Menu

All About Spelling???

I just bought all four levels of All About Spelling:001_huh: for my dc. I tried the Spawlding (sorry if I spelled it wrong) method years ago and couldn't figure it out, so when this was suggested I took a peek (yikes)

Looking for some reviews from those of you that have used it. I'm really hoping this will work for my ds who is 10yrs but spells at a 1st grade level. I will also use it with three others this Fall.

Thanks!

My 10 yo ds has been using AAS since Aug 07. We started with level 1 and quickly went through 1, 2 and 1/2 of level 3. His Standardized test scores improved 2 grade levels this year.

I have tried many, many, many spelling programs. You name the popular ones out there- I have tried them with him. You might have heard "3 times a charm" - the third program you try is the winner. Well, we are way past 3 on spelling programs.... AAS is a winner for us.

Do not worry about a ten year old going through the lower levels. They are building a solid foundation for spelling.

is improving QUICKLY) a terrible speller. We went through levels 1 & 2 quickly, and are almost done with 3. It's the only program that has worked for him. Everything else we tried would not "stick" with him. He would ace the spelling tests, but it never carried through on his other work.

It took a while to "get" how to do the program. Now that we are using it, I think I understand it better.

Good luck. Hope you have some success!

Hot Lava Mama

Hi Linda!!

I started both of my kids on level 2 this spring & my son (11) says it's the most effective thing we've ever done for spelling & that he definitely wants to continue with it. Both kids love it. Did you get the magnets & a magnet whiteboard? The magnets really make the program for us!

I started out doing both kids together but am going to separate them this fall as my son can move ahead faster I think. I only had levels 2 & 3, and I just bought 4 as I saw it's on sale. Anyway, I think it's really going to help us!

Let me know if you have any specific questions, be happy to answer! I don't know if you tried to pm me on HSL, I can't get the site to come up tonight? I was out of town earlier this week, but I get there at least a few times a week normally.

God bless, Merry :-)

I started using AAS last Novemeber with my 8yo twins and in the spring w/my 6dd. The 8yo twins moved through the first book quickly and are now on the 2nd book. We get through 2 steps per week so it can go pretty quickly. I have been very pleased with the ease of the lessons and how much my kids are learning and enjoy the lessons! AAS is my favorite new resource from last year.

Blessings,

Hi Linda!!

I started both of my kids on level 2 this spring & my son (11) says it's the most effective thing we've ever done for spelling & that he definitely wants to continue with it. Both kids love it. Did you get the magnets & a magnet whiteboard? The magnets really make the program for us!

I started out doing both kids together but am going to separate them this fall as my son can move ahead faster I think. I only had levels 2 & 3, and I just bought 4 as I saw it's on sale. Anyway, I think it's really going to help us!

Let me know if you have any specific questions, be happy to answer! I don't know if you tried to pm me on HSL, I can't get the site to come up tonight? I was out of town earlier this week, but I get there at least a few times a week normally.

Thanks Merry, that's great to hear how your son like it. I haven't been to the HSL yet.

I'm wondering about the magnet boards. They look big and teaching four kiddos. Yikes! Hopefully I don't need a magnet board for each one:001_huh:

Thanks Merry, that's great to hear how your son like it. I haven't been to the HSL yet.

I'm wondering about the magnet boards. They look big and teaching four kiddos. Yikes! Hopefully I don't need a magnet board for each one:001_huh:

I think you'd be fine with one board & one set of tiles (or get a spare set of tiles if you think some will get lost, but we haven't had that problem with the magnets). The boards ARE large, but by the time you get all the extras on (and in future ones you add suffixes etc...), it's really handy to be able to set it up & leave it. But you could start by using your refrigerator, a metal door, or a cookie sheet & see how you like it.

When I've done 2 kids together, they have room to sit on either side of the board & grab tiles at the same time--if your kids are pretty good at cooperating, that can work out (we have the occasional fuss but mostly it works!).

Thanks! I'll ask her about it. I need to stop being an impulsive buyer:001_huh:

Well your impulsive and I spend 6 months debating things. You spend money, I spend time. The two of us put together would have the perfect balance. ;)

Heather

Well your impulsive and I spend 6 months debating things. You spend money, I spend time. The two of us put together would have the perfect balance. ;)

Heather

Today I'm giving my dh my debit card:001_unsure: I have everything I need for this school year and I need to save the money for another year now. I'm only going to ask for it if I need to replace a consumable workbook;)

My dh is more like you I think ;). Taking him to buy a coffee pot, oh my goodness:lol:. We spend more on the gas going from Target, JC Penny etc. all that and we ended up getting one from Overstock:D.

Blessings,

Still pretty new at this...may I ask what SL and HSL are? Are they baords? I'm completely lost if there's an abbreviation mentioned that isn't on the "abbreviation sticky". Thanks

SL=Sonlight

HSL=HomeSchool Library there is also The Homeschool Lounge that might start confusing people, unless their is a difference that I don't know about:glare:

Heather was talking about The Homeschool Library though:D

I just wanted to pop in and say that we love AAS here. My 9yo ds finished levels 1 and 2 this year and is moving on to 3. He has improved so much. The program is very scripted and reminds me a little of FLL. BTW my spelling has improved a ton too - there's a lot of stuff that I never knew and would never have been able to teach with another program.

SL=Sonlight

HSL=Home School Library there is also The Homeschool Lounge that might start confusing people, unless their is a difference that I don't know about:glare:

Heather was talking about The Homeschool Library though:D

Goodness! there is another THL? Well that explains why Susan is suddenly using the abbreviation THSL, though I like HSL because it is shorter. ;)

Heather

Goodness! there is another THL? Well that explains why Susan is suddenly using the abbreviation THSL, though I like HSL because it is shorter. ;)

Heather

I know, it's going to get confusing with these two. So if we are talking about The Homeschool Library we should us THSL? Sounds good. Susan should put a sticky post, so people will know there are two HSL out there.

My ds9 and I are working through Level 1 at lightening speed. He likes the program. The combination of manipulating the letters and using the CD to listen to the correct sounds is making a big difference. He has been in private and public school, and thinks he is a terrible speller. This program is improving his confidence.

I just ordered the rest of the Levels. I forgot to buy the magnets :crying: so I guess I'll have to go to the office supply store and buy a magnet sheet and cut them myself.

My 10 ds is a horrible speller at a high 1st grade level. I called All About Spelling and they said to start at level one. Even with my 8yr. natural speller he said to start with level 1. The levels are not grade levels.

So, I'm starting my 6, 7, 8 & 10yr olds all at level 1 and have the older ones move more quickly.

HTH,

What about the cards and the CD -do I need to order these too?

Honestly I think I would like Sequential Spelling better- I realy dont want to know the rules -but Ds is very bright and wants to know the why to everything -so it seems like this may be better for him (maybe some will rub off on me too)

What about the cards and the CD -do I need to order these too?

Honestly I think I would like Sequential Spelling better- I realy dont want to know the rules -but Ds is very bright and wants to know the why to everything -so it seems like this may be better for him (maybe some will rub off on me too)

I ordered the cd-rom but I don't think you have to have it. Check the online sample to see if you really want it.

I am a horrible speller and I saw a gap in my older boys in this area.

I now am homeschooling DS10- who is an average speller for his age -would you still start at level 1?

When I spoke to the person at AAS, they did say that my natural speller would probably move through level one faster. Just keep this in mind because you might want to order level 2, since it is on sale right now.

The only place I have found to buy ASS is : http://www.all-about-spelling.com/spelling-products.html

I did not see level 2 on sale. Is there somewhere else to purchase?

Hmmm.....when I ordered before the 28th of this month (sorry, I didn't realize it's past the 28th:tongue_smilie:) but anyway even though I purchased everything before the sale ended the prices are still the same :glare:. That's weird. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow:confused:

My 10 ds is a horrible speller at a high 1st grade level. I called All About Spelling and they said to start at level one. Even with my 8yr. natural speller he said to start with level 1. The levels are not grade levels.

So, I'm starting my 6, 7, 8 & 10yr olds all at level 1 and have the older ones move more quickly.

HTH,

Thank you.

Level is not grade.

I am so excited to be getting mine!