Menu

Kindle wireless problems?

joannqn

We have two of the basic Kindles and a Kindle touch, and all of them have trouble connecting and staying connected to our wireless. Basically, we have to download all of our books via USB because they can't stay connected. Thinking it was the Kindle (back when we only had the touch), we even got a replacement from Amazon because of it. But the new one does it too. Do you have the same problem?

DH, who is an IT guy (as in owns an IT business) says it isn't our network. We have desktops, laptops, phones, Wii, and a Roku that all connect to our wireless without any issues. The Kindles, though...well, if you are extremely patient and spend at least half an hour turning it on and off, connecting, reconnecting, putting the password back in, and trying over and over and over, you might get luck and download the book.

Because of this, all of our Kindle purchases get "backed up" on our Kindle account in a permanent holding position. When I call support, they always think it's the backlog that is causing the problem, until they clear the backlog and it still won't download. I've spent about 5 hours on the phone with Amazon over this...they aren't any help...obviously.

So, I guess I'm just wondering...is it just us?

I only have a little experience with the kindle, but our problem was solved when I realized that the default was set to the wrong device, so purchases made via computer weren't being sent to the kindle. I changed the "send to" option, resent, and it worked fine. Other than that, I'm no help.

We have 4 kindle readers. The only time I ever had problems was when I had too many books downloaded at once. I had over 2000 books which created all sorts of gliches including being able to download easily. I now keep about 300 on each machine and no problems.

I have the same problem, only I can never get mine to connect now. I only have one Kindle, and it worked fine for a month or so. But since then, I cannot get it to connect to my wifi, even though we have since connected a laptop, roku, and a couple more computers to it with no problem. I did take the Kindle to a local motel parking lot and it connected to their wifi right away. There must be some problem with the Kindle and certain modems, is all I can figure. Oh, also, when I was looking for info on it, I saw several people with the same problem said they have at least one Apple device connected to their wifi. I do have a mac, so don't know if there is something to that or not.

We can't connect to download or browse. It says it is connecting or is connected and then won't do anything (download or browse) or will drop and try again.

I've spend about 5 hours on the phone with Kindle customer service about this between two calls.

We don't have any Apple products.

We don't have anywhere near that many books. We have had about 12 backed up as pending. Even when they clear the pending, it won't connect to download without a lot of patience and effort.

I have the same problem, only I can never get mine to connect now. I only have one Kindle, and it worked fine for a month or so. But since then, I cannot get it to connect to my wifi, even though we have since connected a laptop, roku, and a couple more computers to it with no problem. I did take the Kindle to a local motel parking lot and it connected to their wifi right away. There must be some problem with the Kindle and certain modems, is all I can figure. Oh, also, when I was looking for info on it, I saw several people with the same problem said they have at least one Apple device connected to their wifi. I do have a mac, so don't know if there is something to that or not.

Reading the replies to DH gave him an idea. He is able to set up our wireless access point to allow guest wireless without encryption. My Kindle now seems to download items perfect. I just bought two free books and they downloaded immediately. I didn't even have to tell it to sync and check for new items; it did it automatically. Apparently, the encryption is the problem.

We have two kindles, one fire and one older one, and we have several apple products. My fire does occasionally switch off the Internet, but it's only happened recently. I though it was weak signal from out router because we have really thick walls.

Reading the replies to DH gave him an idea. He is able to set up our wireless access point to allow guest wireless without encryption. My Kindle now seems to download items perfect. I just bought two free books and they downloaded immediately. I didn't even have to tell it to sync and check for new items; it did it automatically. Apparently, the encryption is the problem.

I would love an "idiot's guide" version of what your dh did. I had someone set my wifi up for me when I bought it, so don't really know much about it at all. But if I could have the steps listed out of where to go and what to do, I am pretty good at following explicit directions. :)

I would love an "idiot's guide" version of what your dh did. I had someone set my wifi up for me when I bought it, so don't really know much about it at all. But if I could have the steps listed out of where to go and what to do, I am pretty good at following explicit directions. :)

The problem is that the steps depend on your actual setup, which router you bought, what's your internet provider (although it has little impact), etc...

He says he'll write some generic directions up and will swear a lot in them.

The problem is that the steps depend on your actual setup, which router you bought, what's your internet provider (although it has little impact), etc...

See, I told you I needed the dummies' version.

He says he'll write some generic directions up and will swear a lot in them.

:lol: Thanks.

You have to see if your wireless access point supports multi-SSID or guest wireless (look up your specific access point to find out) and then set one up without encryption (open) and make sure it is set up to NOT broadcast the SSID. The not broadcasting makes it so it can't be seen and used by others.

VaKim, I pm'd you.

JoAnn's hubby's fix seems to have worked for me! :hurray: Maybe he could pass the info on to Amazon (if he hasn't already), so perhaps they could actually help the people who call with the same problem. Or they could even put something up on the help page.