Menu

Sewists and quilters--what kind of iron do you use?

Jane in NC

My eight or ten year old Rowenta gave up the ghost this morning (shooting a small blue spark out from the base near the cord.) I have heard that Rowenta irons have gone downhill in the last few years. Any recommendations for someone who uses her iron a fair amount in craft projects and in ironing dress shirts, etc.? I prefer steel plates to non-stick.

I just use a Sunbeam. I use it on full blast steam. It would be lovely to have something heavier, but this gets the job done and is light weight enough for my kids to obey the dictum "Thou shalt steam the snot out of thy sewing projects; yea, verily, even unto 3 times per seam (closed, inside open, outside open) shalt thou iron each and every seam."

I have gone thru at least 4 Rowentas in the past decade. They always start to leak eventually. The last one stopped heating. It was from Costco so I returned it and bought whatever they had on the shelf that day intending to do some research and replace it. It works fine. It's lighter weight than the Rowenta.

Look for something with lots of holes in the soleplate.

This is what I have, recommended by my home-dec-for-business neighbor. Unlimited steam, meant to be used for hours on end. I had dh put a hook in the ceiling to hold the water container.

ETA Here is another one with the same idea, but less $. I haven't used it myself.

Oh my goodness, that is one serious iron! Looks fantastic, but if I brought that into my house, dh might stop taking his dress shirts to the cleaners and leave 'em for me. :rofl: