Menu

Middle School Science: Apologia or ?

I have been racking my brain to figure out what my daughter should do for science next year. She is in 6th grade currently. The last several years we have done the Exploring Creation series. We enjoy that and do it all together with my daughter doing some additional work on her own since she is older.

I'm thinking that she really should move into her own science next year, but I can't figure out what to do. Ideally, she would just move on to General Science with Apologia. The problem is that I'm not certain she could handle it. The first chapter seems like a big jump from where she is currently. It seems that there are eight sections separated by the On Your Own questions. To me, that would be 8 days of work. We generally alot 4-5 days for science every 2 weeks and spend about 5 hours total. It seems like General Science will need double that time. The 2nd day in particular of that chapter seems especially long with the 2 experiments... How much time is required for this program?

Also, I really need her to be able to work as independantly as possible. Her little brother will need me, AND we will have a young toddler next year. She's accustomed to doing a lot of her work on her own this year, so that's not a problem, but she needs to be able to understand what she is doing. It doesn't matter so much to me where she "should" be. It matters to me that she is learning. Having fun is a bonus, but it's not my primary concern any more.

Can anyone give me more information about General Science or tell me about another program that might fit our needs? I prefer a program with a Christian perspective, but would consider a secular one if it didn't go directly against what we believe.

For independent studies, you could look at BJU online/dvds or Switched on Schoolhouse from Alpha Omega. BJU is challenging, so you might consider starting with their 6th grade science in 7th grade before using one of their middle school courses. That would help her get used to testing over textbook material and such with smaller chunks of it to study. My dd used the Life science course in 8th grade. The 6th grade course and life science are both taught by Mrs. Vick who is an awesome teacher in their program.

We did General Science about 2 yrears ago. We really liked it but it did take daily work for us. We did a section every day or up to an experiment. They also completed the study guide as we went along. Instead of all at once. There is a student notebook that can go with the course that looks lovely. The notetaking requirements were the hardest part of the course for my kids and the notebook looks like it would help with that.

I really appreciate the ideas, ladies. I've taken a look at all the suggestions, and I discovered some things I hadn't heard of before. I really like the look of NOEO science. Elemental science also looks very similar, but with more 'textbook-like' parts to it such as comprehension questions, vocabulary, and writing. I liked the suggestion for Rainbow Science as well. With all three of these, I'm wondering how much involvement is required on my part. Of course, it's possible that if we went with something very hands-on like these programs, I could still keep my two yahoos together as they are now for science- just requiring less of my son and finding him a more appropriate book where needed. Has anyone used these programs that can shed some light on how they work for your family. Also, how common is it to find these for sale used or at a discount. Cha ching! $$

In a completely different 'type' of science than the above programs, I'm also considering the Christian Kids Explore series. I'm almost certain my son could follow along fine in that. It seems very open and go, but it's hard to tell for sure when you can't see it in person. It's also a LOT less expensive than the other science programs I am considering... And then there's still Apologia. i don't know that I have ever had this much trouble deciding on science. Bleh!

Your dd sounds like mine. She has just finished 6th grade and has been doing Apologia Elementary Astronomy with her younger brother and sister. Her older siblings all went to Apologia General Science in 7th grade, but I'm not sure that this dd would handle it. Also, a couple of my older dd's have really disliked Apologia Science and has aided in their supposed 'distate' of science.

Soooo.... I have decided that dd12 who is about to start 7th grade is going to do Abeka Science 7 this coming year. I know it probably is not a favorite here, but it is colorful, looks like it covers some interesting topics, is self explanatory so she can work independently, and has plenty of activities. You can see samples here:

http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescriptionPreview.aspx?sbn=115509

Just another option.

My dd is doing Gen Science this year in 7th grade. it is slow moving,but it's fine for her. She does it mostly on her own. i do help her gather up her supplies for experiments. Her younger sister does the experiments with her and has to write a lab report and draw a picture. There are lesson plans for GS, including Donna Young's. I think we're using one that has 'common core' in the title.

DS did Rainbow. GS would have been way too wordy for him. Rainbow was completely independent.

Laura

I'm using NOEO Chemistry II this year for 6th grade and I have not been impressed. It did come with some supplies, but for most experiments I have to hunt for the items to use. I'm thinking about using Rainbow for 7th and 8th grade. I like that it comes with everything I need and can be used independently. I feel your pain. I've had the worse luck with science this year.

I'm using NOEO Chemistry II this year for 6th grade and I have not been impressed. It did come with some supplies, but for most experiments I have to hunt for the items to use. I'm thinking about using Rainbow for 7th and 8th grade. I like that it comes with everything I need and can be used independently. I feel your pain. I've had the worse luck with science this year.

I thought that NOEO came with all those Young Scientist Club kits. Do they not include all the materials for the experiments? If not, that's definitely something to consider. I don't want to have to hunt dow supplies if I *thought* they were included. Yikes!

Guest sophiewise

I purchased the General Science book for my 7th grade dd and thought that it looked very challenging, especially the first chapter. I signed her up for a free class online that goes along with it. The teacher said they didn't even have to read the chapter if they wanted to just watch the class. The experiments are optional for extra credit. Anyways, my daughter loves it. I don't know how to put up a link from my new phone, but it was something like 'free virtual homeschooling group'. They only let so many in the class, so that would really be the only negative. I think Currclick offers a class too, but it's not free.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AprilinSC

Yes, Noeo comes with the Young Scientist kits. We purchased the Physics II and we were having to hunt down lots of "common household items". You spend a couple of weeks using the Gizmos and Gadgets books and NONE of the supplies for it are included with the kit. :( I was having to ask the husband for help gathering the items and setting up the experiments, things like drilling a hole in the bottom of the soup can. It is a great program but its not completely open and go like I thought it would be.

Apologia is supposed to be coming out with their chem and physics book this Spring. It is supposed to be the hardest of the elementary series. What if she did it independently using the schedule in the front of the notebook? If it's more difficult than the anatomy book, it'll be appropriate for middle school. We have done the logic stage of the elemental science this year and we love it, but we also like the apologia books with notebooks.