Menu

Free Books + Audiobooks from Amazon & Audible

Apparently Amazon & Audible have been running a promotion for their new Whispersync technology, offering free books and audiobooks.

I picked up the following today for free:

* The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (narrated by Anne Hathaway)

* The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (narrated by Elijah Wood)

* Gulliver's Travels

* The Three Musketeers

* A Tale of Two Cities

* Dracula

* Jane Eyre

* A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Go to Amazon first and buy the free Kindle edition, and then you'll get a link to download the free audiobook from Audible.

There were a lot more classics that were between $0.49 and a couple of dollars for the audiobook after purchasing the free book at Amazon: A Little Princess, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and some others. (Although you can also get Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass audiobooks for free at Storynory.)

Even The Hunger Games were $5-6 for the Amazon book, and then $3-4 for the Audible version.

I guess this promotion has been running since September, but I just discovered it!

Ditto. I just use a Kindle app (which is to say, I don't really use it since it is a pain to read on it) but I love Audible. When the promotion started there were 27 completely free books--all Classics. If you search the boards you can probably find the original thread.

I listed all the free/cheap versions I could find with instructions on how to get the deal on my blog a couple weeks ago:

http://www.simplyconvivial.com/2013/free-or-cheap-audible-audio-books

We're enjoying the free Audible audio books! I "own" the free kindle versions, too, but we don't have a kindle. I love audio books, though, and this is a great deal to beef up your audio resources for very little.

I have a Kindle Fire HD. I went to the Kindle for PC app on Amazon, but didn't see an free offer on Audible books. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here's a link to the list of the free books (10 are listed right now). Or you can go to Amazon.com and search for the title of the book you are looking for. Limit your results to Kindle books and look for the version that is $0.00 (it will usually have a very simple cover).

When you click through to the book's information page, you'll see a box that says:

"Whispersync for Voice

Now you can switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible audiobook. Learn more

Add the professional narration of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for a reduced price of $0.00 after you buy this Kindle book."

After you check out, you'll be given a link to Audible.com for the corresponding audio book version.

Here's a link to the list of the free books (10 are listed right now). Or you can go to Amazon.com and search for the title of the book you are looking for. Limit your results to Kindle books and look for the version that is $0.00 (it will usually have a very simple cover).

When you click through to the book's information page, you'll see a box that says:

"Whispersync for Voice

Now you can switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible audiobook. Learn more

Add the professional narration of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz for a reduced price of $0.00 after you buy this Kindle book."

After you check out, you'll be given a link to Audible.com for the corresponding audio book version.

Thanks! I picked up several.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks EmilyK. I had a $10.00 credit at Audible; I don't know why :confused:.

For 40 cents, I just got

A Little Princess

Walden

Indian Fairy Tales

Pollyanna

The Cat of Bubastes

Ben-Hur

Little Men

The Railway Children

The Secret Garden

Heidi

:hurray:

• 4 weeks later...

There isn't the read-along aspect to it obviously, you'd have to have a copy of the book or just be happy with the audio, but Librivox always has audios of the classics for free. And most have several different readers, so if you don't like the reader of this one, just download a different one.

So long as the copyright is in the public domain, it's on Librivox.