Menu

Mystery of History-love it or hate it?

It is one of my favorite programs. We used it prior to high school - mostly K-7. I know some people use it for high school but I think one would need to beef it up just a bit and the author may have incorporated some of that "beefing up" in the new editions. It's been a few years since we've used it.

ETA: I just saw the "why" do you love it. I liked the supplemental reading suggestions for each age group (very helpful and a time saver), I liked the short reading sections that the kids could do on their own-I liked her writing style, I liked having the extra information for the teacher, I liked most of the projects (some were a little lame). I found it easy to modify if necessary.

When I looked at it, I found an extra-biblical reference to the tabernacle that detracted from the Biblical function of the tabernacle. I decided then that I didn't want to use it because if I was looking for an integrated curriculum and if I had to leave out parts of it, it wouldn't be integrated. I wasn't impressed enough with the other features to make it worth my while to go through and edit the Bible study portion.

We just finished our 3rd week and it seems to be a good fit for our family. I love how my kids are getting a Biblical perspective of how the stories they know (like Adam/Eve, Noah, Abraham) are intertwined with world history. I never had that growing up and I am enjoying it too! I love the little pre and post tests for each week (which we really do just for a fun review- no pressure), the added book suggestions, and the quick little activities. So far I am very impressed. FWIW we started out our year trying out MOH, SOTW, and CHOW and the kids like MOH the best.

As a child and young adult my own history education was so compartmentalized. Biblical history was in a different box in my head than secular history. I love MOH because it puts all of history in one chronological box for my daughter! It works for us!

I love it. My oldest dd used Vol I & II and now my next 2 children are using Vol 1. I lile how you can just use the readings (which are also available on audio) or you can add mapping, timelines, tests and different activities for the different age levels. It also has a suggested reading list in the back if you want want to supplement. It has proven to be pretty flexible for my family and I plan on contiuing to use it for the rest of my children in the middle grades.

We tried MOH2 audio this year. It is known as fuzzy-sleepy-history in our house. The quality of the recording is rather poor, varying from one track to the next. It also has odd music choices playing in the background and an extremely sentimental reading voice by the author. After the animated tales of Jim Weiss, it simply didn't compare.

Content wise, it is interesting to use as a supplement, but I don't think it covers enough (full disclosure: I would probably say that about any single material). Also, I thought I was going to enjoy the Biblical integration, but it presents a more extreme worldview than I am comfortable with, spending a lot of time covering the lives of European saints and explaining why the author believes dragons really existed.

I don't necessarily dislike MOH, but I have found that we prefer a combination of Veritas Press self-paced courses, SOTW, and lots of additional books to get the combination of Biblical worldview and depth that works for us.

We tried MOH2 audio this year. It is known as fuzzy-sleepy-history in our house. The quality of the recording is rather poor, varying from one track to the next. It also has odd music choices playing in the background and an extremely sentimental reading voice by the author. After the animated tales of Jim Weiss, it simply didn't compare.

My Dc and I thought the sentimentality actually showed even in the writing.

Content wise, it is interesting to use as a supplement, but I don't think it covers enough (full disclosure: I would probably say that about any single material).

I think many people who use it add the extra materials suggested. For older students especially it is not anywhere near enough meat to use on its own.

Also, I thought I was going to enjoy the Biblical integration, but it presents a more extreme worldview than I am comfortable with, spending a lot of time covering the lives of European saints and explaining why the author believes dragons really existed.

We are conservative Christians and still didn't care for some of the author's views, especially the assumptions that seemed to imply that, of course, we would all agree with her. I caught several belief choices mentioned as fact without references to other possible theories also believed by Christians, historians and archeologists. Diana Waring has some strong opinions, but at least she does explain what the other beliefs/evidences are and even at times tells her readers that we cannot always be sure which is correct.

One section we didn't care for I remember vaguely mentioning something like how great it might be for my Dc to maybe become the ones who discover real pieces of Noah's Ark so we can show them to the world and let them see God's truth (probably a terrible paraphrase considering how long it's been). They could not figure out why they needed parts of the ark to talk to people about their faith. It just didn't match our personal beliefs, though I do know families who enjoy that aspect of the curriculum. I didn't think I would be as bothered by it as I was, but once we sat down to read the guide out loud it got old fast. I suppose it would be easy enough to skip those parts.

It's admirable that the author is concerned for the souls of others, but we were looking for more of a Bible/history curriculum and did not enjoy the apologetics woven in. We can get that elsewhere.

I don't necessarily dislike MOH, but I have found that we prefer a combination of Veritas Press self-paced courses, SOTW, and lots of additional books to get the combination of Biblical worldview and depth that works for us.

We also preferred a different combination. While supplemental reading is suggested for older students there isn't much support for the teacher. I don't consider a suggestion for me to assign a report/project of much help. I can think of those myself. Give me some teacher's notes that might make it easier for me to talk to my older children about their supplemental reading--that would be helpful as Dc get older and I am not always able to keep up with all of their reading. Of course, I'm speaking of the edition we tried at least 5 years ago. Maybe updated editions are different.

Apologies to those who like it. It just wasn't our cup of tea. It might be just the right fit for others.

We loved it. I used the books as a spine to read-aloud to all the children (3rd-8th at the time) right after breakfast. My readers supplemented with narrative histories in MOH I which is light on Greek/Roman history because of incorporating Biblical events for history. Some used Famous Men of xxx and some read from Guerber's books. Now there are even more choices wrt narrative histories based on what I see at Yesterday's Classics.

With MOH, we finally accomplished our timeline and the kids enjoyed the little pre/post tests--often done orally. We also had quite a few books on hand for free reading (often books suggested by Sonlight or VP).

We did only a few of the suggested weekly activities; I concentrated on reading, brief discussions, tests, and the timeline for my children at that time.

As a side note, when my second oldest daughter went off to college, she took an Honors colloquium course that looked at Ancient History, Lit, and Art and was taught by three professors. On "Parent's Day", we sat in on her class and they were just beginning a look at Chinese history and art. For background, to bring all the students up to date, the professor went over some characteristics and values of the culture to provide enough context for their readings. We had learned it all from MOH, none of it was new. Now, does that mean MOH is college-level info? NO! But MOH gave us enough info and a broadbase to well prepare for highschool/university studies.

I do think it is light for highschool without any supplementation, but with it, quite satisfactory, especially if the child is not grounded in a fairly comprehensive overview of world history and completes some of the suggested projects.

HTH

This is one of those curriculums I bought, looked at sold, and re-bought, shelved and finally used. I initially bought it for grammar stage usage but it was not a good fit. The info was to much for my at the time student and the work was not what I was looking for. When I re-bought it I had intentions of using it for ideas only but never did. Last year I finally pulled it off my shelf and looked at it for my High School ds. It looked like it was easy enough for him to do and would not cost me any money (my homeschool budget was gone). He LOVED it. He said it was the first history book that did not put him to sleep (for a teen who thinks everything school is boring that is high praise). it covers World History but the research assignments takes him into world history not often discussed and he likes that. Lots of historical trivia that has them looking for more and learning tons. The curriculum is easy to use 3 lessons a week you read and pick from a list the work you want to do. It could be make a list, look up and write, draw, read and learn about, and more. By the end of the week he has written a paper from research, gathered facts on another research assignment, and just read on the third one. Did map work and wrote index cards for the important people places events. We will be doing all 4 volumes (the last should be out next year.

For upper level...love it

For Grammar stage...did not like