Menu

Trying to make ink from dyes using alum and potash, what specific chemicals do we need?

My ds went to a medieval lecture on making inks and paints from dye. The lecturer added "alum" and "potash" and the dye precipitated out. I assume it was an insoluble salt. She did not know the exact chemicals that she used and unfortunately "alum" and "potash" are both generalized terms. We have done quite a bit of internet research and cannot figure out what we are supposed to use. Can anyone help us?

We currently have : Sulphate of potash which is Potassium Sulphate, and Alum which is potassium aluminium sulfate

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Thanks! I will have my son read that site. We did not even think to look at dye sites. He was trying to determine which 2 chemicals would react and produce a insoluble salt so was wandering around Wikipedia and chemistry sites!

The lecturer suggested that we buy a crystal deodorant stick and grind it up for the alum. So I am not sure that she bought anything official. :)

What IS potash? And is it pronounced pot-ash or po-tash? Anyway I have an Indian cookbook that claims one can make homemade Vimto using potash, and I have NEVER understood this. The author also claims that it is readily available in Indian grocery stores. I don't really need to perform this experiment, as I don't really drink truckloads of Vimto, and a bottle only costs like $5, but I have been wondering for years what potash is and how it would make a drink that tastes like black currant, without killing the one who drank it.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was in college I was a part of a group that did a "scribe" project. We made ink from a red wine base and some things from the chemistry professor. I think we also cheated and added some black fabric dye - we didn't have the time to boil down black walnut shells.

We found the recipe on the internet. Sorry, I can't remember where exactly.

As you are in NZ, try finding a handspinners and weavers club/guild. (Cos I hear there are a couple of sheep across the water there.)

Mum did lots of wool dyeing and used various of these chemicals when I was younger, so they should be able to help you with sourcing etc.

Otherwise maybe a potters club/guild, I made some glazes at school and TAFE forever ago that used potash etc.

Anyway, extra leads can't hurt.

Sounds like fun.