Menu

"Easy" Pre-Algebra

Tsutsie

My son desperately wants to learn Calculus. I told him he needs to learn Algebra first, off-course.

We have mostly finished Singapore 4B, and although I would just like to continue with what works, I feel that he has earned being allowed to follow a whim - for a while at least.

I'm not sure if he is ready for ANY pre-algebra program, but maybe there is something easier out there that will satisfy him?

Thanks for you help!

My son desperately wants to learn Calculus. I told him he needs to learn Algebra first, off-course.

We have mostly finished Singapore 4B, and although I would just like to continue with what works, I feel that he has earned being allowed to follow a whim - for a while at least.

I'm not sure if he is ready for ANY pre-algebra program, but maybe there is something easier out there that will satisfy him?

Thanks for you help!

Have you looked at Calculus By and For Young People?

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=10&category=2633

Have you tried Process Skills in problem solving from singaporemath.com? We are going through level 3 now, and I am amazed by the book. The first time I saw the problems, I didn't know that they could be solved without algebra. The book teaches how to solve the problems with diagrams. On closer inspection, the diagram uses the same processes that a set of algebraic equations would use. After my son solves them, I often show him how it would look with letters instead of diagramed boxes, actual algebra. He loves doing the problems, and I know it has well prepared him for algebra.

Btw, thanks Jen for the reminder about Calculus By and For Young People. I have heard good things about it.

You could introduce your son to calculus concurrently while you find a pre-algebra program. I don't see any harm in having him read some books or try to figure it out on his own for fun. Calculus Made Easy (at least the first few chapters) by Silvanus P. Thompson is quite accessible to an interested, enthusiastic younger kid. The link gives you a free pdf download.

I found the Key To workbooks great for mastering pre-algebra concepts quickly. We didn't use them as such as I actually consider anything before algebra to be pre-algebra. But they were a good "just in case" step to help my son cement his fractions, decimals and percents skills. The Key To Algebra series is at about a pre-algebra level too.

You also might want to give him some placement tests, and see where he falls. 4B was about the point that my DD said that math was too easy and boring, and that she wanted to do algebra. I didn't believe it, until I gave her the DOMA and she maxed it out, and until she maxed out a couple of different algebra placement tests. We went through Life of Fred Fractions, decimals and percents, and really accelerated through SM 5A/5B, and this year are doing Pre-Algebra with LoF, Key to Algebra, and a lot of other resources. She's slowed down a bit now that she's at a level that challenges her and is really enjoying math.

We have "Calculus by and for Young People" and she's worked through some of the activities there, too, but have kind of gotten bogged down on the things that expect students to type in BASIC programs-I keep meaning to pull the old Apple // out of the closet, and haven't yet.

If the child wants to learn calculus you could try to teach him some even before he does algebra.

There are just 2 major concepts, integrals and derivatives. You can probably introduce both of those

concepts before teaching functions.

You can have him do some integrals by drawing a line in a coordinate system and have him find

the area of the figure between the line and the x-axis by dividing the figure in smaller figures that

you can consider rectangles. Of course the line that you draw is a function but you don't need to

call it that, at least not at the beginning.

I am having a harder time to come with a good example for derivatives that does not involve

directly talking about functions. The best example I can think of is of drawing a curve and finding

the angle that the curve makes with the x-axis at a few points by calculating deltaY/deltaX.

To fully understand this one need to learn about the tangent. But still one might try a few calculations

and make the step from having the tangent to getting the angle as a simple lookup in a calculator.