Menu

Does anyone have experience using 5-HTP for depression?

maize

If you have used or know someone who has used 5-HTP to treat chronic depression symptoms, how well did it work? If I am trying to wean off an SSRI would I need to wait until I was completely off it to try adding in 5-HTP? I know the two aren't good in combination, but wondered if once the SSRI was on a very low dose I could start a low dose of 5-HTP.

It increases seritonin like your anti-depressant so you need to be off one to go on the other safely.

It did not help my husband with anything other than sleep. FWIW, SAM-e was a huge help. Maybe it's an individual thing but I thought it worth mentioning an alternative. http://well.blogs.ny...ase-depression/ It looks like you can take it wth an antidepressant (maybe/check on that) and perhaps it is effective for some those who fail an anti-depressant. It brought my husband back to himself and I'm incredibly thankful for that. Inositol may be another alternative to an anti-depressant but would work in similar ways (but without the side effects) as the anti-depressant as would 5-HTP. The SAM-E would work differently.

I took SAM-e for a while, under p-doc supervision. It generally is used as a stand-alone antidepressant. (I read the link with interest.) After I reached what studies state as the therapeutic dose, I got so sick that I had to be tested for stomach ulcers. (so that was the end of that med.) Use with care, and under supervision. It just might work for you.

Yes, wait until you are "clean" of the SSRI. You are going from one anti-depressant to another.

5-HTP did not work for me . . . but neither did anything else, "Big Pharm" or alternative med.

Best wishes!

I used it before I tried any other medications, it helped me sleep better but that's about it.

Sigh, there just aren't any magic bullets out there are there?

It increases seritonin like your anti-depressant so you need to be off one to go on the other safely.

It did not help my husband with anything other than sleep. FWIW, SAM-e was a huge help. Maybe it's an individual thing but I thought it worth mentioning an alternative. http://well.blogs.ny...ase-depression/ It looks like you can take it wth an antidepressant (maybe/check on that) and perhaps it is effective for some those who fail an anti-depressant. It brought my husband back to himself and I'm incredibly thankful for that. Inositol may be another alternative to an anti-depressant but would work in similar ways (but without the side effects) as the anti-depressant as would 5-HTP. The SAM-E would work differently.

I took SAM-e for a while, under p-doc supervision. It generally is used as a stand-alone antidepressant. (I read the link with interest.) After I reached what studies state as the therapeutic dose, I got so sick that I had to be tested for stomach ulcers. (so that was the end of that med.) Use with care, and under supervision. It just might work for you.

I will look into SAM-e, I am not familiar with this supplement. It would be great if I could find something that could be taken alongside an SSRI while tapering off. The SSRI is effective, but side effects have become problematic.

Thank you all for sharing experiences and information.

I don't think it would be a good idea to be doing this yourself. are there any naturopaths in your area who deal with depression?

the advantage of a ND is there could be more going on that a simple insufficieny of serotonin or dopamine, but deficiencies in other things that *lead* to the insufficiency.

No, maybe I should look into those. It would be nice to be able to leave drugs behind entirely, but maybe not practicable.

I was fortunate to be working with a psychiatrist who respected my interest in alternative medicine, so we tried a variety of things, both "big pharm" and "alternative." It is potentially quite dangerous to manage mental health conditions by oneself.

Eventually, I did "leave drugs behind entirely", but only because nothing worked well enough, or long enough.

Again, sincere best wishes to you for feeling better!