Menu

To Accelerate or not?

UrbanSue

There is probably a great thread (or five) on this but I wasn't searching for it the right way, I guess.

My kids are bright, but probably not gifted. My older is quirky and hates school though he is very good at everything. He uses his free time very, very well so I keep his formal work to a minimum doing really just the basics of a classical education. He is in third grade and I think I'm laying the ground work to ramp up later.

My dd6 is the complete opposite. She lives for school and mostly can't get enough of it but she particularly loves math. I think it appeals to her very concrete box-checking personality. We're doing Singapore and she would prefer to do 3-5 lessons a day, most days. It typically takes her only a couple of minutes to grasp a concept with manipulatives, then we do every problem together in the TB and then she does the WB (she loves workbooks). I have, until now, felt like she should not go too fast just because she can and given her more work via the IP and the CWP to slow her down and we also do LOF. With that approach she's only about five weeks ahead of the outline in the HIG. But we school year-round and typically fit in more than 36 weeks and we do math 6 days a week, ideally. I don't want her to hit a wall down the road because I let her go too fast as a younger student. I worry that would be insanely frustrating after math being so easy for awhile--I'm afraid her skills will outpace her maturity at some point, I guess. But I'm also worried about her being bored.

I know there is a division here between those who think that a kid who wants to work more should be given more challenge at the same level and those who think that, given a fairly rigorous program such as SM, a child should be allowed to work as quickly as they are able. But I'd like to hear fleshed out arguments on both sides. Feel free to direct me to previous threads. Thanks!

I tried to hold my DD back and enrich, and then, at age 7, she decided she was ready to move on-and showed me she was ready. As it turned out, while I was trying to hold her back, she was still moving ahead. Now that she's at her level, she's a happier kid, and is finally moving at a pace that isn't scary for me (although the level is a bit overwhelming).

I know there is a division here between those who think that a kid who wants to work more should be given more challenge at the same level and those who think that, given a fairly rigorous program such as SM, a child should be allowed to work as quickly as they are able. But I'd like to hear fleshed out arguments on both sides. Feel free to direct me to previous threads. Thanks!

I'm not sure which one I am because we are always changing things around over here! :tongue_smilie: I don't always feel it's black and white though. Looking back at what we've done, I mixed it up so that we went both deeper and were accelerating. But that's because math has become the subject my DS lives for and we are always working on several resources at the same time AND he does more math for fun in his somewhat ample leisure time. I free up a lot of time for math which makes this possible.

One great way to go deep at your DD's age is to use living math style learning i.e. math literature, games, tying in history/ science and math. My son found this much more fascinating than curriculum at that age. Then we had some curriculum running in the background just to try to avoid gaps (on hindsight, I shouldn't have needed to be so worried about gaps at that young age). We integrated a lot of whiteboard use and co-teaching (I teach him, he teaches me back) so that math was also a discussion, a two-way process, perhaps something you are already doing?

You might find, as dmmetler says, that the mathy kiddos eventually hit a point where they are just so ready to move on. By that time, it's so much easier to decide whether or not to accelerate.

I'm not sure which one I am because we are always changing things around over here! :tongue_smilie: I don't always feel it's black and white though. Looking back at what we've done, I mixed it up so that we went both deeper and accelerating. But that's only because math has become the subject my DS lives for and we are always working on several resources at the same time AND he does more math for fun in his somewhat ample leisure time. I free up a lot of time for math which makes this possible.

One great way to go deep at your DD's age is to use living math style learning i.e. math literature, games, tying in history/ science and math. My son found this much more fascinating than curriculum at that age. Then we had some curriculum running in the background just to try to avoid gaps (on hindsight, I shouldn't have needed to be so worried about gaps at that young age). We integrated a lot of whiteboard use and co-teaching (I teach him, he teaches me back) so that math was also a discussion, a two-way process, perhaps something you are already doing?

You might find, as dmmetler says, that the mathy kiddos eventually hit a point where they are just so ready to move on. By that time, it's so much easier to decide whether or not to accelerate.

So, to sum up your advice: make sure the math environment is very rich and don't fret about speed at this point. Is that right?

I let dd accelerate until she gets stuck, then we go sideways for awhile. For example, she got stuck in Singapore 4A because she didn't have her multiplication facts memorized. I used the Beast Academy sections on multiplication, perimeter and area, and perfect squares to give her enough fun practice to make the facts stick. Then she was ready to go back to Singapore.

I let dd accelerate until she gets stuck, then we go sideways for awhile. For example, she got stuck in Singapore 4A because she didn't have her multiplication facts memorized. I used the Beast Academy sections on multiplication, perimeter and area, and perfect squares to give her enough fun practice to make the facts stick. Then she was ready to go back to Singapore.

I believe strongly in going "deeper" rather than faster. Yeah, with an easy program like TT or MUS, my kids could finish arithmetic faster and start algebra earlier. But I don't think that would be doing them any favors in the long run. I would much rather go more slowly though a rigorous program to build a really solid foundation while trying to keep it challenging by using things like Singapore IP, Beast Academy, etc. It's not a race to see whose kid can get to algebra first, KWIM?

My DS could probably zip through MUS or TT now and be in algebra in a year, but I'm less interested in bragging rights than I am in making sure he has a rock-solid conceptual understanding.

I just let the kids go at their pace. I give them a sufficiently challenging program, but if they're understanding the concept well, no need to beat a dead horse. There is only so much you can do to go wider in elementary math. There are tons of things you can do after algebra though. I also found that when I've intentionally tried to slow my kid down (by doing multiple programs or adding supplements), it didn't do anything to actually slow him down, and it just made things more complicated for me. So I'm all about simple now. I have my oldest do Singapore TB/WB/CWP (and we're only a couple topics behind in CWP right now, so it's pretty challenging). I stopped using IP because it was more practice than he needed, and I liked the WB for the independence factor - easy problems get the concept into his brain, then CWP problems challenge his knowledge of that concept. This has worked well here. We'll do some sort of Prealgebra next year, and take as long as we need. When he's ready for Algebra, we'll start that. I may do an easier Algebra followed by a harder Algebra. We'll see.

Let your DD move forward. If you hit a wall, go sidewise at that point. Don't borrow trouble. I have yet to hit a wall with my son - most of the usual boogey men of math have been easy for him. Maybe we'll hit a wall at some point, but I don't know. His dad did Algebra in public school in 6th grade with no problems, so I don't expect him to need to have hair under his arms to do Algebra. :p When I told DH that I thought DS would probably be doing Algebra in 5th grade, my DH was not surprised at all. In fact, he expected that. And even if we do Algebra in 5th, I still plan to hit Calculus in 11th or 12th. AoPS will be my friend, padding the sequence.

If we do Calc in 11th, I'll send him to the local university for Calc 3 and Differential Equations in 12th... it would be dual enrollment with a university that is an engineering school.

Another thing... I found that we slowed down a lot once we got to 4th grade math and higher. We completed 3 grades and part of a 4th in one calendar year, but the other grades have been less than a school year but not THAT much less. So just because your DD is zooming through lower grades of math, it doesn't mean that she'll keep up that pace and be running out of math to do by 3rd grade. ;) My K'er is in Singapore 1B and finding it easy. I won't be surprised if he needs to start 3A at some point next year in 1st grade. That's ok. He'll likely slow down at some point (I'm actually not going very fast with him now, but many days we do 2 or even 3 lessons because he does understand the material... we're just practicing for a bit more automaticity right now, though I'm happy with where he is, fact knowledge and mental math wise for a young 6 year old).

In short... Relax. Let her go. She'll be fine. :)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! She's so intense and so very opposite of my older kid that I really feel like I'm starting homeschooling from scratch again with her. I thought dh was of the "don't go too fast" mindset but we talked last night and he pointed out that we're doing plenty of challenging math and I should just let her go with it as long as she's having fun. Dh is more naturally mathy than I am (and more rational) so that was encouraging.

I believe strongly in going "deeper" rather than faster. Yeah, with an easy program like TT or MUS, my kids could finish arithmetic faster and start algebra earlier. But I don't think that would be doing them any favors in the long run. I would much rather go more slowly though a rigorous program to build a really solid foundation while trying to keep it challenging by using things like Singapore IP, Beast Academy, etc. It's not a race to see whose kid can get to algebra first, KWIM?

My DS could probably zip through MUS or TT now and be in algebra in a year, but I'm less interested in bragging rights than I am in making sure he has a rock-solid conceptual understanding.

Thanks for this. I see what you mean. We are using the entire Singapore program with her already so we're good there. Ds just started BA. He's not accelerated with math at all--he just loves the approach. Dd is practically jumping out of her skin wanting to get there. So I think what I'm offering is plenty challenging.

My younger DD is like that. Very intense and demanding. She is also the math lover. The thing is you can not stop her or slow her down. She will push you. In DD's case, if you don't give her a worksheet, she goes find a blank piece of paper and she makes her own problem. That getting a bit scary because she is asking me to show her how to do multi-digit multiplication many times now. She just turned 5 and she does not have all her time table memorized yet. So, you might as well give her what you think is appropiate for her and do not worry about the speed. You are doing SM, it is not a easy peesy program. With adding IP and CWP, if she still speedy through, let her

We followed the pace of our child. I did throw in math games days every so often. When I was worried he was getting too ahead too fast, we did "fun fridays." We did enrichment and games for math on those days. He still was moving ahead in thought and skills - but not in his specific math book on those days. We've run into a couple bumps along the way, due to maturity. When those happen, we do more fun fridays - extending to other days as well. Our first big bump happened around this time of year in first grade. He was learning multi-digit multiplication problems and just didn't have the focus to make it through an entire problem - so numbers were put in the wrong spots due to concentration. I slowed down in the book and supplementing more with critical thinking skills to give his maturity time to catch up. Then, we went back into the book and moved on.

MUS actually did provide a great foundation for my oldest - until he got to Alg I then it was obvious it was lacking. He did quite well in AoPS Intro to Algebra and finished the first half of the book so far. (We're taking a break and doing Number Theory before the second part). I do agree that gifted kids do reach a point where they need more depth, not just faster. Something like BA would have had way too many distractions for ODS, but it could be the answer for other gifted kids. AoPS is awesome for my oldest, but I also understand how it might not be the answer for another gifted child. Gifted kids don't all have the same learning style. But one thing is clear - it's best to follow your child's lead, wherever that may take you!

*Agree about AoPS helping to not run out of maths. There a lot more courses other than the standard sequence with AoPS - but there's even more options if you do the on-line courses with AoPS. Then of course, colleges can help out at the end. I'd rather not have my child sitting in a college classroom at a young age, so AoPS will likely be our answer when under 16 years old.

My philosophy was to use a rigorous program (SM qualifies), add in some enrichment (in our case it was primarily CWP), and then let the kid move at his own pace. Using this method, my son ended up being three years ahead in math and is now well placed in Algebra I at a b&m school as a 10/11yo.

What I am against is accelerating through a not-so-rigorous program. I think if a kid is going to be accelerated (in any subject), he should be accelerated into the most rigorous version of that subject, not the easiest, *and* he should be able to do A-level work in the course. So, in a b&m school placement, the kid should be placed in the above level *honors* course and be capable of and actually getting an A in the course.

I think I just totally rambled...

My philosophy was to use a rigorous program (SM qualifies), add in some enrichment (in our case it was primarily CWP), and then let the kid move at his own pace. Using this method, my son ended up being three years ahead in math and is now well placed in Algebra I at a b&m school as a 10/11yo.

What I am against is accelerating through a not-so-rigorous program. I think if a kid is going to be accelerated (in any subject), he should be accelerated into the most rigorous version of that subject, not the easiest *and* he should be able to do A-level work in the course. So, in a b&m school placement, the kid should be placed in the above level *honors* course and be capable of and actually getting an A in the course.

I think I just totally rambled...

No that makes perfect sense and, actually, was an exact synthesis of all the advice given on this thread so far :).