Menu

cuisenaire rods...plastic vs. wooden....what's your preference

genny

I was watching Rosie's video's....Thank you sooooo much for the video's if you see this post :laugh: .... on one of her video's she points out that the plastic rods are a little warped and are not accurate. I just received my order of Miquon items and checked to see if this was true with my plastic rods. They are warped :glare: I'm considering buying the wooden one's but before I fork out more dough, I want to see if it's worth it.

Questions...are they accurate and does the paint chip off easily (I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a question mark on this new computer...it's driving me nuts :lol: )

TIA

I have the plastic ones and most people have said that the bowing isn't a big enough issue to not use the plastic and their kids were fine with it. But I can't stand that 10 tens lined up next to each other isn't the same length as a ten-rod -- so we will be buying wooden rods for our curriculum this fall.

The only complaint about the wooden rods I've heard is they're a bit soft, so easy to dent with teeth marks. That is what turned me off the first time, having toddlers that mouth things still sometimes, but I think I can live with a few teeth marks (IF that happens) more than I can live with the bowing sides of the plastic rods.

We've ended up with 2 small group sets of plastic and one small group of wood. The plastic feel nice, are not warped, and stack well for building. But the wood ones line up evenly when you put the ends of, say, 10 rods against an orange rod, while the plastic ones do not. Sorry I can't comment on durability of the wood ones, as dd is reasonably gentle with them. Ours are fine -- no dents or chips.

Our wood rods were a hand-me-down from a relative and are close to 40 years old. There isn't a mark on them. I don't know if they are made the same now, but they certainly have lasted! None are warped and they line up perfectly. I recently purchased some plastic 100 flats and they line up perfectly with those too.

I bought plastic (to save $) and my mom found some in her attic (30yrs old!) that are wooden. The wooden are a teeny bit aged looking and have a couple of teeth marks, but no big deal. I do prefer the wood. I want more. I will say that the small group set (155) is really not enough for my needs. (Two kids "doing" math and 2 playing!)

We have wood. My children are past the age of chewing on them but they do get thrown around and such. No chips or dents that I've noticed. We have two small group sets. That amount works for us. I wouldn't want less but I don't think more are necessary (though I wouldn't turn them away).

I prefer the plastic ones, as i feel they they are more dense (and dare I saw "woodlike) than the wood ones. But it is not a maor deal either way. The wood ones are soft. If they were hardwood it would be no contest.

We got by with a 155 set, but it might have been handy to have more Ten (Orange) rods for re-grouping.

The one thing I would add is a set (or two) of base-10 "flats." These can be used with C Rods to represent 100 values (same scale). Very helpful. Especially if you use "math names" like 3-Hundreds 6-Tens 5-Units/or Ones for 365.

Bill

I had rr rep see if they fit and she said they work fine together...I guess I'll see when they arrive

They are the same scale as C Rods. So a "flat" (100 value) is 10x10x1 cm.

These really help young children see the relative value of numbers.

Bill

This is the set we have and we love them! Played with regularly and no paint chips.

I like the wood rods much better. So far no problems with denting or chipping and they are really good quality. DD likes to build with them so I purchased a 444 pc. set off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000URL35Y/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Susie

DD(7)

I have both plastic and wood, but prefer wood :)

Same here.

I bought the plastic thinking the kids would have trouble remembering with the wood rods, but I was wrong. They picked up the wood rods easily and they seem to work better.

I want to buy my toddler the jumbo wood rods, but they are only sold on one site and are pretty expensive.

Where do people get 100 base flats?

Most places that sell C Rods also sell base-10 flats. Places like Rainbow have them. Also teacher supply stores often have them if there is one around you. They should be fairly cheap. Maybe $10 or so for a set of 10. Once I saw a set (at Rainbow, I think, but not sure) that was over $20, and that they had a different set for about $8.

There is nothing special about base-10 "flats." Get cheap ones.

Bill

Where do people get 100 base flats?

I have place value blocks from Lakeshore learning.

I LOVE them. They have a 1,000 cube, 100 flats, 10 rods, and the 1 cubes.

I am not sure how much I paid, but they have been worth the price.

Edit : I just checked their site and they don't seem to have the same set. They have one for about the same price, but no 1,000 cube. You could always check the store though. Ours will put old products on clearance.

Same here.

I bought the plastic thinking the kids would have trouble remembering with the wood rods, but I was wrong. They picked up the wood rods easily and they seem to work better.

I want to buy my toddler the jumbo wood rods, but they are only sold on one site and are pretty expensive.

I'm curious why you might think they would remember plastic ones differently than wood ones?

Bill

I'm curious why you might think they would remember plastic ones differently than wood ones?

Bill

The lines. I thought they might need to count them at first. Like maybe they would have trouble remember that blue represented 9, so they could count the lines. I know dumb. Haha. I don't know why I was thinking that in my head. Probably because I was not taught math the Miquon and Singapore way. I had to get rid of my "old style" of thinking.

The lines. I thought they might need to count them at first. Like maybe they would have trouble remember that blue represented 9, so they could count the lines. I know dumb. Haha. I don't know why I was thinking that in my head. Probably because I was not taught math the Miquon and Singapore way. I had to get rid of my "old style" of thinking.

Oh, those scored linking cubes are NOT Cuisenaire Rods (no matter what label some manufacturer slaps on them). They are from the devil :D

Must take deep breaths and avoid rants :p

There are plastic C Rods that are just like wood rods. No lines. No links. Those "other things" should be avoided at all costs.

Bill

I have place value blocks from Lakeshore learning.

I LOVE them. They have a 1,000 cube, 100 flats, 10 rods, and the 1 cubes.

I am not sure how much I paid, but they have been worth the price.

Edit : I just checked their site and they don't seem to have the same set. They have one for about the same price, but no 1,000 cube. You could always check the store though. Ours will put old products on clearance.

I badly wanted a set of ten 1000 cubes when my son was 4. But the best price I could find was $6 a piece and $60 was too rich for my blood. I did think about using some square cardboard boxes that Boxes Ect had, but the size was a little off.

I wish someone made "cubes" out of that dense foam sometimes used for blocks. That way they could be playthings and manipulatives. I even looked into having some custom cut before I gave up.

Bill ( a nut)

I badly wanted a set of ten 1000 cubes when my son was 4. But the best price I could find was $6 a piece and $60 was too rich for my blood. I did think about using some square cardboard boxes that Boxes Ect had, but the size was a little off.

I wish someone made "cubes" out of that dense foam sometimes used for blocks. That way they could be playthings and manipulatives. I even looked into having some custom cut before I gave up.

Bill ( a nut)

I know. I feel my one 1,000 cube is so lonely. LOL.

Not only are they expensive, but then imagine storing that many.

Oh, those scored linking cubes are NOT Cuisenaire Rods (no matter what label some manufacturer slaps on them). They are from the devil :D

There are plastic C Rods that are just like wood rods. No lines. No links. Those "other things" should be avoided at all costs.

Bill

Haha. I was literally laughing out loud while I was putting my youngest to sleep.

I just was thinking are you talking about these plastic cubes ?

UNIFIX-CUBES-Elementary-math-manipulatives-kindergarten-Homeschool.jpg

Haha. I had those too. At first when I saw people talking about C rods, I thought they meant those.

These are the other ones I bought, before realizing I need to just get the wood. They are actually rods, but just have markings.

024117.jpg

Bill

I'm enjoying the conversation.

I believe you, really I do. But why are the scored ones evil? I am planning on buying some C-rods, but I might be tempted to write the number on each rod. Would that ruin my children? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :001_smile:

These are the other ones I bought, before realizing I need to just get the wood. They are actually rods, but just have markings.

024117.jpg

I'm calling an Exorcist :D

Those "connecting" rods are not Cuisenaire Rods. I bet it would make Georges Cuisenaire spin in his grave if he knew someone slapped his name on products that are so antithetical to his vision.

Are you just "baiting" me? :p

Bill

I'm calling an Exorcist :D

Those "connecting" rods are not Cuisenaire Rods. I bet it would make Georges Cuisenaire spin in his grave if he knew someone slapped his name on products that are so antithetical to his vision.

Are you just "baiting" me? :p

Bill

Hahaha..... I promise I will toss them in the trash tonight to rid my home of their evil spirits :thumbup1:

I'm enjoying the conversation.

I believe you, really I do. But why are the scored ones evil? I am planning on buying some C-rods, but I might be tempted to write the number on each rod. Would that ruin my children? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :001_smile:

In all seriousness, the brilliance of Cuisenaire Rods is that they can not be "counted." At least not in the way they are ordinarily used to find sums and differences (missing addends) and the like.

Rather than "counting," children that play with C Rods get used to seeing the combinations of numbers that make a sum. If a whole number is 8, two parts could be 1+7, 2+6, 3+5, and 4+ 4. Getting this concept wired is central skill I doing Whole-Parts Math (aka Asian style Math).

C Rods are a physical representation of both the "number bonds" and the bar method found in Singapore Math.

In contrast "counting" using fingers, beans, little bears, M&Ms, or lined cubes is counterproductive to the mission, and sets up a potential for a lifetime of bad habits.

Bill

Hahaha..... I promise I will toss them in the trash tonight to rid my home of their evil spirits :thumbup1:

I believe melting or otherwise incinerating them is the only way to insure they are truly destroyed :D

Be careful :p

Bill

Haha. I was literally laughing out loud while I was putting my youngest to sleep.

I just was thinking are you talking about these plastic cubes ?

UNIFIX-CUBES-Elementary-math-manipulatives-kindergarten-Homeschool.jpg

Haha. I had those too. At first when I saw people talking about C rods, I thought they meant those.

024117.jpg

The top ones look like Unifix cubes.

Don't feel too bad! (Although I agree with Bill that an exorcist is needed, lol.) I still have my Unifix cubes and connecting rods, both of which I got a long time ago, when I thought more was better and bought nearly every math manipulative LR made. I have the books that go with them too, in pristine condition. There are lots of Unifix cube activities around -- you'd think they would be more useful.

As for the connecting rods, what others have said is so true. The 'real' rods work because you do not count and because they can represent different quantities -- when you are doing fractions for example, an 'eight' can be 'one whole.'

I also wanted to add from my personal experience with a child who has fine motor issues. When dd was small (early elementary), she could not connect or pull apart the connecting rods without a lot of effort. So I had to help: no discovering math, no playing with the rods. Eveni if dc have no fine motor issues, connecting these things puts an unnecessary step into the conceptual math process. The idea with the real rods is that you can arrange them fast to get an answer or just explore mathematical ideas.

I've been happy with my 155 piece bucket of plastic rods (NO scoring). My middle son is the main child to use them in my house so far, and he picked up the number-color correspondence at age 4 right away, much quicker than I did. Likewise, a friend's 4 year old did the same thing. I think it's easier to "get it" if they haven't already had a lot of counting based math instruction.

Thanks to C-rods, my K'er has his basic addition and subtraction facts memorized.

I haven't done anything where plastic vs wood is an issue yet, but my plastic rods line up close enough. I haven't needed to stack them. I just lay them next to each other. While wood may be a bit better for certain things, I haven't felt a need to go out and buy them. Plastic works just fine.

Another benefit to unscored rods is that they are more flexible. You can use them for fractions later and a different color rod could be "one".

Don't write numbers on your rods! My just turned 4yo is pretty accurate with them after only playing a few times. Kids pick it up very quickly. C-rods should be like a second language.

Another benefit to unscored rods is that they are more flexible. You can use them for fractions later and a different color rod could be "one".

Don't write numbers on your rods! My just turned 4yo is pretty accurate with them after only playing a few times. Kids pick it up very quickly. C-rods should be like a second language.

Kids pick up on C-rods pretty quick so definitely don't write on them. I watched the videos from Education Unboxed and then worked with DD like she did in the videos. DD now knows the value of a C-rod by sight. She pitches a fit if we don't use c-rods for math ;)

Susie

DD(7)

wow...what a great response! Thanks for all the opinions....I gave the plastic one's a go today. It's amazing how fast dd picked up on the rod numbers. I was completely clueless and struggling and she was correcting me :D I was afraid she would be confused going from math u see blocks to these but I was wrong. Kids are amazing!

Sort of on topic with the rods, I'm curious to know how those of you who use Miquon go about it. Do you go by book, topic :confused1: I haven't started yet. Just looked it over and go over the "oh my, what is this!" It's a cute program and I think we will enjoy it but I'm not sure how I should go about it. We are currently using Singapore 1B...any suggestions? (I found my question mark button :hurray: )

wow...what a great response! Thanks for all the opinions....I gave the plastic one's a go today. It's amazing how fast dd picked up on the rod numbers. I was completely clueless and struggling and she was correcting me :D I was afraid she would be confused going from math u see blocks to these but I was wrong. Kids are amazing!

Sort of on topic with the rods, I'm curious to know how those of you who use Miquon go about it. Do you go by book, topic :confused1: I haven't started yet. Just looked it over and go over the "oh my, what is this!" It's a cute program and I think we will enjoy it but I'm not sure how I should go about it. We are currently using Singapore 1B...any suggestions? (I found my question mark button :hurray: )

Glad your dd likes the rods.

According to the teacher guides, you can do Miquon pretty much how you/dc want to.

For linking Miquon SM and Miquon, I like to do a book or two of each, rather than a bit of Miquon one day and a bit of SM the next day. Miquon has its own flow, because it links addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions and division into a seamless whole, and I don't want to break that momentum. On the other hand, I don't want to go back and snd do basic SM subtraction after completing the entire Miquon program.

Probably others will have a different way of linking the two programs. I would be interested in the responses too.

In any case, I would begin Miquon in the first book, skipping some pages if necessary, because the program has its own way of doing things. I would also make sure to get the Lab Annotations (the main TM) and the other teacher books.

• 1 year later...