Menu

Need spelling help, again!

kandty

Well, I'd first want to know what you've been doing, but I'd still probably recommend Spalding...unless you're doing Spalding now and it's making you crazy. :D

You may have recommended to me before. I know I have posted about spelling a couple of times, but I couldn't find my old post to recheck the suggestions.

We started out with a traditional spelling program, AAS, Spelling Plus, Spelling Power, and I'm sure there are more failures that I've forgotten about. Ds complains about them all and I see no results after using them for a good run. Sequential Spelling and just prepared dictation are the only ones that he will do without complaining. We have been using SS since September and still no improvement. We started back to dictation this month. That is the easiest to use and I get no complaints so it will work for the time. I just feel like I need to do more or my confidence is lacking with dictation. Tonight I was looking into Phonetic Zoo from IEW and I had him take the placement test and he didn't pass and it said to use AAS levels 1-3. I've already used those with him! Younger ds did better on the placement test.

Is The Writing Road to Reading the Spalding? Our library has that and I could put a hold on it to check it out. It's checked out so it will be two weeks until I can get my hands on it.

I would consider where the problem lies: Is it a curriculum-hopping issue? A curriculum not fitting issue? A focus issue? A not-being-consistent issue? A learning disability?

My 4th grader is a horrific speller and I'm getting him tested for dyslexia soon. One hallmark is horrific spelling, despite the child's intelligence, sufficient instruction, etc. (My son has a million other red flags, too.) Have you ruled learning problems out? Does your child have a problem with writing or reading as well? SusanBarton.com has some videos and lists of warning signs for dyslexia if that is something you should look into.

You may have recommended to me before. I know I have posted about spelling a couple of times, but I couldn't find my old post to recheck the suggestions.

We started out with a traditional spelling program, AAS, Spelling Plus, Spelling Power, and I'm sure there are more failures that I've forgotten about. Ds complains about them all and I see no results after using them for a good run. Sequential Spelling and just prepared dictation are the only ones that he will do without complaining. We have been using SS since September and still no improvement. We started back to dictation this month. That is the easiest to use and I get no complaints so it will work for the time. I just feel like I need to do more or my confidence is lacking with dictation. Tonight I was looking into Phonetic Zoo from IEW and I had him take the placement test and he didn't pass and it said to use AAS levels 1-3. I've already used those with him! Younger ds did better on the placement test.

Is The Writing Road to Reading the Spalding? Our library has that and I could put a hold on it to check it out. It's checked out so it will be two weeks until I can get my hands on it.

The Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method. :-)

And so, yes, based on what you've written, I'd recommend Spalding.

I have a fifth grade ds(11) who struggles with spelling. I decided last month that I would stop history and science and do an intense study of phonics. I'm actually hoping it will only take three weeks. I'm using Phonics Road level one. WRTR (Spalding) would work just fine, but I need the teacher instruction. That's just me. Once we get through all the spelling lists in level one, I'll continue with the flashcards and apply what we have learned to their spelling words in Building Spelling Skills. I will do PR level 2 in the summer and re-evaluate then.

I'm also using this with dd9. She is a better speller, but it can't hurt for them both to do PR, so they can re-teach each other the spelling rule tunes as needed.