Menu

math textbooks

I realize I think I have been doing my kids (5th graders) a disservice not being able to stick with one math textbook. We are in California and following their state standards and we take Star testing so I need to prepare for Star testing every year.

Things we have tried:

I have been looking at Saxon (Saxon Algebra 1/2 even looks too easy) but it seems so repetitive and everything looks like they have covered it.

We have been using grade level State textbooks (no teachers manual-makes correcting hard) here and there but it is hard to follow sometimes and not enough practice. Besides why do they teach radius and diameter and circumference without also teaching the area as well. It is set for another grade level. Why not just teach all of that and get circles all over with? Why are all the textbooks the same year after year? In general I don;t like their teaching method.

We also have been doing singapore math but 3rd grade level. we are not at grade level with that because of the bar method. We had to back track to understand those. They are moving slowly with Singapore.

We did Teaching Textbooks 5th grade last year and the girls were bored to tears. They learned that all previous year and basically learned nothing last year because of it.

Right Start and Math U SEE ---doesnt' cover state standards per se.

Beast Academy- ummm..not quite a complete curriculum as of yet.

So help...

Hm, its hard to tell where they are really at with all these different sources (TT, SM, Saxon, etc...). I don't really understand how Saxon Algebra looks too easy on the one hand while they are doing SM 3rd grade on the other?

If your goal is to work toward the state standard then SM is a good option. But if the methods are too slow, put them too far behind or not a good fit for them, etc.. then find something they can stick with throughout the remainder of elementary Math. Maybe have them take some placement tests and try some samples of other programs such as MM, CLE, R&S, etc... Or just stick with SM for better or worse until they get through 6th grade. To catch up you may need them to devote more time toward math 'for a season.' Consider math during Summer.

Bottom line, yes, jumping around too much can become very disjointed. However you need a good spine to work from and continue with even if you supplement with other resources to meet the state standard scope. The only problem with this could be too much focus on 'The Test' vs. their actual learning and understanding of math itself.

In terms of meeting the state standards, I would just pick up a Spectrum California STAR Test Practice workbook and figure out which specific topics need to be reviewed or covered before the test. Math Mammoth has a ton of free worksheets available, and their grades 4-6 bundle is only $57 (less if you can hold off until the HSBC group buy in March). Then use whatever program you like as your "spine".

Well much of Singapore Math is easy for them.All review. They can do all of it just fine but not using the bar method. We are back tracking to make sure they get the bar method down. They know the formulas for areas/circumference of circle, area/perimeters of various polygons, volume, surface area, adding integers, fractions, decimals and some percents. All of these things aren;t even in Singapore math 3 yet. The reason they know this stuff is because I used a grade level standardized textbook to teach them these things without using the Singapore Way. I guess it is faster for me to open a textbook and teach it to them the way I was taught but probably be better if they learned straigh away the Singapore Way but it takes time for me to learn it that way. So first I have to learn it and then present it to them. Which is SLOW going.

Yes we plan to school during the summer. I was planning to continue on with a state textbook grade 6 but it looks like it just repeats 5th grade stuff.

For volume, surface area, perimeter, area, circumference---we measure stuff around the house and compute.

Is the problem more with going 'back' to learn the SM way or getting them up to grade level in all areas? It sounds like both are your goals right now which aren't necessarily bad per se. But because you were taught a different way at this point maybe something else like MM would be easier to get them to grade level, especially since they only have one more year of elementary left. I think MM is standards based as well if that is a concern. However I see you have others younger dc. So maybe you are thinking you want to go SM with the rest of them. And in that case you are learning it at the same time they are.

How solid are they in Fractions and Decimals and Percents?

If they are solid, maybe sigh, figure Singapore might have been nice, but that ship has perhaps sailed, and the kids are ready for a pre-algebra program? Ditch the state textbook and get a good solid program and move on. If you teach them well and solidly, the test will take care of itself. (Or, as a PP suggested, get the Spectrum test prep book and spend a couple of weeks with that before testing).

In terms of meeting the state standards, I would just pick up a Spectrum California STAR Test Practice workbook and figure out which specific topics need to be reviewed or covered before the test. Math Mammoth has a ton of free worksheets available, and their grades 4-6 bundle is only $57 (less if you can hold off until the HSBC group buy in March). Then use whatever program you like as your "spine".

I agree. For the STAR testing, find a prep book that folks like and work from that.

I suggest not getting hung up on the Singapore bar method -- certainly don't let it hold you back; as a PP said, that ship has sailed -- but moving forward in Singapore with the other parts of the program. The bar method is essentially a workaround for problems that normally require algebra; and once they learn algebra, they will have much easier, simpler, more elegant solutions to those problems. This is not to say that the bar method has no value; just that is is not the essence of math education, and I don't think it should hold a child back.

Singapore is a terrific way to get a strong math ed. and do well on the STAR. Perhaps stick with it, don't let the bar problems hold you back, and if you like set aside 5-10 minutes a day to just work on the bar method problems? (we have dropped them entirely, but there are other things I wouldn't drop so I understand if you want to keep them)

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about STAR testing this year-- there just isn't that much time b/w now and the time for the test. (I mean, do them if you want to, but don't stress too much over the results). It's not as if colleges are going to ask for your kids' results on the STAR tests! I would just keep at it with Singapore -- maybe even work at it over the summer -- and try to get them caught up by next year. Slow and steady wins the race. I think getting prep books now will just distract from your core math program and that defeats your ultimate purpose(s) -- i.e., establishing consistency and steadily building on concepts previously taught.

Ok so what I have been doing is using our state textbook (with no answer key) as our spine ( i just open it up and find stuff my kids havent learned and needs to be covered and we do on board a few problems and the kids do a few problems on the own and then we are done for the most part) and everything else (Key to Decimals, Percents, Beast academy, Singapore 3, CWP) as supplement or review on their own when I am working with the younger kids. I am finding that they are making quite a few mistakes in the supplements. They also do Study Island daily.

But I am not liking our state textbook. I guess that is the issue.

I have been giving them the released questions Star test and other similar tests to Star and not per se liking the results. So something isn;t working as well as I thought.

For those saying to stick with Singapore, just give them workbook to do...will that be enough or should I add in all the work in textbooks and teacher's guide?

yes these kids were in regular ca public school through 3rd grade and it has been catch up ever since-trying to find the right materials and such.

to do it all over again i would have started with Miquon/ education unboxed/rightstart a for preschool and k (would that be too redundant?)

then to singapore with math u see videos and crewton house of math

Instead...we did a combo of Teaching Textbook 5 (was too easy) and Key to Fraction and Decimals (was too hard) last year and supplemented here and there with Saxon 54.

I would pick Singapore as a spine and use the textbook and workbook, with answer key, at the very least. HIG is a huge plus as there are added exercises as well as the answers to the problems. Just stick with it and keep at it. Don't try to supplement initially. Get them solid and caught up on the basics.

For those saying to stick with Singapore, just give them workbook to do...will that be enough or should I add in all the work in textbooks and teacher's guide?

Is it for your children in 4th and 5th grade?

I would give them the workbook to do but ask that they do it on wide-ruled/college ruled paper instead of write in the workbook For those that they can't do, go back and revise those topics with the textbook. Do the unit tests in the textbook just to make sure topics are understood.

The STAR testing is two months away. Borrow the Spectrum test prep books from the library and just let your children try them. It does not have to be the newest edition.

yes they are twins.. i have workbooks for each so I would just have them do the workbooks but again it is singapore 3a and they are bored doing the multipllication and division over and over again. I should define moving slowly in Singapore. Moving slowly means they are bored to tears with it and just do a page or two a day and that is it. I am sure they should be doing more than two pages a day.

oh ok..the unit tests in the textbook...good idea. thanks.

I guess I am terrified by Singapore because it is so foreign to me. I learned math so differently.

i have workbooks for each so I would just have them do the workbooks but again it is singapore 3a and they are bored doing the multipllication and division over and over again.

Do you have the singapore math 4A and 4B textbooks? The unit tests are called Reviews and there are 11 altogether. The standards edition textbooks match well to California's content standard.

Multiplication and Division is in 4A and 4B too.

The same bar model techniques are used in each level, and CWP explains them pretty well, but... I also wouldn't hold them back because of bar models. They won't need them once they learn algebra.

Have you given them a placement test to see where they should be in Singapore? I would start there if you want to continue it. Use the HIG if you don't understand the Singapore methods. The explanations are in the HIG, not the textbook or workbook.

Find where the kids should be, and start there, going systematically through the program. If you use Standards Edition, you'll be covering the CA standards.