Menu

Patty Paper Geometry S&S: Pre-Geometry? (x-post)

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has used Patty Paper Geometry? I am considering it for a Pre-Geometry in planning ahead.

ds11 has strong math skills, loves origami and is always asking about geometry. He is finishing up TabletClass Pre-A which is pretty demanding. I plan to have him start algebra soon and then introduce a pre-Geometry at some point. I also plan on having him do an extended Algebra 1 program with TabletClass and AoPS or another supplemental like Foerster.

I am just wondering if anyone has used PPG *before* finishing Algebra 1 or as a Pre-Geometry? From what I've read it doesn't seem like a complete geometry course. Is its S&S not really considered complete?

Thanks,

I have similar plan. Ds is just starting patty paper geometry and we are 2 chapter shy of finishing algebra 1. We gonna spend the rest of school year review algebra and sprinkle some patty paper. We will do algebra 2 next school year with " pre" geometry with patty paper and depends on how things go, I might also use TT as pre geometry just give him a taste of proof. I hope at the end of next school year, he will be ready for AOPS geometry. DS is also young so I have plenty of time to play around with different programs.

I answered on the logic board. Basically dd hated Patty Paper Geometry :lol:

Well, it sounds like its not for every kid like many things. However for our ds11 who loves folding paper I think he will really relate to it. Its not just about doing the math, but rather its application to many forms which interest him.

Please tell me about Patty Paper Geometry

If you click on the tag at the top of the above thread, you will find other PPG threads.

We used PPG after completing Algebra 1. With 20/20 hindsight, I would have used it along with a Pre-Algebra course. It was a big hit during 8th grade.

FWIW, we used Discovering Geometry by Michael Serra (same author) in 9th grade after a failed attempt at Jacob's. You may read my review in this thread.

I think PPG would be perfectly timed to do with Pre-Alg or anytime after basic arithmetic (say 6th gr) math is complete. It requires no equations or algebra. It really uses very little arithmetic, either.

I love it.

It can definitely be used later, but there is no reason not to do it during PreA.

Ds really likes PPG. He's doing Algebra, and I can see why it definitely can be done at the pre-alg level. I agree with StephanieZ - yup, very little arithmetic even. What it does need is the ability to read through instructions carefully and to verbalize the mathematical thinking. The knowledge base is incremental, say if Guided investigation 3.1-3.4 is not understood well, the child will have difficulty with Guided Investigation 3.4. It's great in that the child will have to go backwards to re-do. Ds has done this a few times, and he's rewarded because, the total result is something beautiful (say the Euler line).

DS loves folding planes too. PPG's folding is a lot more simple but the ideas are striking.