Menu

The 6th edition of WRTR came today, and I am glad to report...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the McCall-Crabbs test lesssons in Reading?

I just got a used copy of book A and I think it will be useful, but I'm wondering if I should get the Teacher's Manual or the Comprehension Connection book to make it even better?

Yes, I have some of the McCall books. I actually paid Spalding shipping for them, I think. I was tutoring an ESL student who wanted to rush too quickly towards that test--whatever the name of it is. It really helped for her to chart her comprehension grade level, as she was really good at faking comprehension and I don't think she was even aware of what she was, and was not, understanding. I haven't used them since.

I think there is a Catholic homeschool company that sells some Spalding titles. Maybe I got them from them. Adoremus or something like that.

I don't think you need them Lori, and it will take way from some other things that you are really liking. I'd never get rid of mine, with shipping being the problem it is, but I will only use them in selective situations. They are great, but I have too much other great stuff too.

What exactly is Spalding selling then for $13? It seems like it has to be more than the few pages I just downloaded.

The Spelling Assessment Manual includes the following:

Phonogram Assessments for Kindergarten/First-Grade Students New to Spalding* and instructions for daily oral and written reviews

Phonogram pretests for students who were taught Spalding in first grade and all older students and procedures on the pretesting

Daily spelling assessment procedures for kindergarten/etc.

Weekly assessment procedures*

Monthly assessment procedures*

Pretests for spelling instructional level* and procedures

Table that shows instructional level based on EAL correctly spelled words

Procedures for assessing monthly achievement

Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale (8 lists)

Reproduceable forms

Plus a CD with all the forms

*there's a form for this

The Spelling Assessment Manual includes the following:

Phonogram Assessments for Kindergarten/First-Grade Students New to Spalding* and instructions for daily oral and written reviews

Phonogram pretests for students who were taught Spalding in first grade and all older students and procedures on the pretesting

Daily spelling assessment procedures for kindergarten/etc.

Weekly assessment procedures*

Monthly assessment procedures*

Pretests for spelling instructional level* and procedures

Table that shows instructional level based on EAL correctly spelled words

Procedures for assessing monthly achievement

Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale (8 lists)

Reproduceable forms

Plus a CD with all the forms

*there's a form for this

Is this the book you have, Ellie?

Hunter, thank you for the opinion on the McCall-Crabbs.

Yes, it is the book I have.

As a homeschooler, you can probably do without it, especially if you have a tight budget, and you can find the Morrison-McCall Spelling Scale online. :-) I just wanted y'all to know that I don't think Mrs. Spalding would be rolling over in her grave regarding this, lol.

Ellie have you ever heard or seen the book called phonics for English reading, spelling, & writing streamline express by Pauline M Adamnson. I found it online and it looks exactly like WRTR and its free. Your thoughts.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ngRIYg3wNIAC&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&ots=AJEuzMJnh9&dq=87+phonograms+listed+in+spalding+method&output=html_text

Edited for spelling

Ah. YesPhonics. I won't say what I really think because it wouldn't be kind. I'm surprised that there haven't been any copyright lawsuits over this.

At any rate, because it is so close to Spalding, I'm sure it will teach children to read and spell. :-)

Ellie have you ever heard or seen the book called phonics for English reading, spelling, & writing streamline express by Pauline M Adamnson. I found it online and it looks exactly like WRTR and its free. Your thoughts.

http://books.google....utput=html_text

Edited for spelling

There are threads here about YesPhonics. I used just the TM for a bit before my printer died. YesPhonics is taught a lot more passively than WRTR.

I am teaching the first 54 phonograms. The ones with mulitple sounds give her the most trouble. When I say the sound for each one is it ok if I associate the word on the back on the card with it?

Also, I have the phonogram sound CD from AAR is this suitable to have her listen to for specific sounds or should I be using a different CD?

I am teaching the first 54 phonograms. The ones with mulitple sounds give her the most trouble. When I say the sound for each one is it ok if I associate the word on the back on the card with it?

No. She must know the sounds of each phonogram, unrelated to any word. She'll get the hang of them eventually. :-)

Also, I have the phonogram sound CD from AAR is this suitable to have her listen to for specific sounds or should I be using a different CD?

I have not heard that CD, but I am suspicious of anything that isn't produced by SEI, lol. Actually, the CD is for *you* to listen to, so you can pronounce the phonograms properly when teaching them.

No. She must know the sounds of each phonogram, unrelated to any word. She'll get the hang of them eventually. :-)

I have not heard that CD, but I am suspicious of anything that isn't produced by SEI, lol. Actually, the CD is for *you* to listen to, so you can pronounce the phonograms properly when teaching them.

ok so just teach sound 1 is _ sound 2 _ sound 3 _

She likes listening to the sounds..... I think b/c of my accent its sometimes easier for her to listen to the CD then to me even though I do sound them out each time and she follows. She just keeps telling me that My sound is "different".....

ok so just teach sound 1 is _ sound 2 _ sound 3 _

She likes listening to the sounds..... I think b/c of my accent its sometimes easier for her to listen to the CD then to me even though I do sound them out each time and she follows. She just keeps telling me that My sound is "different".....

There is a script that tells you exactly what to say and what to do when you say it. Follow that script. :-)

The thing is that the sounds on the CD are in isolation from seeing and writing the phonograms, unless you play each phonogram separately while showing the phonogram card and having her write it and say it herself. IOW, you don't just play it like a music CD. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Ms. Ellie - I have received my WRTR 6th edition and read it - cover to cover.

I'm overwhelmed.

I can tell this is the program that will work, once I figure out how to get it to work. I can also tell that this is the program used with me when I was a young child. "Her first nurse works early" has stayed with me 35+ years. I'm thrilled to know this is that program because I know the way I was taught worked. (Folks here are amazed at my spelling abilities in English. Apparently I'm a rare bird indeed.)

Here's the deal, and this is where I'm getting overwhelmed. There is nowhere in the 6th edition that says, clearly, start HERE, go THERE, and then go over YONDER. I get that there's a Spelling Lesson, a Writing Lesson, and a Reading Lesson. I get that you start with the Spelling Lesson. But it's not clear to me when the Writing Lesson is added in, or when the Reading Lesson is begun.

Also - it's not clear to me when Kindergartners start writing the primary notebook vs. learning orally, or when they start writing Rules 1-9 vs. me teaching them on a chart or whiteboard or separate notebook.

If I was in the US I'd probably just punt and buy the Kindergarten Teacher's Guide, but I'm not in the US and getting the manual & cards shipped here cost more than the cost of the manual and cards themselves.

I now understand why y'all were so keen on the 4th edition, which I have not seen. The 6th edition is clear as mud about what to do when for whom.

Help? if you can just point me to the right sections/pages, I might can figure it out.

I'm going to dig in again tomorrow. As confused as I am, reading this manual just makes me happy for some reason (I know, I'm weird, but it's so familiar!).