Menu

American Heritage Girls

jillian

Just discovered there is a troop in my area. DD is 5, and I've looked at it several times as an alternative to Girl Scouts. Is it worth joining from the beginning? DH would most likely have to take her because I work Tuesday nights, would that be a problem?

Is she in Kindergarten? Many troops require parents to stay with kindergarten girls as it is intended as a parent/child program, similar to Tiger Cubs. If that's okay with him, then it should be fine. :) You might look for information on the Pathfinder unit because it is different than the older girls. They don't work on badges or things like that until first grade. It is a good intro for younger girls as they learn more about AHG.

Thanks that's what I was worried about that she'd be the "only one with a dad". I unfortunately have to work late on Tuesdays and I try to go with her to as much as possible but I will talk to them. I also don't know what time they meet, she's in "K" by her age, or any details other than there is a troop roughly 30 minutes from me.

Our troop does not require a parent to stay or participate....I leave with my 2 girls because I have to tend to my 1 year old. I do try to stick around and help at special events when more hands are needed though.

Mine doesn't either, but many do. I would definitely call the local troop and ask, if it might be an issue for you/dh/dd. :)

The Pathfinder book is pretty clear that it is an adult/child program. We do have an adult for each Pathfinder and they take turns giving the program. We have had dads, granddads, grandmothers, moms, and ... well, even my oldest son (because the Coordinator and would leave the room sometimes).

The Pathfinder book is pretty clear that it is an adult/child program. We do have an adult for each Pathfinder and they take turns giving the program. We have had dads, granddads, grandmothers, moms, and ... well, even my oldest son (because the Coordinator and would leave the room sometimes).

Our troop is mostly army. We have no grandparents involved. Right now we have 2 leaders with deployed husbands. We have cub and Boy Scout groups who meet at the same time, so a lot of the available dads volunteer on that side. Some of our pathfinder girls have had moms who volunteer in other groups or have deployed husbands and younger kids. That is why we don't require it in our group.

Thanks that's what I was worried about that she'd be the "only one with a dad". I unfortunately have to work late on Tuesdays and I try to go with her to as much as possible but I will talk to them. I also don't know what time they meet, she's in "K" by her age, or any details other than there is a troop roughly 30 minutes from me.

Our troop actually has quite a strong male presence. It was started by a dad. The activities co-originator is a dad - he's even on the national board and a designer of one of the badges. Last year my dh was the treasurer and several dads are active in meetings and activities. You might be surprised to find that your daughter isn't the only one with a dad.

I would definitely start her as a Pathfinder if you can. My DD had so much fun with the pathfinder program. I agree with the others who said you should check with the unit to find out if parents need to stay, especially because the Pathfinder program (like the Cub Scouts Tiger program) is pretty clear about national expecting an adult to stay with each child.

I lead our Tenderhearts (1-3 graders) and really wish more parents would participate. Thank goodness at least one of my assistant leaders is there every time because it's hard to wrangle 8-12 6-9 yos at 4 p.m. when they have been doing school all day, are hungry, and just want to play.

AHG does require two-deep leadership so there should be at least 2 trained adults in the room with the girls at all times.

Our troop actually has quite a strong male presence. It was started by a dad. The activities co-originator is a dad - he's even on the national board and a designer of one of the badges. Last year my dh was the treasurer and several dads are active in meetings and activities. You might be surprised to find that your daughter isn't the only one with a dad.

Are you in Ed Schlegal's troop?

I am a Pathfinder leader and we are supposed to have parent participation, but two of the moms can not attend. We usually have me and one other mom and this works out ok. I would check out the meeting and see if it's possible for her to attend. Also, I personally wouldn't see a problem with a father volunteering! It could be a great bonding experience for them.

I am an AHG troop coordinator and we "require" a parent for the Pathfinders but we will make exceptions on a case by case basis. We also have cubs and BSA running at the same time so sometimes parents cannot be there. I myself will have a Pathfinder next troop year.

As far as Dads, we welcome them. I currently have 2 leaders that are fathers and a least 1-2 more that are the parent that brings the girls.

Each troop is different. Don't be afraid to ask questions and tell the leaders your situation. Our troop has been around for 15 years.

Jenn