Menu

Celiac and skin care products...

Hikin' Mama

Yes, I avoid them. I haven't used them since a few months after going gluten free, but that's when my joint pain finally went away for good.

I use Kiss My Face for face & body, and Giovanni for hair (KMF hair products all seem to contain wheat germ oil).

What exactly are people avoiding in the products? Like what ingredients?

wheat or barley mostly. wheat is in a surprising number of facial products.

i actually have to avoid xanthan gum, too, which is just as hard, at least among the 'all natural' products. i was looking for a new face cleanser at whole foods, and every single tube had xanthan gum - finally the sales girl handed me a bar . . . of course, the bar doesnt need it!

Just so you know, gluten does not absorb through the skin. The cells are too big to fit through the pores. That said you need to be mindful of not getting any in your mouth or eyes. I can't use any spray products with gluten because inhaling it makes me sick. If I use a body lotion with gluten in it I wash my hand well after. I do not use hand lotion with gluten. Shampoo and conditioner I just keep my eyes and mouth closed while rinsing my hair.

Sauve has a lot of gf hair products. The Baby Body Butter from Body Shop is gf.

I do not use any lip product with gluten in it.

We are very careful to avoid any products with gluten. Vitamin E is made from wheat and causes reactions here. We ended up making everything ourselves. So many medicines and vitamins contain gluten. We avoid those as well, but haven't figured out how to make our own yet.

I wonder about inhalation in shower products. I mean, if the shampoo is mixing into the steam and I'm inhaling it.... Hmmm. Interesting.

I'm also wondering if topical is enough to trigger my gluten sensitivities, since they're non-celiac. So the topical application causes a global autoimmune response.

So many possibilities.

i'm allergic though - allergies can definitely react with the skin . . . you know, like at the allergist? plus if its on your hands it can get in your mouth. and i DO react air-borne. if i can smell bread, i can react to it.

Thanks, all. I am so careful with my diet, but it looks like I need to start making sure my skin care products are gf also. I'm dizzy a lot and wondering if this is from gluten in something I'm putting on my body rather than in it. All my blood work is fine and I'm pretty fit, so I can't really figure out this dizzy thing. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Dizziness could be anything. Low blood sugar, low heart rate, fast heart rate, hormones, lack of certain vitamins and minerals, etc. I get dizzy from my heart beating too slow or too fast. The cardiologist suspects I have nerve damage from celiac/Hashimoto's inflammation.