Menu

To Kindle or not to Kindle?

SFM

Weird! My posts keep getting eaten.... :(

So, I am not very technological. I actually tend to fight against it, however, I am considering purchasing a Kindle. My son goes through books very quickly and we live in Japan so we already have to order MOST of what we are wanting to read. I think it could be seen as a bonus that we would utilize less paper -- which I am all for in favor of environmental conservation. I just love the idea of a paper book in my hand with a pen or highlighter and even tears on pages that touched me. I cannot imagine going completely digital but it might be good for our traveling and for our current location.

I digress.

Which Kindle? What are the differences? Should I get one specifically for my son as well as myself --- or can you store different "profiles" on the same Kindle?

Thanks and any other information you can provide would be great. I am still weighing our options...

If you want it for regular reading, and the possibility of apps, games, etc. is not a draw or concern, then I would just get the basic Kindle (although, the new one with the light, I forget the name, sounds very very very cool). We have the old one that is now called the Keyboard model, and the newer one (with ads, to get it cheaper; the ads are not a problem at all).

Like you, we got ours because of living internationally and having no/limited access to books in English. The ability to buy a book and read it right now is delightful, and I'm so glad we got ours. We do have 2 separate Kindles (plus DH has the Kindle App on his iPad), so that my books are on one, and DS's books are on another. With the models we have, there is no way to set different profiles; if I hand him my kindle, he would have access to all of my books. I'd rather him not (plus I do not want to have to share), so we each have our own. As my oldest son starts using the Kindle more, we might get him his own as well.

I would not get the Kindle Fire unless you also want apps, games, etc.

Even with 2 Kindles, you can share books (so, only buy the book one time, and it can be on both if you want it to be). I really can't imagine not having ours, not while living internationally. Just having access to books.....it's huge.

I've had Kindles for years now and can't imagine not having a dedicated b&w e-reader. My first one was a K2, which still works but the battery life isn't what it used to be. I also have the $69 wifi-only version with ads. I keep it in the Amazon leather cover with built-in light. Both the Kindle and lighted cover work wonderfully and I'm very happy with. I got them before the paperwhite was available. Not sure which one I would've picked had the paperwhite been available at the time.

Be sure to see what books would be available to you in Japan. Not all Kindle books are available in all countries. This isn't Amazon's fault - it's what the publisher decides.

With Amazon, it depends on where your Amazon account is (mostly). There are some exceptions, but for the most part if you list a US address on your US account, and set your country to US, they let you shop the US selection. Even if paying with a non-US credit card.

There are countries for which this doesn't work, but for the most part, it's a non-issue IF you are using a US Amazon account.

With Amazon, it depends on where your Amazon account is (mostly). There are some exceptions, but for the most part if you list a US address on your US account, and set your country to US, they let you shop the US selection. Even if paying with a non-US credit card.

There are countries for which this doesn't work, but for the most part, it's a non-issue IF you are using a US Amazon account.

This works for me in Malaysia.

I read 95% on my iPad. Books are so expensive here and the selection is not great. I would be lost without ebooks!

This works for me in Malaysia.

I read 95% on my iPad. Books are so expensive here and the selection is not great. I would be lost without ebooks!

If you have an Amazon Prime account you can "borrow" a book from Amazon. I see it all the time. I believe it is one/ month. Because I have a K2 it does not have this capability and I have not tried it with any of my daughters' kindles. Yes, we are a four Kindle family. The newer Kindles can also borrow books from the library if your local library offers this, and some kindle books can be loaned from one kindle to another. I thought I would never want one. I love books, the feel, smell, look, etc, etc. Dh bought me one and now (three years later) it is what I would rescue after my children if there were a fire. I enjoy it that much.

Amber in SJ

I thought I would never want one. I love books, the feel, smell, look, etc, etc. Dh bought me one and now (three years later) it is what I would rescue after my children if there were a fire. I enjoy it that much.

Amber in SJ

I thought I'd never want one either, but my dh thought I'd like one and gave me a Kindle for my birthday a few years ago. I hardly read traditional print books anymore.

Re the bolded: A friend was in a bad accident and her car was totaled. One of the first things she said after assuring us (her friends) that she and her daughter were okay is, "My Kindle survived."

I adore my Kindle! I have a 3rd Gen Kindle Keyboard, so I can't comment on the touch screen versions. The thing is just genius. My account is registered to a US address, so even in Germany, I don't have problems getting books. I say to Kindle!

Dh bought me one and now (three years later) it is what I would rescue after my children if there were a fire. I enjoy it that much.

Amber in SJ

LOL! Me too.

If you have an Amazon Prime account you can "borrow" a book from Amazon. I see it all the time. I believe it is one/ month. Because I have a K2 it does not have this capability and I have not tried it with any of my daughters' kindles. Yes, we are a four Kindle family. The newer Kindles can also borrow books from the library if your local library offers this, and some kindle books can be loaned from one kindle to another. I thought I would never want one. I love books, the feel, smell, look, etc, etc. Dh bought me one and now (three years later) it is what I would rescue after my children if there were a fire. I enjoy it that much.

Amber in SJ

I have an old Keyboard model Kindle and I can borrow books. I just can't find many that have the borrow feature. It took me a while to figure out how to use it though. I found a book I wanted by looking at the books on my laptop. Then I use my Kindle to retrieve it. I think it asks if I want to borrow it because the cost is $0.00 and then I have to actually return it by deleting it.