Menu

Getting Ready for 1st Grade

faiths13

I have a son doing K this year. I have been focusing on the basics - math, phonics, handwriting - but now Im starting to worry its not enough to get him ready for 1st grade. Im having a panic moment as I have one going into 1st and one going into high school, lol. What we are doing is

Phonics: Reading Eggs, Get Ready, Get Set & Go For The Code

Math: we did CLE K math, Kumon numbers to 30 and now we just started on Saxon Early Bird 1A. My ds has gone from barely counting to 5 to counting to 20 since Sept.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears and some misc worksheets, workbooks.

Is this really enough to get 1st grade ready??

I think so! Many programs don't really start until 1st. You should be fine. All I've ever done for K is Math (ABEKA), Phonics (ABEKA) Explode the code. The most inportant thing at this age is that they are learning to read and learning numbers. All else will come with real life learning.

I agree with the pp. You are doing fine! :) Our main focus is math and reading. If the other subjects work their way in, it's purely accidental. LOL When my oldest was in K we did a science experiment to see which toys would float/sink in the bathtub. The kids still talk about the day they were allowed to throw all their toys into the tub! LOL I also like to do a unit on the 5 senses and on basic safety.

I have a son doing K this year. I have been focusing on the basics - math, phonics, handwriting - but now Im starting to worry its not enough to get him ready for 1st grade. Im having a panic moment as I have one going into 1st and one going into high school, lol. What we are doing is

Phonics: Reading Eggs, Get Ready, Get Set & Go For The Code

Math: we did CLE K math, Kumon numbers to 30 and now we just started on Saxon Early Bird 1A. My ds has gone from barely counting to 5 to counting to 20 since Sept.

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears and some misc worksheets, workbooks.

Is this really enough to get 1st grade ready??

You're going to keep homeschooling, yes? Well, then, really and truly, I don't see why you're worrying about not doing enough to "get him ready for 1st grade."

You just move on to the next thing. Really.

Your ds is in a class of...one. You'll be able to infinitely tweak what you're doing when he's six because he's the only one. It's not a big deal. Really.

Yes we are going to (most likely) homeschool next year. I have been pursuing 1st grade currics and some seem like a bit of a jump from what we are doing. I just want to make sure that 1st grade work wont be too hard for him because we havent done enough.

That is a perfect thing about homeschooling: if he's not ready you can slow down. It's the early years. He will be fine. Take it from me the worrywart!!! LOL