn't rely on this program by itself. It's easy for mom to use b/c it's independent and the computer does all the correcting/proper placement. I don't think any computer program should be used as a spine to teach reading. In my opinion, the best way is one on one teaching with mom and child.

I also think this program may be better suited for age 6 and up depending on the readiness of your child. My 5 year old's are beginning to read with bob books and first reader but I don't think they'd be ready to do etc online.

Ann

:iagree: I agree with this. My dc are currently using The Reading Lesson and ETC for reinforcement. My dc who might use ETC online would be a soon to be 7yr. and my soon to be 8ry. My 6yr. is using ETC 1 & my 7yr. is using the half books 1 1/2 right now. They are the soon to be kids;) mentioned.

I was considering signing up my 5.5yr old but I don't think he's ready yet. He is doing ETC book A. I'll probably end up paying full price mid year :glare:

Ha, just got back to this post.

I acutally did sign up for the ETC online. I don't mind the pay the whole $45 if I have to (discount + fee). Currently there are 20 signed up...so hopefully 6 more will do so before the 15th, but if not, oh well.

Here is why I signed up. My son hates to do ETC...but he loves to work on the computer. I am going to marry the two and let him do 3 days of the workbook and 2 days online just to break it up for him.

As for the 2 year old being able to get the right answer, there is a feature on there that gives the student a coin with an insect on top of it if depending on how they answer. If it takes a few tries, they get a bee or a fly. If they get them all right, they get a butterfly - and so on. This gives the parent an indication of how well their child did without totally defeating the child. It also sounds out the correct word once they pick it and reinforces why it was the right choice. My son is 4 3/4 and is reading CVC and CVCC and even some CVCV words and he is careful to sound them all out before he picks one. I also plan to sit with him as he does this work - making sure he is diligently working and not just guessing.

Thanks for all the info and feedback!

Are there games that they play once they finish the lesson?

Thanks!

After the student does the lesson for a particular amount of time, they can click on a link for games. A large list of game sites come up that the student can pick from. When you set them up, the parent goes into her account and decides how long the student needs to work before the games are alowed and how long they are alowed to play the games.

Ann

Errrrrrr!

I was really thinking about this, but we are Mac-based. About the CD, did the "never happen" mean they never sent the disc, or that it did not help improve the speed?

Thanks for the "heads-up".

Bill

They never sent it. Had I pursued it, I'm sure they would have, since they were very helpful and nice. They weren't sure it would solve the problem anyway, so I decided in the end it wasn't worth it.