Menu

VT update and a thank you...

Joker

Several of you helped me work this out right before the holidays so I wanted to give an update. We just passed our 8 week mark and had an evaluation. Dd has improved so much already!!! Her tracking and focus has become noticeably better to me, to the dr, and in her tests. She's started reading again for fun!! I'm hardly noticing any reversals and she isn't confusing words as often. It's amazing and I think it seems so huge because I really had doubts about if VT would work at all.

Now, the focus is on her eye teaming because she's still struggling with one eye wandering. Some of the exercises we do at home have made me really notice how bad it is.

So, that's where we're at and I now really expect this to work for her and to continue to see improvements. She's supposed to have therapy into May so we've still got a while yet, but I just wanted to say thanks to those who helped me figure this out and put us on the right path. :thumbup1:

Several of you helped me work this out right before the holidays so I wanted to give an update. We just passed our 8 week mark and had an evaluation. Dd has improved so much already!!! Her tracking and focus has become noticeably better to me, to the dr, and in her tests. She's started reading again for fun!! I'm hardly noticing any reversals and she isn't confusing words as often. It's amazing and I think it seems so huge because I really had doubts about if VT would work at all.

Now, the focus is on her eye teaming because she's still struggling with one eye wandering. Some of the exercises we do at home have made me really notice how bad it is.

So, that's where we're at and I now really expect this to work for her and to continue to see improvements. She's supposed to have therapy into May so we've still got a while yet, but I just wanted to say thanks to those who helped me figure this out and put us on the right path. :thumbup1:

Okay, don't be a tease :D !! How often does he go? Is it costly?

Okay, don't be a tease :D !! How often does he go? Is it costly?

She goes for one hour one day a week. We do exercises they give us the other six days. The downside is that it is costly and insurance, at least ours, will not pay for any of it. We took a non-peak time slot so we pay $350 month. If we were unable to take an early weekday time we would be paying $500 month for an afternoon slot. It's much more costly than I imagined but I'm so happy with the results so far, so I'm glad we went ahead with it.

She goes for one hour one day a week. We do exercises they give us the other six days. The downside is that it is costly and insurance, at least ours, will not pay for any of it. We took a non-peak time slot so we pay $350 month. If we were unable to take an early weekday time we would be paying $500 month for an afternoon slot. It's much more costly than I imagined but I'm so happy with the results so far, so I'm glad we went ahead with it.

That's not too bad... I am so glad it is working!!

I am glad to hear your progress since I have forged ahead with vision therapy for my 17 year old son, too (I posted some questions awhile back to which some wise hive members responded). I have not seen remarkeable progress yet because our therapist said something is not allowing the therapy to "stick"--he is doing light therapy to expand his peripheral vision and is not making as much progress with it as she had hoped (sounds like voo-doo to me).

Anyway, your post gives me hope as did all the others. Thanks for the update.

our therapist said something is not allowing the therapy to "stick"--he is doing light therapy to expand his peripheral vision and is not making as much progress with it as she had hoped (sounds like voo-doo to me).
What are the objective ways to see if vision therapy is working, e.g.,

- Near point of convergence < 6 cm or a decrease >= 4 cm?

- "Positive fusional vergence at near" > 15, or increase >= 10?

- Convergence Insufficiency Symptom Survey < 16?