Menu

Ideas for independent work for short time periods?

With my girls two years apart in grade levels, we can sometimes work on subjects together, but sometimes they are doing separate work. When they're doing separate work, I usually have something for the other child to be working on - reading pages or homework problems. But sometimes I don't have anything they need to work on right then, or they finish up quickly. They then get bored waiting for me to move on to their next subject. (They do not do their assignments very independently yet, as one just returned to homeschooling a month ago and the other just started homeschooling a month ago, so I can't just tell them to work on another subject.)

I'd like to come up with a list of things they can choose to do during that time. So far, my ideas are:

* Watch a BrainPOP video (or 2, or 3...)

* Play an educational game (such as Stack the States, Stack the Countries, SpellTower)

* Building challenge with K'Nex or Keva planks

* Work on a puzzle

* Draw

* Train the dog

* Play an independent brain-teaser type game

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Copywork? (I used to have mine copy their AWANA verses for copywork, trying to hit 2 things at once there.)

Flashcards - I cut 3x5 cards in 1/2 and made a "memory game" using a list of prepositions. I had them divided into groups of 15 or 20 words, and would switch the stacks out once in a while. It was a really easy way for them to memorize prepositions.

10 minutes of exercise.

10 minutes of room clean-up.

• read
  • flashcards
  • copywork
  • worksheet from the "worksheet pile" (I have a file folder of worksheets that we've either skipped or that cover a skill I've introduced in another way)
  • specific chores from chore list
  • practice memory work
  • journal
  • math problem of the day/editing problem of the day
  • write a letter to a grandparent/family member/friend
  • practice an instrument
  • work on a crossword

I've also found it helps to have a specific sign that says "If I'm waiting for mom, today I may..." with a list of up to five concrete activities. I swap these out once a week or so, but the activities are always something I've previously introduced (whether it's a school routine or an around the house routine). This way, the skills they are practicing independently get rotated, they always know where to look for specific (appropriate!) suggestions, and if there is an ongoing school or house project that can be incorporated, it can be front and center that week. (For example, if we are doing a bird count in our neighborhood, I might add "bird count in science journal" to the list or "finish coloring history pocket", etc.)

I just wanted to say thank you for all of the great suggestions - I plan to implement a bunch!

I also decided that in various subject areas, I would collect a list of websites the kids might enjoy visiting and checking out, or YouTube videos they might enjoy watching. So, for example, if they finish up early in science, I might have a list like this that they can choose from:

* Watch a BrainPOP science video.

* Visit Science News for Kids and read any articles that look interesting (www.sciencenewsforkids.org)

* Check out what's new at the NASA website

For younger elementary: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/index.html

For upper elementary/middle school: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/index.html

* Check out the science section of How Stuff Works (www.howstuffworks.com)

* See what's new at Bill Nye the Science Guy's website (www.billnye.com)

- Use Spellquizzer to record spelling words; then the kids can test themselves

- AHA! Science - watch a video

- Watch a David Attenborough science video on youtube

- Complete a CLE lesson in language arts or math (after a brief intro most of it is review)

- read to themselves from a stack of library books (include quite a few short science books)

- use Quizlet to practice Spanish vocab

- 15 minutes of instrument practice

I usually use that time to have them do their chores. ;) So, first thing, dd1(7years old) takes the little dog on a walk, and takes the 2 year old along, in the stroller (strapped in so she can't escape lol). They go around the block which takes about ten minutes. Both dd2(5) and dd1 can take the two year old dd and read to her. Their chore list includes-bathrooms (toilets, spray the tub and shower with a vinegar mix, mirrors, sinks, counters, vacuum and mop the floors), kitchen (unload DW, wipe down counters, DW door, stove door, fridge/freezer door, inside microwave and toaster oven, vacuum and mood the floors), bedrooms (vacuum, dust, make beds, put laundry away, general straightening), dining room (wipe table and chairs, baseboards, walls, sliding glass door, light switches and knobs, vacuum and mop) school room (vacuum and mop, dust bookshelves, clean computer table and monitor, wipe baseboards, light switches, knobs, vacuum couch, wipe couch down with leather cleaner, clean mouse tank), outside (put away all toys, bikes, trikes, ect. sweep porch).

If they are bored, they get assigned a chore. ;) They can read, write, or get ahead on school work they can do on their own-etc, cursive, copywork, some math review.

In the same situation here! The girls have a few independent workbook things - phonics, handwriting, vocabulary. I give those out when I need to work with them individually. I've also done xtramath, book basket, Book of Animals, showers, chores and even playing in the bedroom quietly (for Sylvia, since Rebecca invariably takes longer :glare: ).

-Read from poetry books

-NGA website: http://www.nga.gov/kids/

-Prepare a science project ahead of time for them to complete. Maybe something like a Private Eye worksheet along with a plant or object and a jeweler's loupe: http://the-private-eye.com/index.html

-Simple art project which can be enjoyed over a week (so you don't have to change it out daily). Things like color diffusing paper with water drop bottles filler with watered down food coloring.

-knitting basket (finger knitting is easy)

-origami basket (with book and paper)

-Flashmaster

-Jump rope

I would reorder our schedule. I'm a little obsessive about efficient processes, and I would be very annoyed to have gaps in our schedule. If I only had my two oldest (dreaming here), I would present a lesson and assign work for their one-on-one time with me. That time would be while the other was working or reading independently.