Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Homeschooling when you have a chronic illness

Jean in Newcastle

I had a very bad couple of years when dd was in 1st and 2nd grade. Ds was in 6th and 7th and was more independent. I hired a neighbor to come over 3x a week and work with dd but neighbor was a flake and only did the stuff that required no teaching work from her. Those were tough years and it affected dd negatively - in that she was a couple of years behind. But the good news is that we've caught up and she is now at grade level.

That must have been hard. :grouphug: But great news that she's all caught up and back on grade level! You must have worked hard to get there.

DH and I have talked about hiring someone to come in a few days a week - either to work with the toddler or to supervise some basic science experiments and projects with DS that I seem to push to the back burner. Still sort of kicking those ideas around, and not sure if we're going to go that route, or which approach we'd take.

1st and 2nd grades I made up a lot of file folder games and "centers" to pull out on bad days. This year, though, I didn't do it - it just seemed too fussy, and too much work for not enough pay off. So on bad days this year, I find that we use DVDs, documentaries, computer time, etc. I wish that we were not relying on screen time quite as much, even if it's somewhat educational. I'd like to think of some new ideas to fall back on, on the bad days.

On a related, but separate note... We were doing fine, really, until our house cleaner had child care issues. Since we were doing so well, I thought it would be great if I could just do it all. You know how that goes? When you have a good period, and you take it for granted? So we didn't scramble to replace her, and now it feels like everything has fallen behind. I'm frustrated because it seems like there's only enough energy to do one thing well - keep up with the house stuff, or keep up with the school stuff. Only enough spoons for one or the other. When I concentrate on the house stuff, it seems to spark off a bad period of days, and then we get into a bad cycle. ...We have a new cleaning person coming on Friday to give an estimate. So that should help a bit.

Till we are back in our groove, though, I'm hunting for independent work ideas. :)

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping you are feeling better now! Or have someone home this weekend to pamper you.

Thanks! I am feeling better now. I ended up calling in sick on Friday, then we had a snowday yesterday, so it gave me plenty of time to recover. I hadn't been that sick in a long time! I spent the whole weekend either sleeping (I slept from 9:45pm on Thursday until 2:15pm on Friday!) or just sitting on the sofa watching tv. I didn't have enough energy to do anything else.

How's everyone doing today? I'm having a hardish time. The time change has really thrown me for a loop. I am doing the "walking through oatmeal" thing as far as fatigue. And a rash I get on my face and scalp from time to time (feels like sunburn) is flaring.

I get the same type of rash, especially on my scalp. I'm grateful that I don't have bald patches because of it.....a friend of mine loses her hair where the rash develops. I am looking into the adrenal supplement you suggested. Have you tried anything on the rash that has helped? It becomes so painful just to wash my hair and every time I get my hair cut, my hair dresser always comments how horribly red and irritated my scalp looks. I'm not even sure what to try to get rid of it because it seems like it never goes away on my scalp. The one I get on my face comes and goes. Its really weird.