Menu

Anyone doing NANOWRIMO?

Is anyone planning on Nanowrimo in November?

My husband and daughter did it last year and my sons will be doing it this year along with the rest of the family.

My daughter has a great novel she wrote during NANOWRIMO.

13 and up write 50,000 words beginning Nov 1 to end Nov 30.

My husband told me to make sure I plan our schooling so the kids can have enough time to do their writing for November.....

Younger kids are encouraged to do this also but the parent sets the guidelines....

The link is posted above if you want to check it out.......:001_smile:

I did for the first time last year. It was so much fun. My internal editor had the whole month off. :D I finished and am currently working on nanowriye.

My nanowrimo is sitting in rough draft form, ready to be edited.

I'm in the middle of two stories with nanowriye. My goal is to finish the rough draft of one before we go back to school.

I think I'm under elegantlion at nanowrimo. He's the nanowriye link in case you can't wait until November. :D

I did it two or three years ago. I DID finish. I plan to do it this year, but I have no idea what my name is. I will give you an update when I sort it out, though. I have to say that my "novel" was not good but it was an amazing feeling of accomplishment when I finished!

I just finished a wonderful book called "Revision and Self-Editing". It was very encouraging. It was also nice to read that most first drafts of a novel are not good.

It did feel good to simply finish, didn't it?

I just finished a wonderful book called "Revision and Self-Editing". It was very encouraging. It was also nice to read that most first drafts of a novel are not good.

It did feel good to simply finish, didn't it?

Very few first drafts are good. The longer you write the better you get at first drafts.

You do know MANY popular authors wrote several manuscripts before selling one? Nora Roberts (aka J. D. Robb) wrote six complete manuscripts before a romance company bought her first. What ever you think of her writing, remember a couple of years ago, she made 67 million dollars in one calendar year. All because she kept plugging away.

An agent from a NY publishing house said at a conference...I don't want to see a first novel. I don't really want to see a second novel. I want to see the third one because they've proven they can finish something and have matured as a writer.

The moral is keep writing!

I rarely have time for Nano in November. I need a challenge at a different time of year.

Elegantlion and Happy....thanks for sharing the information. I am going to share that with my DD.

I haven't done it yet.....just couldn't figure out what I wanted to write about....

My husband is encouraging everyone to do it this year.....

I will have to tell them both about the nanowriye. This may help hubby to finish his sci-fi he's working on.....

• 2 months later...

Hi! Dropped in to see who else is doing nanowrimo this year. Glad to see a few are aboard. This will be my second year.

I am still working on the 2nd edit of the first novel I did and hope to have most of it done before November. Just decided a couple weeks ago that I wanted to give it another try and going to attempt a mystery.

Now I just have to do the research

I listed as mytwoblessings

Robin

This looks pretty cool! I'm glad I clicked into the post to find out what that strange acronym stood for.

My daughter loves to write. She wrote a story with over 8,600 words last year and another one with more than 4,500 words this year, totally on her own. I think I'd set her word count between 10,000 and 15,000 for the challange just because I know she can. Then I'd let her off the hook for other language arts work for the month.

There's a list of average word count goals by grade.

My 13 yodd is trying to talk me into doing NaNoWriMo. Unfortunatley, I'm not a writer though it does sound really cool.

I looked at the guidelines last year and if I remember correctly, anyone 13 and up who was working independent of a class had to join the adults (50,000 word count). This year 13-17 year old independent writers can set their own word count on the Young Writer's website. They have workbooks for the younger set too. Links are here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59451

So, here's the question I have. How do you write AND do Thanksgiving?

I really just discovered this yesterday, but I think I am going to jump in on the band wagon. I am going to twist an arm or two of DD and insist she tries, but I will probably set her word count pretty low. She won't be home the first week of November, and she really doesn't type much. I think she will enjoy seeing how many words she has typed, and with built in spell checker she won't get to frustrated with no knowing how to spell something. As for myself, I have no idea what I am getting myself into as I am not really an aspiring writer, but thought I would give my creative juices a new outlet for the month.

Thanks Joannqn.

Ooh--spelling. Ugh. They could drive me nuts with spelling reqests!

I wish I'd known about this earlier--however, this might be an incentive to get them back to their typing. It would mean putting aside our "formal" writing curriculuum. I'll have to think about it some more.

I am, however, considering doing this myself.

Just for yucks.

That's what I am going to do. I'm going to take this month and the next month off of formal language arts.

Instead, I'm going to have my daughter work on the workbook for the rest October and then have her spend November doing the actual writing.

That's what I am going to do. I'm going to take this month and the next month off of formal language arts.

Instead, I'm going to have my daughter work on the workbook for the rest October and then have her spend November doing the actual writing.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing.

I just logged in to my NaNo acct and see I need to update my age! :D I'm 5wolfcubs there too -- and looking forward to seeing you all! I have mytwoblessings (Robin) on my Writing Buddies from last year...I'll look for the rest of you!

:seeya:

We've done the "minimal LA" for November also...this year I've got a different curriculum and will have to restructure a little.

I just signed up yesterday. I downloaded the high school level workbook -I think going through the exercises now will be a good warm-up for next month. Still working on my character list . . . :D

I downloaded the high school one too. I am waiting for someone to notice it laying around.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in.

After years of dillying and dallying, making excuses, and generally telling everyone why it won't work for me, I'm in this year. NO EXCUSES.

But, in standard style, I'm a rebel because my project will be a non-fiction one. :D

How do I find the social group?

My just-turned 13 yo wants to do it this year. His English teacher (he's in ps) is giving kids extra credit and lighter homework for the month if they participate. The teacher told them they can set their own goals (it's 7th grade--maybe he thinks they are all 12?). My son is thinking 500 words a day.

The problem? We will be on vacation at Disney World for a week in November. I just don't see how DS will have time to write 500 words a day while we are there.

Not to mention, due to personal experiences, we're not keen to see any of our kids become writers. :glare:

We told him he can writer 500 words tomorrow and see what it's like. Then we'll talk about the Disney week.

I'm in.

After years of dillying and dallying, making excuses, and generally telling everyone why it won't work for me, I'm in this year. NO EXCUSES.

But, in standard style, I'm a rebel because my project will be a non-fiction one. :D

How do I find the social group?

If you click under user control panel, then click on social groups, there were are.

I think technically to qualify for nanowrimo you are supposed to write fiction. However there is nothing to preclude you from writing non-fiction alongside us and we'll be great support for you.

The site was down this morning, otherwise I'd look up the rules.

My just-turned 13 yo wants to do it this year. His English teacher (he's in ps) is giving kids extra credit and lighter homework for the month if they participate. The teacher told them they can set their own goals (it's 7th grade--maybe he thinks they are all 12?). My son is thinking 500 words a day.

The problem? We will be on vacation at Disney World for a week in November. I just don't see how DS will have time to write 500 words a day while we are there.

Not to mention, due to personal experiences, we're not keen to see any of our kids become writers. :glare:

We told him he can writer 500 words tomorrow and see what it's like. Then we'll talk about the Disney week.

Does he need to set a daily goal or can it be a monthly total? If you can do a monthly total simply subtract the days you will be out of town from the writing amount.

I think NaNoWriMo would be a good experience, even if they have no desire to become a writer. I told my ds that next year he will be allowed to participate. I hope that he learns how to set a goal, work daily towards it, and be proud of stretching himself.

I think technically to qualify for nanowrimo you are supposed to write fiction. However there is nothing to preclude you from writing non-fiction alongside us and we'll be great support for you.

There's a rebel group that uses NaNo for non-fiction. :D

I have two book length fiction projects that I may switch to if I run into a wall. Both of them are stalled. Writing with abandon would unstick either one of those.

It's fun to know the internal editor has to take the month off. She works overtime in my head.

If you click under user control panel, then click on social groups, there were are.

The site was down this morning, otherwise I'd look up the rules.

Oh, I see now. The official rules are fiction only. There's a forum for non-fic writers, so I thought any writing would count. And I've known some real life folks doing non-fic during November. Shucks.

Maybe I'll do a fanfic or a sci-fi instead. I don't want to bring a already started novel to the table. I think.

I have a few hours to make up my mind. That should be easy enough. :tongue_smilie:

It's fun to know the internal editor has to take the month off. She works overtime in my head.

I have a few hours to make up my mind. That should be easy enough. :tongue_smilie:

My internal editor is bagged, gagged, and under lock and key already. I hear faint screaming in the distance. :lol::lol:

A few hours should be plenty of time to come up with a new story, don't forget the bunny trails. :D:D