Menu

How do I prepare this deer leg?

regentrude

Whenever one has a question, the Hive is the place to go to, right? So, here's mine:

I have never prepared deer - but hunter friends gave us a piece of deer leg. It was frozen, and I am defrosting it right now. I believe I should marinade it over night, right? I lean towards cutting it up into pieces and making a kind of goulash because that seems easy- but maybe I should leave it whole?

Any tips and recommendations are welcome - and please tell me if there is anything I need to avoid.

Thanks!

Definitely marinate it. If it is from the hind quarter, use a strongly flavored marinade since that part of the deer seems to taste more gamey. Venison is pretty lean, so I like to add a fat when I roast it. Usually bacon because, well, I like bacon. :drool:

Definitely marinate it. If it is from the hind quarter, use a strongly flavored marinade since that part of the deer seems to taste more gamey. Venison is pretty lean, so I like to add a fat when I roast it. Usually bacon because, well, I like bacon. :drool:

How do you cook the thing? Whole? Chop it up?

You could just throw it in whole, char it to death, and then tell everyone gee I'm sorry, but I burned the roast. And then go out to dinner!

That would be wasteful, and ungrateful to our friend. She had asked whether we wanted any and I said yes; this was not an unsolicited gift.

I am thinking that I'll simply cook it whole, bone in, in an oven bag; this way it could cook slowly and stay moist to get tender. And then we can cut it when it is cooked.

Oh, but on a more serious note... Another thing you could try is if you happen to know of a small butcher shop around you could call and ask if they will butcher it for you. I'm sure they will charge you for it, but then you won't have to deal with that part.

Thanks - no such luck. No small butcher shop in this town in the middle of nowhere.

I am trying to picture the reaction of the Walmart staff if I unpack a bloody deer leg in front of the deli counter and ask for a butcher... they will probably throw me out and ban me from the premises forever ;-)

Thanks Wendy. After watching this, I feel slightly nauseous and ready to become vegetarian. I am a wimp when it comes to meat. I can't even touch the raw turkey at Thanksgiving.

Btw, I non only don't like sauerkraut, but I also do not drink beer. let alone wear a dirndl.

:lol: Just not a proper German are you? But you are funny. I love imagining you in a dirndl. lol

Ok I looked up what a dirndl is. I never saw anyone in a dirndl in Germany. And food varies wildly from area to area. Except sauerkraut. They have that everywhere it seems.

Unless you go to Bavaria and participate in folksy events (or go to the Octoberfest), you won't see women in dirndls- or men in lederhosen either. In the part of the country where I am from, those are not traditional dress.

Food is not that much different actually - but there one big geographical divide: the white sausage equator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei%C3%9Fwurst%C3%A4quator

White sausage is a special kind of sausage only eaten in the morning - and only in Bavaria.

Happy to report that the deer leg is half thawed and resting in a marinade of red wine, vinegar, garlic, peppercorns and thyme where it will remain overnight.

I would be tempted to put the whole thing in a slow cooker if you have one one large enough. Season and add a couple of onions sliced. My father loved to hunt and venison was a staple growing up. Since I can't remember my mom ever serving cooked leg of venison this must of been a part that she canned. My all time favorite dish with her canned venison was cooking home noodles in the broth with lots of meat. The noodles are easy just egg, flour,and a bit of water. I think the meat after the slow cooker would be similar to canned. Just another idea.