Menu

Would K12 give me a break? current HOD user

cherylw

I'm seriously considering K12 for next fall and maybe just for a semester...I think :bored: . I want a break from teaching and I think giving the boys accountability to someone else will be a good thing. I'm currently a HOD user and love it. And actually we will be getting to the more independent guides in CTC. I love looking at the new curr and excited about all we will be learning BUT at the same time I also want to clean my house, sew some curtains, paint my bathroom, go to the gym, eat lunch with friends, work part-time (currently doing this now). AND Ds11 is so argumentative and it's driving me nuts. He is constantly complaining about his work assignments (he's dyslexic) and not putting in his best efforts. He says he would work better for someone else :closedeyes: and I think he's right to a point but I still think he will always do just enough to get by. A lot is his personality too not just his academic struggles. If he was in ps I know he would bring a lot of work home because he would be to distracted in a classroom to do it...he was already doing that in 2nd grade before we pulled them out.

Also, I do plan on sending them to ps for high school anyway so after this year I will have 2 years left with the oldest currently in 6th and I'm greatly concerned about them being behind.

Maybe I'm just stressing because state testing is coming up..IDK

K12 is a lot of work. So if your son is complaining now, that probably won't stop. Unless you have a motivated learner, you have to stay on top of them to get all the work done on time. Depending on your state, there are daily attendance requirements to be met, online classes, either weekly or daily, work samples every quarter along with teacher phone conferences. And then there is study Island, which was torture for my son.

You could try it for a semester and see how it goes. I have found some people love it, but a great deal of people that I know that use the public school option have a hard time with all the requirements.

I agree with the above poster. We've done cyber school. It's A LOT of work. I had to stay on top of all of my kids to get all the work done and there is a lot of busy work in my opinion. I actually find doing regular homeschooling is more of a break than cyber schooling. I hope that helps you out...

Are you thinking of enrolling in a virtual charter school that provides K12, or buying K12 yourself? That makes a HUGE difference; enrolling in a charter school seems to diminish the satisfaction with K12, according to what many have said here.

But there are a gazillion other options that could give you a respite that do not involved enrolling in a charter school.

The bad news is, of course, that as a homeschooler there are some things that have to be put on the back burner while the children are young and at home, such as having lunch with friends sans children (you could do a dinner out, if the fathers will be home, though). Even if you enroll your dc in the charter school, you'll still have to be home and supervising. IOW, the charter school might not give you as much freedom as you think it will.

Also, if your ds complains all the time, then I'd absolutely look at something other than HOD, even though *you* love it, and I'd do that way before considering a charter school.

Keep in mind K12 is actually public school at home, NOT homeschooling. Their materials are great, but if you're looking for more freedom and flexibility, K12 is NOT going to help you. Their game, their rules.

That isn't quite accurate.

K12 is only public school at home if the children are enrolled in a *free* government-funded charter school, and then you're absolutely right--their game, their rules, no freedom or flexibility. The children are not enrolled in K12; they are enrolled in whatever the name is of the charter school (usually something clever like California Virtual Academy). However, if you buy it yourself, then it isn't public school at home, and you have all the freedom and flexibility you want.

Okay, this is not going to win me the most popular post-er award.....please imagine me saying this gently and kindly, because I am.

I think you need to do a serious sit down and think about priorities. It sounds to me like you're tired, burned out, you want to do what you want to do and get a break. Nothing wrong with that. K12 is not going to enable you to be out having lunch with girlfriends- you'll still have kids at home, and they can't do it completely unsupervised.

Is home educating and being home with your kids a priority? Then maybe re-evaluate some curriculum choices, see what changes you can make to your routine to make things go more efficiently, look into trading off childcare with a girlfriend or leaving the kids with your husband to get some alone time, or get some additional tutoring/learning help for your one son so he can better succeed. Doing those things might be enough to make you feel you have some breathing room. BUT- if you decide home education and being home with your kids IS your priority, even if you manage some more breathing room/freedom, you'll have to come to terms with the fact that this is just not the season of life for gym time/lunches out/home decorating/extras. It's a fact. Not that none of those things will happen, but you get my drift.

If you decide, no judgment here intended, because it's an individual choice, that what is most important to you at this season of life is painting your bathroom, lunch with your friends, gym time, etc., then the only fair thing to do is send your kids to school, probably. The best way to balance their needs with your desires.

One way to think of it is that you will have the rest of your life to do all those things- I have a hard time imagining that at the end of your life you will have any regrets about lost gym time or cleaning time. Really, relationships are all that we take with us at the end.

Sending you a hug- it's not easy. Hoping you can arrange things in a way that works for you.

Keep in mind K12 is actually public school at home, NOT homeschooling. Their materials are great, but if you're looking for more freedom and flexibility, K12 is NOT going to help you. Their game, their rules.

so so true.

people that geniunely love it do it independently. I liked the curriculum just fine, but the pressures from the school were too much. Even not doing all the work, it was still a ton to do for Kindy. If I could have cut half off the music and art, and gone at my own pace for history I would have been happier.

I hated getting warnings daily when I didn't log attendance by 4pm. Much of our work was done in the evenings. I hated being told we were behind because I wasn't doing history as fast as they wanted me to.

We've never done K12, but I have one teen doing three online classes and one in a local program all day once a week. In one sense it is good because they do work harder for someone else than they do for me, and it allows me to work and homeschool. However, even at a lower level than doing all K12, sometimes I hate the deadlines and schedule limitations. We had to limit play in the snow recently because the deadlines don't change just because part of the country has snow. And when there is a Monday holiday, we're still in school while DH is off.

We decided that three online classes is our maximum. Scheduling the time for class and assignments gets too crazy. Frankly we're much more efficient without the online classes, but they're in areas that I'm weak in and that I feel benefit from the interaction.

And at a certain point you have to accept that your time is not your own when you homeschool, even if you are doing some outsourcing.

The bad news is, of course, that as a homeschooler there are some things that have to be put on the back burner while the children are young and at home, such as having lunch with friends sans children (you could do a dinner out, if the fathers will be home, though). Even if you enroll your dc in the charter school, you'll still have to be home and supervising. IOW, the charter school might not give you as much freedom as you think it will.

I think you need to do a serious sit down and think about priorities. It sounds to me like you're tired, burned out, you want to do what you want to do and get a break. Nothing wrong with that. K12 is not going to enable you to be out having lunch with girlfriends- you'll still have kids at home, and they can't do it completely unsupervised.

Is home educating and being home with your kids a priority? Then maybe re-evaluate some curriculum choices, see what changes you can make to your routine to make things go more efficiently, look into trading off childcare with a girlfriend or leaving the kids with your husband to get some alone time, or get some additional tutoring/learning help for your one son so he can better succeed. Doing those things might be enough to make you feel you have some breathing room. BUT- if you decide home education and being home with your kids IS your priority, even if you manage some more breathing room/freedom, you'll have to come to terms with the fact that this is just not the season of life for gym time/lunches out/home decorating/extras. It's a fact. Not that none of those things will happen, but you get my drift.

If you decide, no judgment here intended, because it's an individual choice, that what is most important to you at this season of life is painting your bathroom, lunch with your friends, gym time, etc., then the only fair thing to do is send your kids to school, probably. The best way to balance their needs with your desires.

One way to think of it is that you will have the rest of your life to do all those things- I have a hard time imagining that at the end of your life you will have any regrets about lost gym time or cleaning time. Really, relationships are all that we take with us at the end.

I can't speak to the particulars of K-12, but I couldn't disagree with these posts more. It's still important to nurture yourself.

Can you lunch with friends daily? No, probably not. But that doesn't mean it has to be all or nothing. Maybe there's a class your kids can take once or twice a month that will give you a few hours to meet up with a friend or do something on your own. Perhaps you can hire a mother's helper to come stay with the children every now and again to give yourself a break. Is there another homeschooling mom who would be up for trading kids one day a month? Do you have a spouse and if so, does your spouse's job have any flexibility to where he can work from home when you need a break? Can you set aside one Saturday per month just for yourself, let your spouse manage the children and their activities for the day and you lock yourself in the sewing room with strict orders that you are not to be disturbed unless someone is bleeding or otherwise seriously maimed, LOL? Does the YMCA offer a homeschool PE class that your children could take while you do your work out?

I think one of the biggest misbeliefs amongst some homeschoolers I've met is that YOU have to be the one doing it all by yourself. No, no, no! We all need help. Recruit your spouse, take advantage of friends and family members who want to spend time with your kids, find a tutor, hire a sitter, sign your kids up for a class or two. Do whatever it takes to find a balance that works well for all members of your family. I know it's cliche, but taking care of yourself is an important part of taking care of your children.

Wabi Sabi, I agree it's important to nurture yourself, and I tried to make that point in my post. I totally agree with you that you need to be creative about getting your needs met and finding a balance. I totally agree it shouldn't be all or nothing. Outsourcing can be a great solution. I only meant that if those extras are to be your PRIMARY focus, that doesn't jive real well with the demands of homeschooling.

I can't speak to the particulars of K-12, but I couldn't disagree with these posts more. It's still important to nurture yourself.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say *not* to "nurture yourself." I did say that when you have young children at home, you have to do things differently, such as dinner out with friends instead of lunch.

Life changes when you have children, which is as it should be. Being a parent obligates you to make lifestyle adjustments. Choosing to homeschool also requires adjustments, and that includes a certain amount of sacrifice on your part. It doesn't mean that you have to totally ignore your own needs, which is not what I said.

We started a virtual academy with k12 about six weeks ago as an experiment. We are actually really liking it. I disagree with pp that says it is not homeschooling. That is not fair to say to anyone and actually quite condescending! Maybe k12 users should not post here then.

I really like the history. We are adding in tapestry of grace historical fiction and activity books. It is more variety with the online class. My dd loves the meetings with her teacher and is quite independent once I organized it all for her. She likes the feedback from the checkpoints. I am surprised at how much I like it. We are trying it to see if it would be a good fit for ds. Her teacher is absolutely delightful. She is a grandmother who homeschooled her kids years ago and went back to get her teaching degree in recent years. Yes you do have to sign up with attendance daily but you can do it with your iPhone. We are out of the house every Wednesday doing other things and just mark "supplemental" on attendance and do more work other days. K12 is like what we were doing but there are some hoops to jump through.

My sil enrolled her dc in Oklahoma's virtual academy, which uses K12. She is very disappointed in the on-line class time. :-p

Legally, if you enroll your children in a government-funded virtual academy, your children are public school students, not homeschooled students (or private school students, depending on the law/court case in your state). It is why you have to keep attendance and do the testing and all that stuff.

My intention was certainly not to be condescending by saying K12 is not homeschooling in the truest sense of the word. I only meant, as Ellie said, that they are legally public/charter school students who are subject to all the rules/regulations/requirements thereof. I didn't mean that it was lesser than/inferior. I just meant if you're looking to have lots of freedom/ability to tweak/drop/add/reconfigure, enrolling in K12 is not the likeliest choice for you.

I'm seriously considering K12 for next fall and maybe just for a semester...I think :bored: . I want a break from teaching and I think giving the boys accountability to someone else will be a good thing. I'm currently a HOD user and love it. And actually we will be getting to the more independent guides in CTC. I love looking at the new curr and excited about all we will be learning BUT at the same time I also want to clean my house, sew some curtains, paint my bathroom, go to the gym, eat lunch with friends, work part-time (currently doing this now). AND Ds11 is so argumentative and it's driving me nuts. He is constantly complaining about his work assignments (he's dyslexic) and not putting in his best efforts. He says he would work better for someone else :closedeyes: and I think he's right to a point but I still think he will always do just enough to get by. A lot is his personality too not just his academic struggles. If he was in ps I know he would bring a lot of work home because he would be to distracted in a classroom to do it...he was already doing that in 2nd grade before we pulled them out.

Also, I do plan on sending them to ps for high school anyway so after this year I will have 2 years left with the oldest currently in 6th and I'm greatly concerned about them being behind.

Maybe I'm just stressing because state testing is coming up..IDK

I don't think K12 will give you the freedom that you're hoping for. :(

How about moving to a 4 day school week, and designating the 5th day as your project day? Instruct the kids to go entertain themselves and leave you alone to work.

How old is your youngest DC (the 4th grader)? Normal 11 year old children can be left unsupervised for an hour or two (gym time!). Evaluate if your younger child is ready for this. Most typical 9 or 10 year old children would be fine. If this sounds totally radical to you, check out this site: Free Range Kids .

Personally, I think K12 for a dyslexic is a nightmare. It's a lot of reading--and you can't adjust the computer screen images for contrast or increased spacing between lines. The backlight of the laptop is also a struggle for my child. Their preferred font is a struggle for one of my children as well. For my non-dyslexic child, the spacing between math problems was an issue. (I re-wrote everything for my kid with vision issues.)

Most of the accountability does not go to someone else. They have written the assignment list, but you are responsible for checking it off. When the phonecall comes that work isn't done, it goes to you. ;)

Can I suggest instead a 4 day a week schedule and going year-round? Take Fridays (or Wednesdays) for yourself......or set a rule that you end at noon one day a week. My ds-11 can be challenging to work with.....we are doing a carrot/stick approach to completing work.