Menu

cursive teaching....

mlgbug

so I had my heart of HWOT cursive for my DD but, funds are done and nothign is selling. She is getting impatient! I taught her how to write her name in cursive and I can not believe how quick she learned and how beautiful she is writing it! What are some free and easy ways to TEACH cursive???

Well, it's not free, but is relatively cheap, and VERY effective. My dd is using Pentime 3 to learn cursive. She's doing it completely independetly and her writing is beatiful. As for free options. I imagine you can google something like "cursive handwriting practice free" and find some things that would work okay in the mean time.

if your own handwriting is good enough, i would just do a whole lot of copy work...maybe with a whiteboard with lines already on it, you can write out either individual letters, words or sentences for her to copy and practice forming the letters correctly. Maybe a line of "Aa, Bb", etc. (but in cursive, lol)

i'm sure you can find a sample of properly formed cursive letters free online with arrows on how to draw them properly

personally, i am straying away from an official handwriting program (my son isn't quite to cursive, but has mastered printing) and just having him practice proper formation, grip, etc whenever he writes anything in all of his subjects. I'm thinking of starting cursive next year (well Sept. or so) when he's finished most of the first grade books which have a lot of writing practice in them.

Do you have a laminator? Or clear packing tape?

My sons learned best by tracing over letters I either printed from the internet or drew myself and then laminated. They use a dry-erase and with the little one I give him just a few letters each day. I put a star where he should start the stroke.

We learned them in sets: clock letters like d, a, c; hill letters like p, t, i, j; loop letters like b, k, h; you can find info about the order to teach by googling. Here's an example:

http://www.kidzone.ws/cursive/index.htm

I think this is one of the simplest things to teach for free, you can totally do it!

All you need is to write the letters in cursive and sit next to her to show how to write and connect them.

You can search online to see which letters should be grouped according to their formations as a starting point.

Thid is what I am doing with DS. I created some lined sheets on excel (I do not care for the line dotted line line sheets that are found everywhere). I am planning to swing by the library later and grab either a book of poetry or some of those board books that are condensed versions of like Dr. Suess books and use them for copy work.