Menu

How old was your child...

27 members have voted

1. 1. AGE when starting Logic Stage work?

• older than 12
    • younger than 9
  2. 2. Factor that most influenced your decision

• School grade level
    • Completing grammar stage pre-requisites
    • Developmental readiness (asking the "why" questions, etc.)
    • Other (but PLEASE elaborate! Don't leave me hanging!)
  3. 3. Was your child working at "grade-level" in reading/writing?

• Yes
    • Yes, in reading but not writing
    • Yes, in writing but not reading
    • No, my DC was working a little below grade level in both areas
    • No, my DC was working significantly below grade level in both areas

I answered for my oldest who was an 11yo 5th grader when we started homeschooling. He had been more than ready to jump from what he had been doing in school to logic level thinking for several years. However, his writing ability was not inline with his cognitive ability. He is mildly dyslexic and a little ADD: his written output was not at the same level as his oral output. We had fabulous conversations, but i never knew where his questioning would take us or how much written work wpuld actually be accomplished. His math skills were also lagging.

My second was very neurologically typical in that he met appropriate cognitive milestones at normal ages and rolled into logic stage thinking as he rolled into fifth grade. He turned 11yo that fall. He was slightly ahead of grade level in math. Every typical boy story probably applies and this made for an easy-to-predict student. He did need to know why he was learning something and where something was headed.

My third ds is only interested in math where he is significantly ahead. His writing is fine, but he hates to write and lacks confidence. He reads just fine. If you ask, he has no problem drawing conclusions or connecting the dots. However, he doesn't ask questions. He just wants to know what he needs to do to be finished. Outside of schoolwork, he can argue with a fence post and doesn't hesitate to barter or sales pitch with anyone. He is generally exhausting. Does that make him logic stage?

Mandy

I put 10, although we did start WWS, which is *definitely* Logic Stage, when she was 9, as well as discussion-based language arts (MCT) and history, and having discussions about books. She's ahead of grade level in reading and writing, so we started doing that stuff in a more logic-stagey manner in the spring of 4th grade when she was 9. But as far as the more complete transition into the logic stage, emotionally as well as intellectually, I'm going with 10 years old/ 5th grade.

It was definitely driven by developmental readiness, not by age or grade.

It's a process, not an abrupt transition. It starts first with the student's strongest subjects, I think, and it takes time to fully arrive.

I voted a bit tentatively, since ds is *just* beginning Logic stage work. He is doing grade four work in most areas, slightly behind in writing, since he is still a bit pencil phobic, but I believe the skills are there. Next year will be our first real dip into the pool, but we are wetting our toes a little right now.

I think he is beginning to be ready for Logic stage work because he is beginning to show signs of being bored by the work we are doing, and he is *not* asking "Why?" but *telling* me why in a slightly annoying I-Know-Everything kind of way. Seems to me he is getting to the point where he should start to acquire the skills he needs in order to put his money where his mouth is. (Said in all love, and indulgent parental amusement.)

Skill wise I put him at or above grade level in reading, but slightly below in writing.

There is really no easy answer because we didn't start all Logic Stage work at the same time. We eased into things slowly in some areas and quickly in others. I do have to say that for my older son he was much further ahead in his questioning and thinking than he was with his reading and writing abilities. That meant that we had a lot of discussions, but his output took a long time to develop.

There's something really appealing about dividing academic development into stages, but it is kind of arbitrary where that division is. I mean, the WTM model sets it at 4 yr grade intervals 1-4, 5-8, 9-12. Public schools around here do k-5, 6-8, 9-12. Montessori educators go with three year intervals at 1st-3rd, 4th-6th, 7th-9th, 10-12th. And Steiner (Waldorf), I think, took 7 yr intervals 0-7 yr olds, 7-13, 14-21. Anyway... my feeling is that each of these models makes sense, but I don't think that anything drastic happens when a child enters a new one of these stages. It's more about trends towards certain qualities or abilities in larger populations than about one individual child.

I just moved on because we had done what there was to do. And his 5th grade work was very different from his (now) 7th grade work. But, he didn't change that much as a person. If anything he has become less argumentative as he has got older. He is much more likely to listen to reason and take part in a discussion. I can't even remember the last time he was unreasonable about anything. Now, when he was 10 we still had tears over not getting his way etc.

I haven always thought of my kid as pretty much 'on level' but the more I talk to other parents the more I think he is prob ahead with some core skills. But, I could be wrong.

... when they began Logic Stage work in earnest?

Also, when you had them begin LS work, which factor MOST influenced your decision. I realize that many factors may have come into play, but which factor was the most important?

Last question: how were their language skills, specifically reading and writing?

Thank you :)

What do you mean by Logic Stage work in earnest? Especially the "in earnest" part?