Menu

ADHD DX and working with a more natural approach

6wishes

My daughter was just dx with ADHD by a neuropsych, and after looking at the meds that our pediatrician normally prescribes, I am really nervous and wanting to look into the more natural treatments (diet, supplements, am I missing anything else??). I am assuming there are good blogs or websites with this kind of information, and was wanting to find out ones from people who are here, and willing to share? My dd, who is 11, also does not have an interest in taking any medication for this. Thanks!

There are many things that can help:

for some kids going gluten and/or dairy free, sugar free or dye free makes a big difference

Good quality fish oils---1000mg of EPA per day with a high EPA:DHA ratio Omega Brites, Nordic Naturals, etc.

Higher protein, lower refined carb diet

making sure to get enough exercise

time out in the sun

checking Vitamin D levels, as well as thyroid, blood sugars, for anemia, etc.

I am sure there are more but that is a few of the more common things that can help. That said, we did all of the above and still do the fish oils, outside time, Vit. D, etc. and my girls are both on meds for ADD/ADHD and it has made a huge difference for them.

One obvious thing that you could try, is Omega3 / fish oil.

But something else that you could do, is to keep a daily diary? Where you look to identify any variations in behaviour and any common factor?

Which rather assumes that their is some variation?

But if their is an external cause, such as diet? Then a daily diary will help to identify this.

Check out the book "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders" (http://www.amazon.com/Healing-New-Childhood-Epidemics-Groundbreaking/dp/0345494512).

IMO it's one of the best books out there on biomedical interventions (e.g. diet, supplements, etc.) for kids with neuro issues. I picked it up 2.5 years ago when we were in the process of getting a diagnosis for DS (since diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and co-morbid ADHD). For the past two years, DS has been on a diet free of his "reactive" foods (as determined by an IgG blood test), as well as a good supplement regimen. Diet and supplements have done more for him than anything else we've tried. For a comprehensive overview of how to help your DD through diet/supplements, I highly recommend getting this book.

Here is a good article that covers the basics:

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/6552.html

I found research supporting a couple of things recently that I have never heard about before:

I am using pycnogenol with my son. Actually there are published, placebo controlled studies using it for pediatric asthma (at higher doses) as well as the pediatric ADHD studies. I saw more asthma response than ADHD improvement with him but I do think there was improvement. If his baseline was a 10 he might be an 8 now. That said, he's had a rough season of health and sleep has taken a major hit. It's possible the illness and sleep deprivation is affecting him a lot. At any rate, I hoped for more. The studies do look promising. Still, nothing was wow though except the asthma response which was fantastic. http://www.science20...ymptoms_in_kids

I plan to ask if we can try Vayarin. It's a prescription but it's a medical food rather than a stimulant. It's made from a combination of the foods/supplements phosphatidylserine, omega 3 and EPA. So it's entirely safe to try. http://vayarin.com/

I really hope we can avoid typical meds with him as I'm concerned about effects on appetite. My son has major issues in that area and in growth already. But he is struggling horribly. It's a hard choice.

I found research supporting a couple of things recently that I have never heard about before:

I am using pycnogenol with my son. Actually there are published, placebo controlled studies using it for pediatric asthma (at higher doses) as well as the pediatric ADHD studies. I saw more asthma response than ADHD improvement with him but I do think there was improvement. If his baseline was a 10 he might be an 8 now. That said, he's had a rough season of health and sleep has taken a major hit. It's possible the illness and sleep deprivation is affecting him a lot. At any rate, I hoped for more. The studies do look promising. Still, nothing was wow though except the asthma response which was fantastic. http://www.science20...ymptoms_in_kids

Could you describe the asthma improvement? I need to start researching potential natural alternatives to Symbicort (or Advair), if there even is such a thing. Ds's asthma has been much better on Symbicort - has not needed albuterol for exercise in months vs daily before, though he did get pneumonia again - but we seem to be seeing side effects (freaking out/exacerbation of possible sensory issues). I am hoping it is my imagination.

What dose is the pycnogenol and how does he take it? How old?

Could you describe the asthma improvement? I need to start researching potential natural alternatives to Symbicort (or Advair), if there even is such a thing. Ds's asthma has been much better on Symbicort - has not needed albuterol for exercise in months vs daily before, though he did get pneumonia again - but we seem to be seeing side effects (freaking out/exacerbation of possible sensory issues). I am hoping it is my imagination.

What dose is the pycnogenol and how does he take it? How old?

Sure. I'll pm you. There are some studies for asthma use. I'll link those for you and tell you how it helped him.

Thank you so much for all the references. I've started the video a few times Crimson Wife, and unfortunately, keep getting interrupted by my kids, but am already very intrigued in the little I've seen. I'm going to have my husband watch it as well. Long doesn't bother me as long as I'm actively able to pay attention and take notes. I'm finding the hardest part about all this research is the time it takes to do it! I will also check out the book referenced-the hardest part is finding time to read vs. listen/watch, because I do have 4 at home 11-2, but I know I have to make an educated decision and make the time. I appreciate all of the responses! I also do have the GAPS book, and plan on getting more into that as well.

I have watched Sandy Newmark's video and interviews. It's one thing to promote nutrition as PART of a multi-modal approach needed to battle ADHD, but he ignores evidence-based medication as an OPTION that helps most children, while mentioning quack treatments such as homeopathy, herbs, craniosacral therapy, Chinese medicine, and energy medicine. :wacko:

Anyway, he is part of the free webinar series at AdditudeMag.com (January 28). I hope he mentions something new about non-quack alternatives.

We see an integrative neurodevelopmental pediatrician who is a professor at UC San Francisco's medical school. He has a video all about natural treatments for ADHD (be forewarned that it's rather long).

I have watched Sandy Newmark's video and interviews. It's one thing to promote nutrition as PART of a multi-modal approach needed to battle ADHD, but he ignores evidence-based medication as an OPTION that helps most children, while mentioning quack treatments such as homeopathy, herbs, craniosacral therapy, Chinese medicine, and energy medicine. :wacko:

Anyway, he is part of the free webinar series at AdditudeMag.com (January 28). I hope he mentions something new about non-quack alternatives.

Dr. Newmark is not totally anti-pharmaceuticals, at least in the dealings I've had with him personally as physician for my DD. He just feels (as I do) that they are overused and that the proper nutritional support can go a long way in reducing or eliminating the need for pharmaceutical treatment.

In terms of "evidence-based medicine", you have to be very wary of studies funded by drugmakers as they have a major financial conflict of interest. There have been any number of scandals where big pharma has massaged the data in an unethical manner to promote the use of their products and hide nasty side effects. Ritalin kills kids- a study done by the National Institute of Mental Health in 2007 found a 500% increase in sudden death among apparently healthy kids who took it. That's not to say that no one should ever take Ritalin, but it should be a "last resort" after safer natural alternatives have been tried and failed to completely resolve the symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Crimson Wife,

I just want to thank you for your information and link! It was just what I needed to push me to act! I've been wanting to do the dietary changes for awhile now. DS10 is more willing to try as well. I started the fish oil and D3 a week ago, and diet changes today with DS10. He liked the gluten free and dairy free waffles! I will update in about 3 weeks as to what changes we find. Already, after a week of D3 drops and liquid fish oil I think there is a slight positive change in behavior!!!