Menu

LOF Algebra?

We have used LOF off and on since fractions. Ds liked the earlier books and enjoyed part of the algebra book. Last month he asked to switch to a different program. I was surprised. He's in a new mind frame and found the story line distracting. Have you ever used LOF? If not, I recommend borrowing a book to gauge your student's response. I think the math is sound, but it's presented in a different way, so it may not appeal to all. There are also fewer problems in some exercises. If you use the home companion (which I recommend) there are 108 lessons. There is a new practice book that I have not seen, but would probably buy as well.

In our case we chose to go back to the older Dolciani, which I will not be supplementing with LOF.

LOF is such a different kind of program, I recommend people try it before deciding how to implement it into their overall program.

My daughter is currently using LoF Beginning Algebra combined with Real World Algebra. I also supplement with algebra worksheets from various internet sites. In itself LoF provides good instructions and my daughter loves the story line; however, I find that she often needs more drill in the actual mechanics thus the worksheets. LoF and Real World Algebra are both strong in word problems but present them differently thus being beneficial for this child who would prefer to approach problems from a formulaic approach. As LoF only has 108 lesson there is plenty of time to supplement where necessary.

i tried LOF algebra the first year I was homeschooling (8th) and it was a flop. We did the pre-algebra and bio book, which had just come out, and that was fine. Tried algebra again, another flop. Finally we worked through 2 years of upper level singapore - turns out there was a lot of pre-algebra he really didnt know. he did LOF as a review and it was fine. we'll continue that way.

for his little brother, fractions was fine by itself, although we had already read the murderous maths book on fractions

Do you use this as a stand alone curriculum? If not would MUS work well with LOF? I am exploring options for my ds next year. He is using TT this year, but really wants to return to MUS.

Yes, we used LOF Algebra as a stand alone curriculum and it worked well. But I would not go from TT Pre-Algebra to LOF Algebra. After LOF Beginning Algebra I had DS take the TT placement test and he tested into Precalc. (We didn't switch to TT, I was just curious). LOF Beginning ALgebra is more like TT algebra 1+2 and LOF Advanced Algebra is the Algebra that you would normally get in Precalc.

If you want to change from TT, I would probably go with MUS as the main program and add LOF for depth. We love LOF here, but it is not for everyone and you definitely need a solid foundation before jumping into Algebra. I'm not convinced that TT Prealgebra is a solid enough foundation.

Yes, we used LOF Algebra as a stand alone curriculum and it worked well. But I would not go from TT Pre-Algebra to LOF Algebra. After LOF Beginning Algebra I had DS take the TT placement test and he tested into Precalc. (We didn't switch to TT, I was just curious). LOF Beginning ALgebra is more like TT algebra 1+2 and LOF Advanced Algebra is the Algebra that you would normally get in Precalc.

If you want to change from TT, I would probably go with MUS as the main program and add LOF for depth. We love LOF here, but it is not for everyone and you definitely need a solid foundation before jumping into Algebra. I'm not convinced that TT Prealgebra is a solid enough foundation.

I'm curious. What math curriculums have you used besides LOF?

I'm curious. What math curriculums have you used besides LOF?

Quite a few. I didn't discover Fred until after the girls had graduated so only the boys have used Fred. Both boys started in PS but since being home have used Miquon, Making Math Meaningful (Cornerstone) and Fred. DS12 used Fred as a supplement from Fractions on and switched to just Fred once he hit Algebra, but I have also just introduced AOPS for him to slow him down again.

Not sure if this answers what you wanted to know.

Dd has completed LoF from fractions through Calculus. Loved all of them. She has also done NEM (3rd year was Discovery because of lack of a good answer key for NEM). A beka through Algebra. All of the Key to series. She is working on an old British text called Pure Mathematics which she considers to be the next after NEM for her. She likes to use the Dummies books as a reference (bought most when a Borders closed) so technically has done those to. She tests well and loves math which Fred has helped with. Not sure how fred would work for AP exams since we have not gone there yet.

Ds has done most of the above through LoF Algebra II. He is also doing AoPS counting and probability. I think we are going to get the rest of the a beka sequence for him. He seems to do his best with a beka and LoF.

Personally I think LOF can be a stand alone. For calc dd has simply done Fred and the Dummies book and appears to test reasonably well. Just exams I found on the internet but solid A's so good understanding on basic material not written to her text. Another hive member has gone through and compared the Algebra -- need to do both lof I and II because topics are in an unusual order-- and declared it a complete course. She has a math degree.

My ds frequently grasps the big concepts in math and science quickly. He can move through fred rapidly and do great. His problem is he misses the little points which is why he must do another text with it.

I have used LOF with MUS. I like LOF for summer review after they have finished another program. Also - IMHO - Algebra I is key, so I made all of my kiddos do at least 2 Algebra I programs in order to make sure they really understood the concepts rather than just being able to plug and chug their way through one program without truly getting the concepts. Some of my kids have definitely liked Fred better than others. It is great for concepts and review, but I do have a kid that needs to do lots a practice problems in order to really get a new concept and so Fred doesn't work as her first math program.

Our two older students have used LOF as a stand alone curric. for high school. At first I was nervous about it's non-traditional approach, so I administered state based content exams at the Alg1 and Geo levels to ensure that my kids had received an adequate background.Both tested extremely well.

Our older student did years K-5 in public (Everyday Math) then we brought her home and she used Saxon in grade 6. We began using LOF at the Alg 1 level in 7th, did Geometry in 8th, Advanced Alg. in 9th, Trig. in 10th. She scored a 30 on the Math portion of the ACT and a 650 on the SAT at the end of 10th. She placed into Calc. at our local Uni for 11th but chose to do a semester of Pre-Calc first as review, in which she received a 94. She felt that LOF gave her a great background, and covered all the concepts required for her first semester of college level math. She does feel that the level of difficulty of some of the individual problems presented at the college level were slightly more difficulty. She is now studying LOF Calc. as preparation for tackling Calc. 1 and 2 at the Uni. next year in 12th. FWIW she is a strong math student and plans to major in a STEM field. She has mostly self-taught.

My second dd is not as intuitively "mathy". She was in public from K-3. After bringing her home we used Singapore through 5B then began with LOF Fractions/Dec./Pre-Alg w/Bio. She also did Alg 1 in 7th, Geo. in 8th, and is taking Alg. 2 this year in 9th. I have used Larson texts to supplement with her from Alg 1 forward just because she isn't as confident with math and appreciates the extra practice. The new "Zillions" book available now may have been helpful, but it had not been published yet when we used the course. This dd expresses interest in the nursing program at our local Uni. which will only require College Alg. and Stats. I may not have her complete the LOF Trig. book and use her 10th grade year to do more Alg. review instead. She'll likely tackle those courses via dual enrollment in 11th and 12th grades.

I agree with other posters that LOF isn't a great fit for every student. I've tutored a couple of kids who have really struggled with it. Borrow a copy if possible and let your child work through a trial chapter. It is definitely short on practice problems, so supplementation may be necessary for some students. Some of the instruction is contained within the problem sets (Your Turn to Play and first two of the "Cities") so it is important that the student works all of the contained problems and carefully review the provided solutions. Some kids get thrown or frustrated by this method and prefer that all instruction is delivered prior to encountering a problem set. Others like mine enjoy working through the concept and aren't bothered by this.