Menu

Horse people--- anyone have a donkey too?

Jann in TX

A friend has asked us to consider taking in an abandoned donkey (Ok-- most likely a female so a 'Jenny' right?).

The donkey is supposedly friendly and appears healthy.

We have a horse (quarter horse gelding around 30 yrs old in good health). He has not lived with another horse for the past 10 years. It has been 2 years since he has even seen another horse. When he was last around other horses he got along easily with 2 of them--but did not get along with a more dominant gelding.

Everyone we talk to says to get 'Jack' a friend. We have plenty of room in the paddock for a second animal (run in can be divided into 2 stalls). Our 60'round pen can act as a temp. yard and we can also use our back yard (but no shelters in either of these).

I told my friend if they can trailer the donkey over AND if my horse accepts her then we could possibly keep her (if vet check comes back OK).

Am I crazy to consider this?

Would a horse and a donkey get along?

Thoughts?

Any special care for a donkey?

My inlaws have donkeys and have kept them in the same pasture as the horses. The only time there were any problems was between the jack(fully intact) and the gelding. They were constantly fighting it out to see who was most dominant and surprisingly the donkey held his ground quite definitely, even though there was a significant size difference.

I would say to introduce them to each other and see how it goes. Your old guy may like a companion, you never know until you try.

Good luck.

My friend's arab has a jenny donkey for a his best friend. Betsy is in with 3 geldings and does just fine. My kids ride her bareback a bit and my friend's daughter takes her out on the trails sometimes. It is just VERY important NOT to let them get too fat as it is hard to take off the fat deposits once they are there. Betsy came to them very very overweight and my friend really can't get much weight off her.

If you older gelding need senior feed or a higher quality hay you might need to separate them for feeding.

My friend's arab has a jenny donkey for a his best friend. Betsy is in with 3 geldings and does just fine. My kids ride her bareback a bit and my friend's daughter takes her out on the trails sometimes. It is just VERY important NOT to let them get too fat as it is hard to take off the fat deposits once they are there. Betsy came to them very very overweight and my friend really can't get much weight off her.

If you older gelding need senior feed or a higher quality hay you might need to separate them for feeding.

Most donks and horses get along just fine. Donkeys pride themselves on keeping stray animals away from thier property. They are normally quite watchful. There is always going to be an adjustment period, but after a couple weeks they should be just fine. Keep the new one in the round pen for a few days atleast, so they can visit safely. Most donkeys need very little to eat, but hay or grass. They are quite hardy. They do need farrier work just like any other horse, but they don't normally need to be trimmed that often. My neighbors donks get trimmed about four times a year. They can be pretty sweet too, but won't hesitate to take down a stray dog (some hate dogs)...oh and yes, do not let them get fat...it's easy to do.