Menu

If you have a B&W Laser Printer, do you still have a Color Printer?

acsnmama

I have a HP inkjet printer, with scan/copier. It works alright. I bought a Brother B&W laser printer at Staples this past week. I have yet to set it up, because I desperately want a color laser printer. While I have seen some with good reviews, none have a copier, unless I buy one that is higher in cost, and that would be ok, but I am finding varying reviews and just don't know which one to choose!

I've thought about keeping the current printer we have for color printing purposes only, otherwise using the Brother for making copies and printing other things. I just would prefer NOT to have 2 printers, we don't have much space for it, but can make it work if we have to...

Inkjet's are just so much more expensive, I printed some color pages recently, and have had the ink for about a month and it's already out? It shouldn't be. I haven't printed nearly the amount of pages the cartridge can supposedly print! I'd rather have a color laser to just cover all basis!

What do you do?

I have a Brother laser (monochrome) and an oldish HP ink jet, plus my DH has a newer HP ink jet that scans and copies (I can stick 50 sheets in the feeder and tell it to scan both sides of each page and save in a single PDF file on a USB stick - LOVE that feature!).

I use my laser printer for most everyday things, but still keep the color printer next to it for the odd color things I need to do. Then I use my DH's printer to scan large amounts of pages relatively quickly.

I also just got the Brother laser printer this week. We have a Kodak color printer that goes through ink like water. It uses the color to make black so it would use it up even if I didn't print color. We are keeping it tho for my dh's work. If I need color, or to copy and fax, we will use it. For most things tho, the B&W laser printer will work just fine. I love how quickly and cleanly it prints. Yeah, a color laser printer would have been lovely, but they cost so much...

i have b&w laser and old HP inkjet and separate scanner. the inkjet is ONLY used for color printing (in fact, its unplugged otherwise cuz we're short on plugs), but luckily the cartridges in this thing dont seem to evaporate like the Brother multi-purpose my mom tried to hand down to us.

I have a Brother laser (monochrome) and an oldish HP ink jet, plus my DH has a newer HP ink jet that scans and copies (I can stick 50 sheets in the feeder and tell it to scan both sides of each page and save in a single PDF file on a USB stick - LOVE that feature!).

I use my laser printer for most everyday things, but still keep the color printer next to it for the odd color things I need to do.

This what we will do too!

We switched completely to a Brother B&W Laser printer a few years ago. I thought I'd miss the color option more -- once in a while it's nice, but I've been quite satisfied without it. I did take a flash drive over to Office Depot 2-3 times to print off a couple of color pages, and that filled the need. ;) Just a few months ago we added a color inkjet multi, primarily because we also needed fax and copy capabilities. I thought I would be tempted to do more printing in color now that it's here, but I haven't printed but ONE document in color since then! I just love the laser... and the price on printing with it!

Have you tried the ink cartridge cleaning function? If I don't use the color ink jet printer for a while the little nozzles get clogged, but running a cleanout print cycle usually fixes it. We only use the ink jet for printing photos and the mep copymasters--everything else is b & w on the laser printer.

I also just got the Brother laser printer this week. We have a Kodak color printer that goes through ink like water. It uses the color to make black so it would use it up even if I didn't print color. We are keeping it tho for my dh's work. If I need color, or to copy and fax, we will use it. For most things tho, the B&W laser printer will work just fine. I love how quickly and cleanly it prints. Yeah, a color laser printer would have been lovely, but they cost so much...

yep, we have a b/w laser that we use for everything and a kodak aio specifically for copy/scan/color. but it does go through ink like crazy. i hate that if one cartridge is low it won't print ANYTHING. of course, the lamp just went out on it so the copy/scan feature no longer works and i'm DYING.

We also just bought a Brother black and white because I was tired of the inkjet eating ink. I still have an old Canon color copier however with cartridges that I can re-fill. If you have a printer with refillable cartridges, it makes the color copying quite a bit less expensive. Just google on toner refills to check your printer. You can buy a refill kit that will give you a tiny screwdriver to drill a hole in your cartridge and a syringe to squirt the toner in. You can refill a cartridge about three times before it just won't work that well anymore.

I still had a color inkjet when I had my brother laser.

When the Brother needed its maintenance at 10k+ (the drum?, it was going to be $80), I went printer shopping before dropping more money on it. First stop was consumer reports and price per page. Turns out the HP office jet I bought was cheaper to print on than my brother! I have to say I feel that way too in use. The 88XL ink cartridges go 3000+ copies on the Black (and I use mostly draft, so i get that many), and about 1500 on the colors.

I can say that I'm pretty in line with printing cost per the CR article, and I gave the ex the brother laser. :D

My parents have a brother color laser but still use their HP laser because it is cheaper to use and maintain. They also have an Epsom something or another for faxing and scanning.

Scanner wise, I LOVE my snap scan printer. Now that is the best money I ever resisted spending!!!

I have a Brother b&w laser printer with a scanner/copier that we use for the vast majority of our printing. I've had it for 2.5 years, have printed many thousand pages and I'm on my third toner refill. I buy generic toner on Amazon for $11ish. Can't beat it, IMO. I regularly print out entire books, hundreds of pages at a time, without blinking an eye. The copier function is also priceless, IMO. It is used several times a day.

However, there were still occasions that I wanted to be able to print out something in color so we also picked up a cheap ink jet. Using an instant rebate and Staples reward money on top of the sale price it cost us $7! Once again I went searching on Amazon for generic ink. I found a package of 2 high capacity black ink cartridges and one each of the other colors for $9! Very cost effective and works just fine for our needs.

Once I finally get a laser printer/copier/scanner, the inkjet is in the box. We so very rarely print anything in color and, when we do, it's always something that needs to look nicer than a regular old inkjet can manage. It's more cost-effective for me to send those few jobs to the UPS store to print.