Menu

Type A flu - when can we expect to feel better??

Hilltop

My dh was diagnosed with the flu last Friday. We both came down with it the same day with the same symptoms... fever/chills (although our fever wasn't high), terribly sore throat, congestion, cough, extreme body aches, and extreme fatigue. We are going on day 7 now, and although some of our symptoms have improved, we still feel awful.

If you've had the flu this season, when did you start to feel normal again?

FWIW, we're drinking lots and lots of water, taking vitamin D3, and resting as much as possible. I'm also 8 weeks pregnant, so I realize that it may take me longer to recover.

For me the fever/chills/headache only lasted maybe a day or day and a half. The sore throat for the better part of a week. I'm still dealing a touch with the cough after two weeks. I suppose the extreme fatigue is mixed in with the pregnancy symptoms—that first trimester always knocked me out. Hope you feel better soon!! :grouphug:

Erica in OR

holy cow, you guys are scaring me! ds 9 was coughing tuesday and vomited in the afternoon, i thought from coughing, but then seemed sick at bedtime, and woke up vomiting with fever. he tested postiive for strep and flu and vomited his first dose of abx yesterday. He is remarkably better already, speaking, sitting up, walking around - even joined us for dinner. hubby was also sick so he went in and got dx'd with flu. ds 16 and i have just felt like we have a cold. maybe we somehow got a milder strain?

holy cow, you guys are scaring me! ds 9 was coughing tuesday and vomited in the afternoon, i thought from coughing, but then seemed sick at bedtime, and woke up vomiting with fever. he tested postiive for strep and flu and vomited his first dose of abx yesterday. He is remarkably better already, speaking, sitting up, walking around - even joined us for dinner. hubby was also sick so he went in and got dx'd with flu. ds 16 and i have just felt like we have a cold. maybe we somehow got a milder strain?

Did your ds and dh get diagnosed with type A flu? I would think if you don't have I've-been-hit-by-a-truck-achiness, you may not have it.

I will say that our entire family got it ... but 2 of my kids had it much more mildly than the rest of us. My 8 yr old was barely sick other than a mild fever, stomach ache and a cough that lasted 10 days-2 weeks ... but he seemed ok compared to the rest of us who looked and felt terrible for a long time. DH and I had it very bad ... my 5 yr old got it pretty bad with bronchitis ... my other 2 kids were vomiting a lot with it and coughing and had fevers. The baby got it very mildly which I believe was due to me breastfeeding her while I was sick with it. Our very first symptoms were dry cough, stiff joints, back ache followed hours later by a high fever (with chills for me and DH but not for kids ... just high fever) ... and the fever lasted several days along with nausea and then my lungs got infected and I had to go on tons of medicine to counteract the wheezing. My husband didn't have that so just had the dry cough, nausea, body aches, chills and fever.

My sister (who happens to live near VA, which I saw in your sig line) and her whole family had the flu recently and had similar symptoms to what you described ... it seemed more mild than what my family went through. She also said she felt like she had a cold while her kids had the fever, cough, etc. and she recovered very quickly. I don't know if there are multiple strains or if some people get it more mildly ... only one of mine (other than my baby who was bfing) did seem to have a more mild case (he is 8yrs old) and I wondered if somehow he had been exposed to it years ago. I'm not sure.

My sister (who happens to live near VA, which I saw in your sig line) and her whole family had the flu recently and had similar symptoms to what you described ... it seemed more mild than what my family went through. She also said she felt like she had a cold while her kids had the fever, cough, etc. and she recovered very quickly. I don't know if there are multiple strains or if some people get it more mildly ... only one of mine (other than my baby who was bfing) did seem to have a more mild case (he is 8yrs old) and I wondered if somehow he had been exposed to it years ago. I'm not sure.

Thanks, thats interesting! ds did get tested for A and B and was positive for A. Dh doesnt know. Ds 9 is SO much better this evening! I read three chapters of the Deltora Shadowlands book at bedtime! Maybe there's a mild version going around VA. I also sometimes feel like, after so many years of being a mom, including 10 years of kids in public schools, my immune system just 'knows' all the likely candidates and handles them more adeptly now. The first 2 years DH was with us (he is not the father of my older kids) he was on-the-floor sick several times, having sworn he hadnt used a sick day in the previous 5 years. Now he usually just feels a bit under the weather but can still go to work. Not today, though. But still, not like 7 years ago - he couldnt breath and was in and out of consciousness.

We had the exact same symptoms. We never went to the doctor for it.

I was the only one who escaped without the terrible aches, fever, & vomiting.

I have been taking 5000 IU Vitamin D3 a day & drinking elderberry syrup 3 times a day.

My husband got it first and is on day 9. He is still struggling with congestion & fatigue & aches.

My 2 year-old is on day 8 and still has a runny nose, cough, & grumpiness.

My 6 year-old is on day 5 and has a terrible barky cough.

My 8 and 9 year-olds are on day 3 and just over their fevers. Their coughs aren't too bad.

I have the kids taking a probiotic, 1000-2000 D3 a day, & vitamin C.