Menu

Columbus, OH---anyone live in this area?

Ottakee

I am planning on taking my girls to Equine Affaire in Columbus OH April 11-14 and need hotel help. The hotels right by the expo are $169/night and not the nicest places. I would like something close and an easy drive but in a SAFE area. An indoor pool would be nice and some sort of breakfast would be REALLY nice. Any ideas for me within a 15 minute or so drive?

The youngest has been waiting for years until she was 16 and could go with me (just an age we set as it is open to all ages). I just don't want to break the bank over this.

How much farther? We did stay once at the Dublin/Getty??? area and that was OK for traffic. The expo is just off the expressway but I don't like traffic. If it wasn't so darn expensive we would stay across the road and just walk back and forth.

I live in the Cleveland area, but I lived in Columbus for 2 years and have a sister that lives near there now. I think to get a better price, you're going to have to stay a little farther away from downtown. Anywhere off of I-71 or I-270 to the north of the city should be okay. Lots of choices on Dublin-Granville Road. Or a little farther away on Polaris Parkway. Worthington and Westerville are good areas. You could look at places around Easton Town Center and see if they are more reasonably priced, although they probably aren't.

Do not stay right off of I-71 and Dublin Granville Rd. That area has declined in recent years. Stay at Polaris, or Worthington but off of 1-270. Dublin, OH would also be good. Easton is good but further away. From any of those locales the drive will be 15 -20 minutes in non peak times but in 1/2 hr. I don't live in Columbus any more but still have family there that we visit frequently.

I live in the Cleveland area, but I lived in Columbus for 2 years and have a sister that lives near there now. I think to get a better price, you're going to have to stay a little farther away from downtown. Anywhere off of I-71 or I-270 to the north of the city should be okay. Lots of choices on Dublin-Granville Road. Or a little farther away on Polaris Parkway. Worthington and Westerville are good areas. You could look at places around Easton Town Center and see if they are more reasonably priced, although they probably aren't.

I lived in Columbus for 10 years and I agree with this. Try Westerville, Worthington, Dublin, or the Polaris area. Polaris has great shopping, if that helps!

O, sent you a pm.

Yes, Polaris is good, but "may" be a bit pricey. Check around. There are good and not so good areas to Westerville and Worthington just as there are good areas to both. Worthington is "mostly" a very well off neighborhood - so it may be pricey as well.

Dublin (suburfb) is good and I agree that "most" parts of Dublin Granville Rd/Rt. 161 are not desirable. Dublin Granville towards Dublin, the city, will be fine though.

Red Roof Inn on Olentangy River Rd

Holiday Inn Express (101) - near university, but in solid area

Comfort Suites/Hilliard (90)

Tuttle Crossing/rt 270 - very good area

Dublin (city) off of 270 - excellent area

My Dad moved out of Columbus after 85 years. I found myself in Cols and needed a hotel. DD and I stayed at Staybridge (Dublin) and it was fabulous! Again, there WILL be traffic so I'd double your time to get somewhere especially since you don't know the area and due to traffic. FWIW, Staybridge was very quiet on top of safe!

BTW, DD and I were in Frankenmuth a couple of weeks ago. DH and I used to live in MI and we always enjoyed the area, but it was DD"s first time!!!

Do not stay right off of I-71 and Dublin Granville Rd. That area has declined in recent years. Stay at Polaris, or Worthington but off of 1-270. Dublin, OH would also be good. Easton is good but further away. From any of those locales the drive will be 15 -20 minutes in non peak times but in 1/2 hr. I don't live in Columbus any more but still have family there that we visit frequently.

Yeah, the area around 71 at Rte. 161 (Dublin-Granville road) has declined a bit, but if you go toward Sawmill on 270 W. toward Sawmill Road, near Sawmill and Rte. 161 are several hotels that would be fine.

Thanks. Now I have some places to look. Then we have to decide how long to stay. The Expo is Thursday-Sunday but with a 6 hour drive I would like to drive down Wednesday and then leave Sunday early afternoon.

My girls have to figure out if this is worth it to them or if they would rather do something else for that amount of money.

Equine Affaire is WONDERFUL but pricey with gas, hotel, tickets, food, etc.

Yeah, the area around 71 at Rte. 161 (Dublin-Granville road) has declined a bit, but if you go toward Sawmill on 270 W. toward Sawmill Road, near Sawmill and Rte. 161 are several hotels that would be fine.

270/161 will be fine (Dublin)

The expo is at the Ohio State Fairgrounds, which is just off I-71. Dublin would not be an easy drive, but the Worthington hotels at Rt.23/Crosswoods and I-71/Polaris Parkway are safe and fairly close. Do not stay off of I-71 any closer than 270 to the north and downtown business hotels to the south. While that corridor certainly has some safe places, you need to know what you're doing with regard to hotels. In particular, some of the Dublin-Granville/I-71 hotels have been the site of drug trade in recent years, with several killings occurring. Likewise, avoid Morse Rd (my office is there)--it's fine during the day, but the hotels would not be a place to stay with your dd. Campus area hotels in the High Street area would also be fine; those that are on Olentangy River Road will have a difficult crosstown drive to get to I-71.

Edited to add: Take a look at this Worthington Holiday Inn: It's around $100 per night. The residential neighborhood is great with easy and close freeway access. (Panera Bread and Kroger across the street). I know the property well from the outside, and it looks well maintained (have never seen the rooms--I leave that up to you!). It is an older hotel and a bit off the beaten path, so I suspect that affects the price.

Have fun!

On our last 2 trips to the Columbus area we stayed at the Chase Suite Hotel in Dublin. It had a few negative reviews, but the price was extremely reasonable for a 1 bedroom suite. We found it to be slightly dated but very comfortable and clean. There are many restaurants and stores in the area, and a movie theater across the street if I remember correctly. The trip downtown was easy although the traffic was heavy at times. There is also a Staybridge Suites in Dublin. We haven't stayed there yet but will probably give it a try on our next trip. I have stayed in other Staybridge Suites and have found them to be decent.

Guest Micmoore

I would try a Drury Inn. We have one in Grove City. They have a nice heated pool which the kids can swim "under the wall" and be inside or outside even during the winter (my kids love this). They have a hot breakfast and a hot meal in the evenings (last time I was there they had a baked potato and taco bar as well as hot dogs, fruit and salad), plus popcorn and beverages in the lobby at all times. We travel a lot for sports and always try and stay at a Drury if we are not connected to the convention center where they compete. The price is usually pretty affordable. Ask if they have specials for your event, AAA or any coupons. I did see 15% off on their website.

Are all of the Drury Inns in safe places? Looks like there is one down town, one in Grove City and one north west (maybe near the airport)?

The Holiday Inn in Worthington is $79/night but no free breakfast.

If I can get the Drury Inn for a reasonable rate they include breakfast and supper and popcorn and pop for snacks so that would be a huge help.......as well as added convenience. We are not fussy eaters or don't have dietary restrictions so whatever they offer we would eat.