Menu

Grammar ? I'd vs I'ld

CafeDiem

Hi there, long time reader... first time poster. I thought you ladies might be able to answer this question for me. Anyone I've asked in person has had no idea what I am talking about...

Ok, am I crazy or was I taught that would used in a contration was 'LD? As in, I'ld for I would even though the L was silent. I'ld like some more cake.

We just hit a grammar lesson on contractions and Rod and Staff does not teach 'ld only 'd. So I would is I'd. To me that only means I had. I was about to take out my pen and "fix" this lesson in his book because I'd for I would just looks so wrong to me but thought maybe I'ld be doing more harm then good. ;)

Does anyone use I'ld any more or this a completely outdated contraction?

I have never heard or seen I'ld. I'd is the contraction for I would. There is (as far as I know) no contraction for I had. Though I've (I have) is frequently used in front of it - As in: I've had enough! -smiley- but we wouldn't say I'd a cookie for I had a cookie.

This seemed so strange to me... I had to look it up. Apparently, I'ld was taught awhile ago (though I think not commonly) in some places like England and Canada and NE US. Shakespeare and Aldous Huxley also used it (one time each).

I can definitely see a pirate saying it.

Yeah, and I'm totally wrong about I had. It would be used for phrases such as I'd been to the movies or I'd read a book. I don't really talk that way, I'd (he, he) say I went to the movies or just plain I read a book.

But I would say, "I'd better be going".

Can't wait to start grammar!

• Like 1

LOL. So I am crazy. Well, I'm glad I just ignored it in his book and taught the lesson as written. I did a quick search too and it does seem like a very old contraction. I'm now wondering how on earth I learned it. I went to Catholic schools in elementary school and we used some seriously old books and if the nuns found a pencil mark in one... watch out! So it must be left over from those days. Although, I have to say that those super old phonics/grammar books were a blessing. My poor younger brothers were only subjected to the public school's "whole language" program.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
30 minutes ago, Janeway said:

Glad it was resurrected. I’d never heard of I’ld before. Neither has Apple as my phone kept trying to correct my spelling.

As it should, since we don't use it in American English. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

And 7 months after that, I’m digging this apparent dead word (or contraction) up again. 
How young are all of you that haven’t heard of “I’ld” ?!?!  I am only 47. It was normal when I was in school.   I was raised in Kansas, Of the United States of America!

In my opinion, the reason hardly anybody uses it anymore, & it is not taught anymore, is because so many illiterate people would use I’d instead. Because they didn’t learn their lesson in school. So it just became accepted that we would use the D without the L. 
(My eyes rolling back, as I shake my head.)

@FromA2Z, I bet you use “I had” as a contraction a lot more than you realize. 
A popular one would be, “I’d better get going now.” Yes, it works without the had, but most still say I’d.   

@CafeDiemNo, you are not crazy. You were well educated.