Menu

Low carb dinner tonight! More menus welcomed to add to my monthly schedule...

sheryl

Thanks to all of you regarding different weight loss programs. While I may not be "no" carb, as we'll still consume some, I'm pleased with tonight's dinner. We're having chicken/spinach quiche. Those are low carb. Also, the whole milk mozzarella is 0 carbs! Eggs....1 gr and mushrooms! What do you think? :)

Sounds delicious!

Yummy low carb entrees:

fajita salad (non low carbers can eat theirs on tortillas)

Eggs and bacon

Grilled steak and steamed cauliflower

Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and yummy meatballs

Chicken casserole with broccoli and cheese

Grilled kebabs with beef or pork and veggies

I used to make quiche in a crust, but I normally don't now. Just consider it a crust-less quiche! :) And, thanks for the menu ideas!!! Adding: forgot spices - sea salt, pepper, ground garlic and yes 1/2 t. ONLY sugar to help blend flavors. It's done now and I may put sliced tomatoes on top, Although those are high in carbs aren't they. But really, what's a slice or two of tomato. :) Also, I've added just a hint of pepperjack cheese in with my natural mozerella (whole milk) cheese from TJ's. Didn't add P.J. tonight though.

I'd make it with plenty of butter or other fat to make up for the lack of carbs. Sounds yummy!

Yep, sounds good - thanks for the tip!!!

What a great idea. We've been trying low-carb for over a month and I have yet to make a quiche! I just searched and found a ton of recipes.

I've made many variations over the years, but I do favor this one.

We had this spiced chicken last night and it was delicious!

http://www.peanutbut...chicken-recipe/

I need to tell you "THIS LOOKS GREAT"! Thanks for sharing.

When we were doing more low carb, one of my kids' favorite side dishes was mock mashed potatoes—you basically steam a head of cauliflower, then mash it with an 8 oz. package of cream cheese. We've also done cauliflower "rice". We did ours plain, but this recipelooks tasty.

Erica in OR

Thanks for that. I found a recipe (actually I think someone here on another thread suggested it) for cheesy smashed cauliflower. Sounds like the same, but I use shredded cheddar! Sour cream sounds good too!

I'm finding that I do best when I stick with just protein and fat. But, I love to cook and try new recipes. Here are a couple that I've made recently that were a hit:

* Exported from MasterCook *

CABBAGE ROLL PIE

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Casseroles Ground Turkey

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 pound ground beef

1 stalk celery -- minced

2 tablespoon onion -- chopped

3 cups cabbage -- chopped, about 8 ounces (3 to 4)

2 tablespoon butter

8 small mushrooms -- chopped, 3 ounces

Salt -- to taste

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Garlic powder -- to taste

1 cup chicken broth

3/4 cup heavy cream

8 ounce cheddar or Monterey jack cheese -- shredded

2 eggs -- beaten

Brown the hamburger, celery and onion in a very large nonstick skillet; drain the fat. Add the cabbage and butter; cook until the cabbage starts to wilt. Add the mushrooms and cook until the cabbage and mushrooms are very soft and start to brown slightly. Season with pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste. Add the broth and cream; bring to boil and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over or evaporate completely. Stir in the cheese, then the beaten eggs. Pour into a greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes until set.

Makes 6-8 servings

Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 453 Calories; 37g Fat; 26g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Per 1/8 Recipe: 340 Calories; 28g Fat; 19g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Description: I got the idea for this from Sue Richbourg's Mexicali Ground Beef and Cabbage Pie. I wanted to create a flavor similar to my Grandma's cabbage rolls, which have a creamy sauce rather than a tomato sauce. This is very good and freezes well. At first it will look like the mixture won't fit in the pie plate but, once everything is cooked down, it will fit just fine.

Source:

"www.lowcarber.org"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I added 1 tablespoon tomato paste and left out the celery and mushrooms. I baked it in a 9x9 pan.

The next two recipes I used for biscuits and gravy:

Sausage Gravy, Quick and Easy

Recipe By :

Categories : Breakfasts & Brunches Sauces & Marinades

Sausage

1 pound Sausage -- pork

8 oz Cream Cheese

1/3 cup cream -- heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt -- seasoning

In a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat, cook and crumble the pork sausage. Drain off the excess fat.

Place the cream cheese into the pan and turn heat to medium-low. The cheese will melt as it is stirred. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring constantly to incorporate the liquid into the sausage/cheese mixture. Add additional water if necessary.

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving): 216.9 calories; 71% calories from fat; 17.3g total fat; 49.9mg cholesterol; 559.9mg sodium; 190.6mg potassium; 1.8g carbohydrates; 0.0g fiber; 0.1g sugar; 1.8g net carbs; 12.8g protein.

Description:

"This is a quick and easy gravy. Serve it hot over eggs, cauliflower or low-carb pancakes. If you like things on the spicier side, you may wish to add some freshly ground black pepper or a few drops of hot chili oil to the gravy."

Source:

"www.diabetes-book.com"

Almost Southern Style Biscuit

Recipe By :

Categories : Breads, Rolls & Crackers

1 T coconut flour -- (heaping)

1 T almond flour -- (heaping)

1 large egg

2 tablespoons sour cream

good pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons water

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray each ramekin with olive oil spray into bottom of each ramekin and smear around with finger. Divide batter and place batter (cornbread consistency) into each ramekin. Microwave on high for 1min 10 seconds (Mine took longer, but I did check it at 1 min 10 seconds and went from there).

Toast in oven after microwaving in order to have a toasted flavor. (I split it after it cooled and pan toasted it instead using 1 tsp bacon grease)

% Daily Values*

Total Fat 0.75g 1%

Saturated Fat 0.75g 4%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 60mg 2%

Potassium 24mg

Total Carbohydrate 6.76g 2%

Dietary Fiber 4.2g 17%

Sugars 1.32g

Protein 3.55g

Net Carbs: 2.56g

Description:

"I used it to make a BLT but the taste and texture was so much like a southern style biscuit that I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich with them tomorrow!"

Source:

"http://www.lowcarbfriends.com"

NOTES : I use extra large eggs so leave out the water. I cooked these in my microwave egg muffin pan.

Sounds good! I eat low carb. This is a great recipe site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Thanks for the site. I'm beginning to realize I need more suggestions. Appreciate it!

We make fritattas (crustless quiches) too. They are delicious!

Tonight I had leftovers from last night's low carb dinner of ground beef and cabbage casserole.

Sounds great - off to print!

I'm finding that I do best when I stick with just protein and fat. But, I love to cook and try new recipes. Here are a couple that I've made recently that were a hit:

CABBAGE ROLL PIE

Recipe By :

Categories : Casseroles Ground Turkey

1 pound ground beef

1 stalk celery -- minced

2 tablespoon onion -- chopped

3 cups cabbage -- chopped, about 8 ounces (3 to 4)

2 tablespoon butter

8 small mushrooms -- chopped, 3 ounces

Salt -- to taste

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Garlic powder -- to taste

1 cup chicken broth

3/4 cup heavy cream

8 ounce cheddar or Monterey jack cheese -- shredded

2 eggs -- beaten

Brown the hamburger, celery and onion in a very large nonstick skillet; drain the fat. Add the cabbage and butter; cook until the cabbage starts to wilt. Add the mushrooms and cook until the cabbage and mushrooms are very soft and start to brown slightly. Season with pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste. Add the broth and cream; bring to boil and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until reduced and thickened. Watch closely so it doesn't boil over or evaporate completely. Stir in the cheese, then the beaten eggs. Pour into a greased 10-inch pie plate. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes until set.

Makes 6-8 servings

Can be frozen

Per 1/6 Recipe: 453 Calories; 37g Fat; 26g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Per 1/8 Recipe: 340 Calories; 28g Fat; 19g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

Description: I got the idea for this from Sue Richbourg's Mexicali Ground Beef and Cabbage Pie. I wanted to create a flavor similar to my Grandma's cabbage rolls, which have a creamy sauce rather than a tomato sauce. This is very good and freezes well. At first it will look like the mixture won't fit in the pie plate but, once everything is cooked down, it will fit just fine.

Source:

"www.lowcarber.org"

NOTES : I added 1 tablespoon tomato paste and left out the celery and mushrooms. I baked it in a 9x9 pan.

The next two recipes I used for biscuits and gravy:

Sausage Gravy, Quick and Easy

Recipe By :

Categories : Breakfasts & Brunches Sauces & Marinades

Sausage

1 pound Sausage -- pork

8 oz Cream Cheese

1/3 cup cream -- heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt -- seasoning

In a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat, cook and crumble the pork sausage. Drain off the excess fat.

Place the cream cheese into the pan and turn heat to medium-low. The cheese will melt as it is stirred. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring constantly to incorporate the liquid into the sausage/cheese mixture. Add additional water if necessary.

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving): 216.9 calories; 71% calories from fat; 17.3g total fat; 49.9mg cholesterol; 559.9mg sodium; 190.6mg potassium; 1.8g carbohydrates; 0.0g fiber; 0.1g sugar; 1.8g net carbs; 12.8g protein.

Description:

"This is a quick and easy gravy. Serve it hot over eggs, cauliflower or low-carb pancakes. If you like things on the spicier side, you may wish to add some freshly ground black pepper or a few drops of hot chili oil to the gravy."

Source:

"www.diabetes-book.com"

Almost Southern Style Biscuit

Recipe By :

Categories : Breads, Rolls & Crackers

1 T coconut flour -- (heaping)

1 T almond flour -- (heaping)

1 large egg

2 tablespoons sour cream

good pinch of salt

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons water

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Spray each ramekin with olive oil spray into bottom of each ramekin and smear around with finger. Divide batter and place batter (cornbread consistency) into each ramekin. Microwave on high for 1min 10 seconds (Mine took longer, but I did check it at 1 min 10 seconds and went from there).

Toast in oven after microwaving in order to have a toasted flavor. (I split it after it cooled and pan toasted it instead using 1 tsp bacon grease)

% Daily Values*

Total Fat 0.75g 1%

Saturated Fat 0.75g 4%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 60mg 2%

Potassium 24mg

Total Carbohydrate 6.76g 2%

Dietary Fiber 4.2g 17%

Sugars 1.32g

Protein 3.55g

Net Carbs: 2.56g

Description:

"I used it to make a BLT but the taste and texture was so much like a southern style biscuit that I'm going to make a breakfast sandwich with them tomorrow!"

Source:

"http://www.lowcarbfriends.com"

NOTES : I use extra large eggs so leave out the water. I cooked these in my microwave egg muffin pan.

OK, Rose, these are just great! I LOVE cabbage! Excellent. Off to print these too! :) Thanks to everyone!