Menu

The 6th edition of WRTR came today, and I am glad to report...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some free phonogram cards http://learningshari...ram-cards.html. I think some of the advanced phonograms may be a bit different but the basics are there. It will at least save you making all of them:)

The link doesn't work, but thank you for thinking of me!

ETA: Sorted it out and found the link.

And now I KNOW I was taught the Spalding method. "Her first nurse works early!" I thought I was imagining it!!

There are no cards in 5th and 6th. I remember 5th had the information to copy, but I don't know for sure that the 6th does.

There is information in WRTR that is not in LOE. It would be copyright infringement for any of the WRTR clones to copy certain information.

I have learned things from studying multiple clones and WRTR. In general, too much reading can interfere with settling down with one method, and isn't better in the long run, though.

I am OCD to the max. Settling down with WTRT 4th was the best for me, but I was still gritting my teeth at things that were better covered in other similar but incompatible methods. I like to teach cursive-first so I use Alpha-Phonics and Don Potter's phonograms instead of an Ayres list curriculum, but when I've been teaching manuscript-first, WRTR 4th is my favorite, despite my teeth grinding.

Okay now my interest is piqued. I ILL this book when my oldest was learning to read, but he picked up reading and spelling so naturally that I didn't feel the need for it.

My Kinder has been using OPGTR and ETC and he just isn't moving along in reading like I had hoped.

WRTR is used in Montessori schools right? And I use Sequential Spelling (with my oldest) and it's based on the Orton-Gillingham method, right?

Shall I jump ship?

I have looked at 100 EZ Lessons and AlphaPhonics and I don't like the scripted format. OPGTR has been just barely tolerable. I also don't want anything that requires a lot of fluff and extra.

that you still DO NOT NEED the teacher guides. Any place it says that something is in the teacher guide, just ignore it.

The only thing you might want in addition to the manual is the Spelling Assessment Manual. If you want to use the McCall-Crabbs books, you can also get answer sheets separately.

The leveled readers are also optional; they may be helpful, but they are optional. The manual also includes a list of trade books you can use instead of the readers.

The manual is organized differently than previous editions, which will take me some time to get used to, and some things have been renamed (it isn't the Extended Ayres List any longer), and some other very minor things, but I can still say that all you need is the manual and a set of phonogram cards, with possibly the Spelling Assessment Manual, to teach the Spalding Method. Yay.

I'm going to have to take a peek :drool:

Thanks Ellie! I purchased a used 4th edition a little bit back (complete with record!) and it has worked great with our Flyleaf readers. It would have been nice to have a leveled list of trade books though. Now, I haven't noticed a need for a Spelling Assesment Manual so far, and we're on section H today. What function does it serve? Did they pull info available in past editions of WRTR and put it in a separate manual or is it extra information?

Thank you Spalding Guru! ;)

There's a list of leveled trade books in the appendix. :-)

When the first-through-fourth editions were published, there wasn't a Spelling Assessment Manual. You could get a copy of the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale from SEI, which is what you use to evaluate progress. However, it really isn't vital. It's just nice to have, and it isn't expensive. :-)

Could one use WRTR along with another spelling program? I'm really fond of sequential spelling and wouldn't want to give that up?

I wouldn't. Spalding is just different. And if you're happy with SS, why would there be a need to use something else? :-)

Ok I have another question along the same lines as the pp. I ordered WRTR 4th edition because I'm looking for things to use next year. I've also been looking at Writing With Ease. Could I use these two together or would it be better to pick one?

WRTR 4th edition is just a spelling program. Writing With Ease will not be any overlap at all.

WRTR 4th edition is just a spelling program. Writing With Ease will not be any overlap at all.

No, actually, from the beginning Spalding (remember: Spalding is the method, WRTR is the manual) has taught children to read by teaching them to spell, including capitalization and punctuation, and penmanship, and has also taught them to write and to read for understanding and whatnot. You can easily do just the spelling lesson, but Spalding has always been a comprehensive "language arts" program.

Ok I have another question along the same lines as the pp. I ordered WRTR 4th edition because I'm looking for things to use next year. I've also been looking at Writing With Ease. Could I use these two together or would it be better to pick one?

Oh, no, you could easily do WWE. :-)

No, actually, from the beginning Spalding (remember: Spalding is the method, WRTR is the manual) has taught children to read by teaching them to spell, including capitalization and punctuation, and penmanship, and has also taught them to write and to read for understanding and whatnot. You can easily do just the spelling lesson, but Spalding has always been a comprehensive "language arts" program.

I realize that but pretty much everyone here uses it as a spelling/handwriting/learn to read program without using it as explicit instruction in anything else. And the 4th edition is far from laying out a comprehensive language arts program.

I realize that but pretty much everyone here uses it as a spelling/handwriting/learn to read program without using it as explicit instruction in anything else. And the 4th edition is far from laying out a comprehensive language arts program.

The fact that it isn't readily apparent doesn't mean it isn't there. :-)

The fifth and sixth editions have expanded the reading (as in reading for content, plot, kind of writing, literary elements, etc., not learning how to read in the first place) and writing components, but they were always there. :-) Writing is not emphasized very much, and grammar almost not at all, before the fifth and sixth editions. You're right that most of us do the spelling lesson (which is where the penmanship, punctuation, et al, are to be found).

The fact that it isn't readily apparent doesn't mean it isn't there. :-)

The fifth and sixth editions have expanded the reading (as in reading for content, plot, kind of writing, literary elements, etc., not learning how to read in the first place) and writing components, but they were always there. :-) Writing is not emphasized very much, and grammar almost not at all, before the fifth and sixth editions. You're right that most of us do the spelling lesson (which is where the penmanship, punctuation, et al, are to be found).

But for a program that is famously hard for home schoolers to read and extract the method, claiming that a comprehensive LA program is all there might be a reach too far :)

But for a program that is famously hard for home schoolers to read and extract the method, claiming that a comprehensive LA program is all there might be a reach too far :)

Spalding is comprehensive. Those who don't want the grammar/comprehensive writing/reading/lit can either ignore it in the fifth and sixth editions or get the fourth (as long as it is available). :-)

I don't do Sequential Spelling with Kindergartners learning how to read though. Isn't WRTR basically a reading program? I understand it focuses on handwriting and spelling. But the extent of a Kinder's spelling is CVC type words or simple copywork phonics sentences. I would have to have a child already fluently reading to start SS. 1st grade for my oldest. I could see starting it 2nd with my current Kinder.

I'm basically trying to find a better method to teach my Kinder how to read than the OPGTR that we're using now.

I don't do Sequential Spelling with Kindergartners learning how to read though. Isn't WRTR basically a reading program? I understand it focuses on handwriting and spelling. But the extent of a Kinder's spelling is CVC type words or simple copywork phonics sentences. I would have to have a child already fluently reading to start SS. 1st grade for my oldest. I could see starting it 2nd with my current Kinder.

I'm basically trying to find a better method to teach my Kinder how to read than the OPGTR that we're using now.

Spalding will teach a young child to read but can also be used as a spelling program for a child who can already read. Most kids spell behind their reading level. Spalding tries to keep them ahead of their reading level so they aren't encountering new words in the books they try to read.

Ok my 4th edition came yesterday and I read through the whole thing. I think I'm finally getting it :) Ellie, I'm wondering if you'd consider opening a new thread on the K-8 curriculum board for some Spalding chatter. I think it might be helpful for those of us who are trying to work through the method so we can teach it to be able to have a continuing discussion with those who have used it for a while. Let me know what you think! And thanks for being interested in helping!

Ok my 4th edition came yesterday and I read through the whole thing. I think I'm finally getting it :) Ellie, I'm wondering if you'd consider opening a new thread on the K-8 curriculum board for some Spalding chatter. I think it might be helpful for those of us who are trying to work through the method so we can teach it to be able to have a continuing discussion with those who have used it for a while. Let me know what you think! And thanks for being interested in helping!

I think I would like this too. I'm on pins and needles waiting for my manual to come. Next week, I think!

Is First Language Lessons extraneous if you are using the Spalding Method?

It depends on how you use it. Personally, I use it for reading, handwriting, and spelling. I know it can be an entire language arts program, but we use other things to cover those areas.

While I'm waiting for WRTR to get here.... :toetap:

Is First Language Lessons extraneous if you are using the Spalding Method?

No, it is not.

Most hsers don't do Spalding for the extended grammar and composition lessons (although you should read the whole manual, even the parts you don't intend to actually use).

No, it is not.

Most hsers don't do Spalding for the extended grammar and composition lessons (although you should read the whole manual, even the parts you don't intend to actually use).

I cross my heart promise I will read the whole manual through. Multiple times.

Did you do the extended lessons?

My 4th edition arrived today (I already have the 6th). The first thing I noticed is how much clearer and more streamlined the program is presented in the 4th. The method is clearly presented as not needing anything except what Ellie mentioned (paper, pencil, phonogram cards, and the spelling test booklet). PLUS, the phonogram cards are actually in the book; nothing to buy separate. It specifically says you don't need anything else. This is unlike the 6th edition which makes one feel like she needs a grade-level specific manual and books.

The second thing I noticed is that there is a record in the back of the book to listen to the phonogram sounds. I don't have a record player, but it still made me smile. With the 6th edition, one can BUY a CD to hear the sounds.

Thirdly, the font is nice and large and clear. The sixth edition is more flashy in its format and includes a lot of information not in the 4th; however, I think all that extra information just induces confusion to the newbie.

My 4th edition arrived today (I already have the 6th). The first thing I noticed is how much clearer and more streamlined the program is presented in the 4th. The method is clearly presented as not needing anything except what Ellie mentioned (paper, pencil, phonogram cards, and the spelling test booklet). PLUS, the phonogram cards are actually in the book; nothing to buy separate. It specifically says you don't need anything else. This is unlike the 6th edition which makes one feel like she needs a grade-level specific manual and books.

The second thing I noticed is that there is a record in the back of the book to listen to the phonogram sounds. I don't have a record player, but it still made me smile. With the 6th edition, one can BUY a CD to hear the sounds.

Thirdly, the font is nice and large and clear. The sixth edition is more flashy in its format and includes a lot of information not in the 4th; however, I think all that extra information just induces confusion to the newbie.

Yep, I had those same observations when I flipped through my 4th edition. I'm SO glad I bought that one instead of 6th.

Now after reading through it twice there IS something that's bothering me. Many of the paragraphs (it seems at least one per page) is a slightly different font from the rest of the text. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason as to why, it just seems to be random. Sometimes it even starts in the middle of a paragraph/sentence. Anyone else notice this in their 4th edition?;

But besides that, I'm totally in love with it! I don't recall ever learning specific phonograms, so I'm looking forward to memorizing them and teaching them to DD. Then off we go into spelling!

Wow, Lori! I didn't know you didn't have the 4th edition. Enjoy :lol: There are things in there that are not in the later editions and not in LOE.

I really felt the author's voice when reading the 4th. She instilled confidence in me for myself and the method. I really felt like it was all there, and that she wasn't taking advantage of me in any way. With other methods, I'm often been left with a bad taste in my mouth, feel like I've been duped, and am stupid; stupid in general and stupid for falling for the never ending line of purchases that I think will FINALLY fill in the missing pieces.

I prefer to use Alpha-phonics to teach cursive first, and am committed to cursive-first, but I have warm snuggly feelings for my time spent buckled down and committed to working through WRTR 4th long enough to create my own complete student notebook.

I don't have a way to play the record, but just having it in my hands made me feel good. Like I could trust the author. That she had created a curriculum that was designed to make sure the teacher succeeded.

My British reseller wigged out on WRTR. I'm now ordering everything through Spalding International itself once they send the revised estimate for international shipping.

Please please tell me I'll be ok with just the 6th edition and not the 4th. Y'all are making me nervous that I won't be able to do this with just the 6th edition!

My British reseller wigged out on WRTR. I'm now ordering everything through Spalding International itself once they send the revised estimate for international shipping.

Please please tell me I'll be ok with just the 6th edition and not the 4th. Y'all are making me nervous that I won't be able to do this with just the 6th edition!

You'll be fine. :-) The Method is still the same, and if you've only seen the 6th, you won't know what you're missing, lol.

Maybe Ellie knows better, but my recommendation would be to only read the spelling sections at first, and not all of the integrated language arts. Ellie always says read cover to cover, but...you'll have to ask her if she means that for the 6th edition. Cover to cover for the 4th, yes, I agree. For the 6th?

I don't know what to tell you. I was able to teach the spelling list from the 5th and 6th but not the spelling notebook. And I taught that spelling list more passively than I later taught the 4th. I used more copywork and less dictation, before I read the 4th edition. I did SOMETHING, but I didn't do it "right" and I didn't know how to teach the notebook.

I have K and 2 teacher manuals for the 5th edition and they made it worse as much as helped. I understood more exactly what and when I was supposed to accomplish the integrated Language arts, but not how to do it, or exactly what to say to the student. I'd start teaching some of the integrated lessons and be partially successful and then start struggling. I'd buy more stuff, think I finally had it, and start struggling again. I'd switch to another method, struggle, try WRTR again think I had it, start struggling again.

It was like I was in a spiral upward, that was tightening up, but never quite got there, until I put everything else away, even the Riggs and Teaching Reading at Home which supplement the 4th. I just committed to the 4th and actually finished my own copy of the entire student notebook.

I want to tell you what you want to hear. I do. I don't know what is going to happen. I'm not you. I only know my story.

I haven't read the sixth edition completely through yet, but I'd say yes, read it cover to cover, even if you don't plan to do the whole thing. If nothing else, it will give you an overview of the comprehensiveness of the Spalding Method, KWIM? And there might be something in one of those sections that would speak to what you'll do in the spelling lesson, or give you some ideas on how to implement grammar or writing or literature analysis into what you're using to teach those using other methods/materials.

I would also have to disagree that Riggs and Teaching Reading at Home "supplement the fourth edition." Neither of them is Spalding; Riggs is Riggs, and TRAH made some significant changes in the Spalding Method (remember that Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual). I used to own TRAH but I tossed it long ago, which means I cannot tell you what those changes were, but I do remember my hair standing up on the back of my neck, lol.

Maybe I don't know the correct definition of "supplement". You have taught me proper vocabulary before. :lol:

The older Riggs and TRAH, required the use of WRTR 3rd/4th. They were not stand alone products. So what were they? The older Riggs made two small changes, one of which showed up in WRTR 5th, so :D Spalding must have liked that change :D If there are any changes whatsoever, does that disqualify a product from being a supplement?

Maybe I don't know the correct definition of "supplement". You have taught me proper vocabulary before. :lol:

:lol:

I suppose you could sort of squint and call them "supplements," as long as you understand that (1) the manual doesn't need supplementing, (2) they were not Spalding-approved, and (3) they did make changes to the Spalding Method, such that, in my head, they were no longer Spalding but different methods. I'm a Spalding geek, remember. :D

The older Riggs and TRAH, required the use of WRTR 3rd/4th. They were not stand alone products. So what were they? The older Riggs made two small changes, one of which showed up in WRTR 5th, so :D Spalding must have liked that change :D If there are any changes whatsoever, does that disqualify a product from being a supplement?

As I said, I no longer have the original TRAH; I only remember being appalled at some of the changes Sanseri made to the Spalding Method, especially since she subtitled her original book something that implied that it was a supplement to the Spalding Method or WRTR. As I said, that was long ago...1985? '86?. I tossed the book because I never imagined such a thing as the Internet where I'd be discussing it, lol. Sanseri rewrote it, taking off the offending subtitle, then she wrote Spell to Write and Read, her own method, but still clearly a Spalding spin-off. I never saw the Riggs material, until some time in the 90s. It seemed...superfluous.

As I said, I no longer have the original TRAH; I only remember being appalled at some of the changes Sanseri made to the Spalding Method, especially since she subtitled her original book something that implied that it was a supplement to the Spalding Method or WRTR. As I said, that was long ago...1985? '86?. I tossed the book because I never imagined such a thing as the Internet where I'd be discussing it, lol. Sanseri rewrote it, taking off the offending subtitle, then she wrote Spell to Write and Read, her own method, but still clearly a Spalding spin-off. I never saw the Riggs material, until some time in the 90s. It seemed...superfluous.

Every now and then I read something on the Internet that makes me feel very young.

I was born in one of those years.

Ellie, can I ask what you think about the differences between the 4th and 5th editions? I've read a borrowed copy of the 4th a few times, and I've read my own copy of the 5th twice. I could and probably should read it again.

Every now and then I read something on the Internet that makes me feel very young.

And I read something that makes me feel very old.

I graduated high school in one of those years.

Ugh.

There are a few editions of Riggs. The newest one is a lot :lol:. I think I would like it if the author had lived long enough to edit the newest version, but it was thrown out there kind of quickly as a stand alone product after WRTR 4th went OOP, and then she died soon after.

Whippersnapper. :lol:

Ellie, can I ask what you think about the differences between the 4th and 5th editions? I've read a borrowed copy of the 4th a few times, and I've read my own copy of the 5th twice. I could and probably should read it again.

The manuals are night and day, but the method is the same. I can no longer tell what it would be like to read the fifth or sixth editions as a newbie, but there are people in this thread who are, and who have only the fifth (or sixth? not gonna go look!) who have figured out the method just fine. :-) I do like the charts and sample dialogues and whatnot that are in the fifth and sixth editions, and the fact that the spelling words are listed alphabetically in the appendix. :-) Whichever one you have is the one you should use, and in both cases, you need to read it cover to cover multiple times. Remember that a *beginning* Spalding class is over 30 hours. :-)

They have a home educators online course too...$42

http://spalding.org/store/supplies.php

It's near the bottom of the page.

I'm thinking of taking that course some day, just so I can tell y'all what I think about it. :-)

Really, it's quite a good price, even if you do need to buy all of the materials that you may never actually need (such as the teacher guides).

Lori, I think I found free ones online. I think this might not even be under copyright anymore. I think Romalda Spalding used this rather than wrote it. I don't think it's a Spalding product.

Thanks, Hunter! I just googled it and found it online. That saved me some money!

What exactly is Spalding selling then for $13? It seems like it has to be more than the few pages I just downloaded.

Thanks, Hunter! I just googled it and found it online. That saved me some money!

What exactly is Spalding selling then for $13? It seems like it has to be more than the few pages I just downloaded.

I don't think it's anything more than what you downloaded. I personally think Mrs. Spalding must be rolling over in her grave at what has been done in her name.

I don't think it's anything more than what you downloaded. I personally think Mrs. Spalding must be rolling over in her grave at what has been done in her name.

Really, thank you! I had it in my cart for $13 or whatever and then it was another $12 for the cheapest shipping. And I just couldn't do it. GLAD I didn't do it and asked here instead!