Menu

Catholic curriculum & educational philosophy "social group"

Since the Catholic Homeschooling social group is in board limbo, I thought it might be helpful to have a thread to discuss Catholic curricula, what our faith teaches about teaching, and other topics directly related to home education in the Catholic tradition. I hope it's okay to put this here. If not, moderators, please feel free to obliterate it.

Non-Catholics are welcome, with the understanding that this isn't a place for general questions or debate about the faith. And I hope that everyone can be polite, including those who disagree on methods or materials. "The calf and the lion, and the sheep shall abide together," and a little smiley shall lead them: :leaving:

Well, okay, maybe he'll come back later. :)

Something I've been wondering about:

A while back, I read about a Montessori school where the students would put a large map on the floor, and arrange small figures of saints in the places where they lived. This could be part of their history or geography lessons. The students could also move the figures around to show the people's voyages.

I was imagining that this would require little painted 3-dimensional figurines, which is a daunting task just for a single family. But I just realized that we can stick pictures to cardboard, cut them out, and insert them in the sort of base that's used for game pieces.

So, my question: Can anyone suggest a source for a large selection of saint pictures that are a few inches tall, of very good aesthetic quality, and fairly consistent in style? (I'd prefer not to cut up holy cards, even if they haven't been blessed. That might give the wrong impression to my little folks who don't understand the difference.)

Those cards are very well done, but IIRC many of them only show the people's heads (same goes for the cards from The ABC's of Christian Culture & Classically Catholic Memory). For the map work, I'm looking for ones with the whole body. Like an "action figure." :D

Anyone use Catholic Icing's Preschool curriculum for prek or just for family use? I'm thinking about ordering it, but I'd like some more specific feedback. Thanks!

I'm planning to use this as a religious supplement next year for DS. He'll be doing kindergarten, but I've heard that Catholic Icing's program is more religion instruction than it is "PreK academic", kwim?

I had a question for Light to the Nations users.

Does the teacher's manual have extension activities and project ideas?

I'm really up in the air about Oak Meadow or LTTN - I know that OM has some great projects and since my sons will be older (and maybe less "in the way" regarding projects), it should work better than it did last year; on the other hand, I'd REALLY prefer to use LTTN - but my daughter hates history and I really need a way to make it interesting (something more than just *reading* and *answering questions*). I do NOT want to plan the projects myself :p

I was imagining that this would require little painted 3-dimensional figurines, which is a daunting task just for a single family. But I just realized that we can stick pictures to cardboard, cut them out, and insert them in the sort of base that's used for game pieces.

So, my question: Can anyone suggest a source for a large selection of saint pictures that are a few inches tall, of very good aesthetic quality, and fairly consistent in style? (I'd prefer not to cut up holy cards, even if they haven't been blessed. That might give the wrong impression to my children who don't understand the difference.)

I heard about this group, but they only have one figurine out so far & it looks like they'll be pricey.

Had you thought about printing out the images from something like this (garden statues) site? I found St Anthony, St Bernadette, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Faustina, St. Isadore, St. Padre Pio, St. Patrick, St. Theresa, St. Peregrine, St. Kateri, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, Bl. Pope John XXIII, St. Dominic, St. Henry, St. Barbara, St. Benedict, St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Gerard, St. John Bosco, etc. You get the idea.

Just save the image(s) & print them in the "same size" (8 per page?). Good luck!

A while back, I read about a Montessori school where the students would put a large map on the floor, and arrange small figures of saints in the places where they lived. This could be part of their history or geography lessons. The students could also move the figures around to show the people's voyages.

So, my question: Can anyone suggest a source for a large selection of saint pictures that are a few inches tall, of very good aesthetic quality, and fairly consistent in style? (I'd prefer not to cut up holy cards, even if they haven't been blessed. That might give the wrong impression to my children who don't understand the difference.)

Maybe Happy Saints?

http://www.zazzle.com/happysaints

I heard about this group, but they only have one figurine out so far & it looks like they'll be pricey.

Hmm, for some reason I can't get that site to load.

I didn't know there was an organized group doing this in our own time. I actually read about it in The Child in the Church, a book of older essays on Montessori education. (Excellent book, BTW, and still in print, but a bit hard to find. I've only seen it for sale here.)

Had you thought about printing out the images from something like this (garden statues) site?

Brilliant! I was thinking of looking for images of holy cards or coloring pages, but statues are sure to include the all-important torsos, legs and feet. :)

Brilliant! I was thinking of looking for images of holy cards or coloring pages, but statues are much more likely to have the all-important torsos, legs and feet. :)

I know Adoremus books has a TON of saint statues, so their website of course has lots of photos of the statues. Or it would be fun to use medals (the small cheap oval ones) and put them on some kind of base, so they're like game pieces (the tall kind like in Sorry). You could even make a base for holy cards, or use some from board games like Clue Jr, where you slide the card in & out of the base, and not need to cut them, and swap them out however you want.

So, my question: Can anyone suggest a source for a large selection of saint pictures that are a few inches tall, of very good aesthetic quality, and fairly consistent in style? (I'd prefer not to cut up holy cards, even if they haven't been blessed. That might give the wrong impression to my little folks who don't understand the difference.)

What about peg dolls? (I like tactile) I think St. Luke's Brush are some of the most detailed I've seen. They're a bit expensive, but, if you're artistic, the pegs sell at the craft store for about 3 dollars a pack.

I had a question for Light to the Nations users.

Does the teacher's manual have extension activities and project ideas?

I'm really up in the air about Oak Meadow or LTTN - I know that OM has some great projects and since my sons will be older (and maybe less "in the way" regarding projects), it should work better than it did last year; on the other hand, I'd REALLY prefer to use LTTN - but my daughter hates history and I really need a way to make it interesting (something more than just *reading* and *answering questions*). I do NOT want to plan the projects myself :p

I love LTTN, but I don't have the TM. If you combined some of the projects in Connecting with History might it work?

Shoot! Just lost my other post. I googled around and found this site: http://www.totallycatholic.com/subcategory/plastic_inexpensive_saints_statues. Maybe you could just use these plastic saint statues.

Or maybe you could use holy cards. You could make holders for them out of hardening clay. You could make a ball of clay, flatten one side so it stands up, make a slit on the top for the card to sit in and then let it harden. It wouldn't be action figures but I bet the kids would think they are cool. With holy cards you could cover a lot more saints. The number of saints would be limited by how many actually little statues you can buy.

I have used Catholic Icing. I think it is pretty good. Some of the crafts are a little too expensive for the supplies and complicated for the return you get on engaging the child. But if you need a go to resource for Catholic preschoolers, it does a pretty good job.

Thanks for all the "saint figure" suggestions! I'm going to go with RootAnn's idea of using images of statues, since there's an almost unlimited variety and they fit my original plan the best. I'm sure some crafty people will find the others helpful, though. :)

I am tossing in the air two options for world history next year; Light to the Nations and Oak Meadow. I had heard mentioned, in another post, that some Catholics take issue with Oak Meadow. Could anyone elaborate as to why?

The OM texts appear easier to read - a definite consideration for my dyslexic 11 year old. I love the *idea* of LTTN, but I still don't know that she would take anything away from it :(

I do not, however, want to support a company that is in any way "anti Catholic" in sentiment.

I am tossing in the air two options for world history next year; Light to the Nations and Oak Meadow. I had heard mentioned, in another post, that some Catholics take issue with Oak Meadow. Could anyone elaborate as to why?

The OM texts appear easier to read - a definite consideration for my dyslexic 11 year old. I love the *idea* of LTTN, but I still don't know that she would take anything away from it :(

I do not, however, want to support a company that is in any way "anti Catholic" in sentiment.

I'm unfamiliar with either of those, but we're planning on using RC History Connecting with History. It's another option to consider. (The "RC" stands for "Roman Catholic.")

Oak Meadow is a sort of "Waldorf lite" method, but it's still influenced by Anthroposophy, a belief system that's incompatible with the Catholic faith. This old thread has a few posts of mine on specific details of their lessons that send up red flags for me:

Waldorf curriculum?

Some other links on Anthroposophy and Waldorf:

Anthroposophy by Fr. John Hardon

Anthroposophy/Waldorf and Catholic Homeschooling by Johnette Benkovic

Note: I realize that there are Catholics who choose to use Oak Meadow. With Anthroposophy, as with other aspects of New Age, we know we're supposed to avoid them in general, but there's no explicit Church teaching as to how much influence is too much. The above links are simply meant to answer the question of why "some Catholics take issue with" this curriculum.

Oak Meadow is a sort of "Waldorf lite" method, but it's still influenced by Anthroposophy, a belief system that's incompatible with the Catholic faith. This old thread has a few posts of mine on specific details of the lessons that send up red flags for me:

Waldorf curriculum?

Some other links on Anthroposophy and Waldorf in general:

Anthroposophy by Fr. John Hardon

Anthroposophy/Waldorf and Catholic Homeschooling by Johnette Benkovic

Note: I realize that there are Catholics who choose to use Oak Meadow. With Anthroposophy, as with other aspects of New Age, we know we're supposed to avoid them in general, but there's no explicit Church teaching as to how much influence is too much. The above links are simply meant to answer the question of why "some Catholics take issue with" this curriculum.

Thanks for the links Eliza. Very interesting.

I know nothing about Waldorf. I mean, at all. It just looked like a good hands on world history program with a lower reading level to me, lol.

I'm off to read the second link now. Thanks again! If you have anything else to add re Catholics and waldorf, please let me know. I need to figure out history fairly quickly. Lol.

Oak Meadow is so far removed from actual Waldorf that there is only the lightest of resemblances. People who are really into Waldorf think they sold out. And anyway there are methods used in Waldorf that can be used completely divorced from Anthroposophy. So you really aren't treading on dangerous ground if you decide Oak Meadow is best suited for dd. You might want to add in some Catholic history to enrich things for her, but honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about in that regard.

Aimee -- Nothing to add about Waldorf (unless you have a question about something I posted). But I did find a sample of the LTTN teacher's manual on the Emmanuel Books site. It doesn't look as if there are a lot of hands-on projects, but maybe you can use an activity book as a supplement? So far, I've found it fairly easy to find these types of resources, but good textbooks are much more rare and worth hanging on to. :)

History Links have some interesting ideas, and they're Catholic, but they only go up to the early Middle Ages. Here's a sample page.

We also have a few books by Laurie Carlson, Marion Broida, and this publisher (though not this specific book, which I'm guessing is a collection of several other titles) :

120 Step-By-Step History Projects

If you could share what specific time period(s) you're studying, maybe someone will have better suggestions.

Aimee -- Nothing to add about Waldorf (unless you have a question about something I posted). But I did find a sample of the LTTN teacher's manual on the Emmanuel Books site. It doesn't look as if there are a lot of hands-on projects, but maybe you can use an activity book as a supplement? So far, I've found it fairly easy to find these types of resources, but good textbooks are much more rare and worth hanging on to. :)

History Links have some interesting ideas, and they're Catholic, but they only go up to the early Middle Ages. Here's a sample page.

We also have a few books by Laurie Carlson, Marion Broida, and this publisher (though not this specific book, which I'm guessing is a collection of several other titles) :

120 Step-By-Step History Projects

If you could share what specific time period(s) you're studying, maybe someone will have better suggestions.

That may be the biggest issue, concerning the LTTN books and her reading level; she would need to use LTTN volume 2 and it's slated for grades 8-10 I believe. Her reading level (dyslexic) is at a solid late fifth/early sixth right now.

I am drawn to the LTTN books. I would love some hands on resources for the time period covered in LTTN2 if I could find them - maybe lapbooks or something? I'm not sure. She's isn't a huge "hands on" type of gal, but it is how she retains best.

I wish Dorothy Mills' books and guides were completed through Memoria Press. Lol.

I'll be honest - she isn't really enjoying STSS (from CSTP) this year; I'm hoping LTTN would go over better...

From the samples, LTTN seems much more suited to high school -- not just in reading level, but in subject matter. I was a fairly serious student in junior high, but all those ideologies and so forth are heavy.

Would it be possible for you just to do a year of modern US history (which includes some world history in context)? There are a ton more resources for this approach, including Catholic textbooks at a variety of reading levels.

There's also Seton's Our Catholic Legacy, Volume 2. This is brand new, and I haven't seen it myself except for the samples, but we have the first volume, and it seems interesting and much less intense than LTTN. The second volume is listed for 7th grade. I think I might get it just to have on hand, as my 7 and 9 year olds have been asking questions about events and people of the 20th century, and I tend to go overboard and talk until their eyes glaze over. ;) It does take a bit of a knack to explain these things to the younger crowd -- and I'd include 11 year olds in that category.

ETA that there's a chance that I wouldn't agree with Seton's perspective on certain political issues, but at $18 for the book, I wouldn't have any qualms about about taking a pen to any parts that didn't mesh with our family's beliefs. :patriot:

From the samples, LTTN seems much more suited to high school -- not just in reading level, but in subject matter. I was a fairly serious student in junior high, but all those ideologies and so forth are heavy.

Would it be possible for you just to do a year of modern US history (which includes some world history in context)? There are a ton more resources for this approach, including Catholic textbooks at a variety of reading levels.

There's also Seton's Our Catholic Legacy, Volume 2. This is brand new, and I haven't seen it myself except for the samples, but we have the first volume, and it seems interesting and much less intense than LTTN. The second volume is listed for 7th grade. I think I might get it just to have on hand, as my 7 and 9 year olds have been asking questions about events and people of the 20th century, and I tend to go overboard and talk until their eyes glaze over. ;) It does take a bit of a knack to explain these things to the younger crowd -- and I'd include 11 year olds in that category.

ETA that there's a chance that I wouldn't agree with Seton's perspective on certain political issues, but at $18 for the book, I wouldn't have any qualms about about taking a pen to any parts that didn't mesh with our family's beliefs. :patriot:

I think she's had it up to her eyeballs with American after this year and she is planning on a local Catholic prep for high school, so we want to make sure she does world history before that point (and frankly, I'm sick to death of american history myself, lol).

We tried Seton's first volume. It wasn't bad, but (not only did I not agree with the approach they sometimes take) it seemed like nothing more than a workbook - after each chapter there were a few questions, then it moved on. I think it assumes an ability to retain that my daughter just may not have, lol.

I so wish the reading levels on the CSTP books were a *bit* more accurate. I was just looking over the LTTN 1 book and even that seems a higher reading level than the suggested 7th grade.

I need something interesting - something that isn't merely read, answer questions, and move on. She not only isn't retaining using that method, she hates history with a passion right now. I don't expect it to be her favorite, but I'd prefer not to send her to a very good high school *hating* ANY subject, kwim?

A lovely, lovely book on world history is E.H. Gombrich's A Little History of the World. This a real living book, written for intelligent children by a gentle, wise author. I read it aloud to my history loathing 7 th grader last year. It isn't Catholic but if you interweave saints stories, you could create a very satisfactory foundation for a Catholic prep school. I highly, highly recommend it. We read it slowly. My son was going through a fixation on Wikipedia last year, so after we read a chapter, we often did some informal research on line.

A lovely, lovely book on world history is E.H. Gombrich's A Little History of the World. This a real living book, written for intelligent children by a gentle, wise author. I read it aloud to my history loathing 7 th grader last year. It isn't Catholic but if you interweave saints stories, you could create a very satisfactory foundation for a Catholic prep school. I highly, highly recommend it. We read it slowly. My son was going through a fixation on Wikipedia last year, so after we read a chapter, we often did some informal research on line.

For something like this, what kind of output would you recommend for a child who can't yet outline?

I think she's had it up to her eyeballs with American after this year and she is planning on a local Catholic prep for high school, so we want to make sure she does world history before that point (and frankly, I'm sick to death of american history myself, lol).

I understand not wanting to repeat American history, but is there a specific reason why you want to do modern world history before high school? I know it's part of the WTM history cycle, but I'm pretty sure the students who are coming from public or Catholic school won't have studied it yet. (One clue to this is the almost complete lack of existing materials aimed at the younger age group.) Not trying to be contrary here :) -- just wondering if all this time and effort might be better spent on something else. Maybe world cultures, with a timeline of important events and figures as a side project?

We tried Seton's first volume. It wasn't bad, but (not only did I not agree with the approach they sometimes take) it seemed like nothing more than a workbook - after each chapter there were a few questions, then it moved on. I think it assumes an ability to retain that my daughter just may not have, lol. (...) ]I need something interesting - something that isn't merely read, answer questions, and move on.

This is where the supplemental activities and other teaching methods come in. Timelines, map work, and copywork are the bare essentials IMO. Other possibilities include field trips, looking at primary sources, literature, crossword puzzles (there are free doo-dads online for this), concentration games, pantomime games, etc.

I'm a bit confused about the appeal of Oak Meadow, actually, because I just looked at their 7th grade world history samples, and they don't have much in the way of activities either. It's basically just a text chapter and a list of questions and research topics, similar to those in the LTTN teacher's manual.

If you want something that isn't reading- and writing-heavy, I think you're going to have to either choose a text and come up with your own activities, or pick a different area of history (or geography?) that has the sort of resources you're looking for. There seems to be plenty of published material at the late elementary level on just about every other topic. :)

I understand not wanting to repeat American history, but is there a specific reason why you want to do modern world history before high school? I know it's part of the WTM history cycle, but I'm pretty sure the students who are coming from public or Catholic school won't have studied it yet. (One clue to this is the almost complete lack of existing materials aimed at the younger age group.) Not trying to be contrary here :) -- just wondering if all this time and effort might be better spent on something else. Maybe world cultures, with a timeline of important events and figures as a side project? The local Catholic schools here (that feed into the Catholic prep school) study ancients - middle ages in grade 6 and then ren - modern in grade 7; another round of american history/civics in grade 8. She's covered ancient history (last year in fifth). Maybe I'll start over with ancients next year, using LTTN 1, then hit LTTN the year after in grade 8, since I've covered american and civics this year in sixth.

This is where the supplemental activities and other teaching methods come in. Timelines, map work, and copywork are the bare essentials IMO. Other possibilities include field trips, looking at primary sources, literature, crossword puzzles (there are free doo-dads online for this), concentration games, pantomime games, etc.

I guess I was looking for open and go next year with the littles in the house, lol - I know, I know... I'm lazy :p

I'm a bit confused about the appeal of Oak Meadow, actually, because I just looked at their 7th grade world history samples, and they don't have much in the way of activities either. It's basically just a text chapter and a list of questions and research topics, similar to those in the LTTN teacher's manual.

LTTN actually looks very appealing - I'm just concerned about the reading level. After our conversation I went and looked for reviews and they seem to echo ours... that the reading level seem more high school level than junior high. I still think I might give it a go. Maybe even buy it in the next week to preview it and see if I can make it work?

If you want something that isn't reading- and writing-heavy, I think you're going to have to either choose a text and come up with your own activities, or pick a different area of history (or geography?) that has the sort of resources you're looking for. There seems to be plenty of published material at the late elementary level on just about every other topic. :)

I think there are mixed opinions about Gombrich's book. We found it somewhat patronizing and occasionally incorrect in its descriptions of Catholicism and other religions, and ended up getting rid of it.

I much prefer Hillyer, but wouldn't use it as a core text unless there wasn't even a halfway-decent Catholic text available. With non-Catholic history books, even when there's nothing overtly objectionable in the author's description of events, there are still going to be deficiencies and errors of omission. This goes especially for modern history, where issues of faith and faithlessness, morality, and social justice are front and center, and there are many topics that hit close to home and can be troubling for children to deal with. My feeling is that they really need to be introduced to these issues with the supports that our faith provides.

Speaking of omissions, the American Background Books (similar to Landmark books) are excellent for learning more about Catholics who played important roles in history, even if they aren't canonized saints. There are similar vintage series from Benziger and Bruce Publishing, though I can't remember their names. These books are all a bit hard to find, but worth looking for if you'd like to go deeper on a particular topic. Most are for US history, but some are for world history. But I guess this won't help Aimee, unless she can somehow infuse a taste for "living books" in her daughter. :D

I think there are mixed opinions about Gombrich's book. We found it somewhat patronizing and occasionally incorrect in its descriptions of Catholicism and other religions, and ended up getting rid of it.

I much prefer Hillyer, but wouldn't use it as a core text unless there wasn't even a halfway-decent Catholic text available. With non-Catholic history books, even when there's nothing overtly objectionable in the author's description of events, there are still going to be deficiencies and errors of omission. This goes especially for modern history, where issues of faith and faithlessness, morality, and social justice are front and center, and there are many topics that hit close to home and can be troubling for children to deal with. My feeling is that they really need to be introduced to these issues with the supports that our faith provides.

Speaking of omissions, the American Background Books (similar to Landmark books) are excellent for learning more about Catholics who played important roles in history, even if they aren't canonized saints. There are similar vintage series from Benziger and Bruce Publishing, though I can't remember their names. These books are all a bit hard to find, but worth looking for if you'd like to go deeper on a particular topic. Most are for US history, but some are for world history. But I guess this won't help Aimee, unless she can somehow infuse a taste for "living books" in her daughter. :D

I would settle for infusing a taste for ANY books in my daughter at this point, lol!

FWIW, I personally like Hillside's 26 Letters to Heaven more than Catholic Icing's preschool program.

I hadn't heard of that. Off to google. I'm looking for a religion/saints supplement for Nico next year, even though he knows his letters. Would this be a good option?

I hadn't heard of that. Off to google. I'm looking for a religion/saints supplement for Nico next year, even though he knows his letters. Would this be a good option?

I haven't used the ones from Catholic Icing or Hillside, but have attempted other preschool curricula (Little Saints, Little Hands to Heaven, Seton) with four small children so far, with fairly pathetic results, LOL.

Going by the sample pages, the Hillside one seems to have a lot of fun suggestions for crafts, etc. It doesn't look "open and go" in the sense of having a daily schedule, though. There are numerous options to choose from each week. So it depends what you're looking for by way of structure.

It also doesn't have a great deal of Christian content, and what it does have, I'm not so sure about. The sample chapter has a couple of recommendations for picture books about saints, but they're both written from a non-Catholic perspective, so we'd probably substitute others with a stronger spiritual message. There are also the "virtue verses," but they seem better suited to older children IMO, so I'm thinking we'd leave them out if we were just using it with little ones. (I tend to think that very young children are looking for living examples of virtue, rather than abstract terms like "benevolence," even if they do happen to start with the letter of the week.)

Most of the other activities have to do with everyday things that start with the alphabet letter: bears, bubbles, blackberries, baking. Which is fine for a general preschool curriculum, but maybe not ideal if you're looking for a religion supplement. For us, the crafts and activity suggestions are interesting enough that I might consider buying it if we didn't already have several others on the shelf.

The little poem about the bee left me a bit :confused1: and :sad: , though.

"B, b, a bumblebee

Buzzing by so busily.

Not a broad or boisterous fellow

He brings fright in black and yellow."

Why does the last line have to be so negative? Children are very impressionable at this age, and like tiny Franciscans, they're open to seeing the wonder of these little creatures who obey God by doing their own work. Why not say that the bee brings pollen for the flowers, or honey for our bread, or wax for the candles in church? Bees even have a place in the liturgy. It's always been common for monasteries to keep their own hives, and St. Benedict is the patron of beekeepers. That would have tied the lesson together a bit better. ;)

I guess this is why my results with packaged preschool curricula haven't been great. I prefer the ones that keep it very simple, provide a basic schedule and list of resources, and let the parents flesh it out themselves. Because once you get past the core things such as the ABC, 123, Sign of the Cross, and Hail Mary, the things other people feel drawn to teach their 3-year-olds might not be the same things we feel drawn to teach our own.

Probably not what you are looking for. The saints aspect is a small part of the materials. The materials are varied preschool activities with a side of religion. I liked that the activities generally required things found around the house and didn't require much prep. The activities were things that I should be doing with my preschooler if he/she didn't get overlooked much of the time. I also liked the preschool book list and the additional saints book list. When I paged through it, a lot of the suggested saint books were the same ones suggested in Catholic Mosaic, and we have enjoyed all the books we've read from Catholic Mosaic.

I owned Catholic Icing at the beginning of this year, and it was too much for me. I'm not looking for projects and crafts for my preschooler. I'm looking for easy activities, reminders to read aloud, and a sprinkling of religion. My preschooler already tags along with my bigger kids.

If you were going to use only one resource for religion for the entire year, 26 Letters wouldn't be it. If you were looking for easy prep/easy to implement preschool activities that included saint suggestions and saint read alouds, this is it.

I'm looking for suggestions of other logic-stage apologetics books to go along with Amy Welborn's Prove It! series for a know-it-all 10 y.o. who is questioning the existence of God and the truth of Scripture. Thanks!

Im interested in this as well. I really like Welborn's materials.

I'm looking for suggestions of other logic-stage apologetics books to go along with Amy Welborn's Prove It! series for a know-it-all 10 y.o. who is questioning the existence of God and the truth of Scripture. Thanks!

Just wanted to say that I'm listening in - I have the 11 year old version of your 10 year old :p

I have the Prove it books, or at least a couple of them. The subject matter is aimed at high schoolers some of the topics I would consider too old for a 10 year old, imho. They try very hard to write in a 'cool' way which my own kids found a little condescending. But then they are not public school kids so the tone was really foreign to them.

I would read St. Patrick's Catechism and discuss it with her. Also Caryll Houselander's Catholic Tales for Girls and Boys are very deep and thought provoking. I have read those books aloud to my kids and it really led to deep conversations about the faith.

On a side note, since I was looking at Kreeft's author page on Amazon, has anyone used his logic text? This review piqued my interest:

Decades may pass before this book is recognized for what it is: the most straightforward, honest, and philosophically illuminating logic text in print. It is hard to fathom how rare and useful it is for a man as well-read as Kreeft, and as orthodox, to sift through most historical and modern logic texts for us, and to present all the classic features of logic, and the salient departures from the classic approach to logic. Moreover he does this in one highly accessible, lively, readable volume. This book is even clear (and fun) enough to avoid intimidating an interested middle or high school student. It takes a uniquely dedicated and selfless teacher to 'condescend' as charitably as Kreeft does here- this book is bursting with palpable, intellectual energy on even simple topics, and overflowing with helpful examples on more difficult ones.

This book ought to be also a standard, near-required text for Catholic and Christian colleges. It may be some time before that happens, but it will happen, because it needs to.

Wow, I just read A Little History of the World last year and don't recall anything in it that was off base. Maybe I have a bad memory? Can you recall any statement in particular??? But to tell you the truth, if I do stumble upon something that might not tell the whole story or need clarification, we just discuss it. But I don't remember anything like that in Gombrich. In fact the book is often on lists of favorite books of all time. We loved his prose. We found Hillyer irritating! So I guess, to each his own.

There is no perfect book!

I have Kreeft's Logic book! LOL. I collect a lot of books. . . . anyway, I have had it for a number of years and it has been intimidating me for that long. But it looks really good and if I had my act together I would use it in junior or senior year of high school.