Menu

Suggestions for building vocabulary for a 5th grader

m0mmaBuck

Wordly Wise 3000 grade 5 might be helpful. It's pretty thorough and my kids have used WW for 3 years. They sell it at www.cbd.com

Seconding this one! Great workbook program, free reinforcement activities for every level/lesson here. Plus you can buy the answer keys to WW without the hassle of "proving" that you're a homeschooler (unlike Sadlier-Oxford). (No HS requirements in my state, so I have no way of proving.) WW is often cheaper on Amazon than other sources.

Wordly Wise is pretty good. Also at that age you may be able to start Vocabulary from Classical Roots or use the English From the Roots Up book and cards.

Also I have my 4th grader keep a running list of words he doesn't know in his readings and we look some of them up in the dictionary and discuss. Dictionary skills are important (and not just looking it up on Google---a real dictionary!!--I'm sort of old fashioned). Also we do some vocab work with our spelling words. And when revising/editing any writing familiarize your child with a thesaurus and encourage a few (not too many so the writing won't start to sound stilted) word changes.

Studying homonyms and synonym/antonym and so on helps. Whenever my ds says or writes a word that isn't quite right for that context I ask him why he thought that word was right, and then we talk. Mainly vocab has become a never ending conversation.

My DD loves Vocabulary cartoons!

:iagree: We finished Vocabulary Cartoons this year and we had great retention!! The book was fun, and the words were presented in multiple ways. Dd frequently notices when one of the words pops up on tv or in her reading. Great, great resource!!

English From the Roots Up was helpful in teaching my older children to see the parts and pieces of words. A fifth grader could easily do volume one in a year. (Get the book or the cards; both is redundant.)

My rising fifth grader, my third DC, won't be getting a separate vocabulary this year. The derivative work in his Latin study is more than enough. With my older kids I found learning Latin to be a more effective English vocabulary study than any of the workbooks we'd tried over the years. EFTRU got our feet wet, and we followed it with Latin for Children.