Menu

Not starting history until 5th?

Elfknitter.#

Because I think almost all of the world history resources for K-3 are not written at an appropriate reading level. There are plenty of good geography and some American history resources that I like at that level, but world history is slim pickings.

I generally teach cursive-first and require very little writing from students until they can correctly copy and compose cursive sentences. I'm so busy with phonics and handwriting that time is limited, and I don't want to spend it on anything that requires writing above the student's ability to write neatly.

Over time I've come to place more importance on geography, American History, and the history of a student's religion, than I do on world history.

In our case, ds thinks the past is irrelevant :o. Speaks about immaturity, definitely. Dh and i try to change his view, but he can get dug into a position :o. It usually goes down easier when he comes round to the idea. In the meanwhile, I've provided lots of SOTW audio and Horrible Histories which he will read because they're funny, and we try to discuss it in a factual manner when it does come up. Eventually!

my kids and i generally hated history and loved science. i could see covering history only tangentially and focusing more on science. i didnt do any formal history our first year of homeschooling - the teen was doing civics and for the younger one, i got a picture book about some sort of history or social studies topic out of the library every few weeks, and read it to him - he HATED them all, no matter how well written or highly recommended. The first year we did cover history, i ran from the big bang through the renaissance in 1 year.

i'm now on year two of US history and i'm enjoying it - but i still resent how much time it takes up. History will not impact my kids future in any really significant way .. its just nice to know. Math, english - they need more work in these areas and this is what we focus on. and science is just SO much more interesting than history!

I can't imagine doing *no history* for the first 10 years of a child's life. :blink: In fact, I can't imagine living a life so isolated that "history" never, ever comes up.

Well, I don't think it's necessarily "no history," but maybe more like no *formal* history program.

Well, I don't think it's necessarily "no history," but maybe more like no *formal* history program.

Exactly. There doesn't necessarily need to be *formal* history; there just doesn't need to be *no* history. Field trips and good historical fiction (or actual history) if the dc are interested or you visit something interesting on a field trip, and living history days, and all that stuff...all those sorts of informal things are very valuable, IMHO.

For my kids, history in the early grades was a complete waste of time. They were exposed to lots of historical things as a matter of course, but formal history was a waste for them. They needed that time to mature and understand the basics of education. Some kids love it and get quite a bit out of it, for us it was just a waste. Once my son hit the logic stage, he was able to understand and interact with the historical narrative. He missed absolutely nothing by skipping it the first time around.