Menu

Vitamix

Coffeemama

My DH gave me a Vitamix for Christmas! So far I've made lots of different smoothies and tonight I made a delicious salsa. We are trying to eat healthier by using whole foods as much as possible.

Do any of you have a favorite recipe I can try making in my new toy?

Hummus Recipe

2 cups dried chickpeas (I cook the whole bag)

6 cups water

3 ½ teaspoons salt (divided)

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 ½ tablespoons chopped garlic

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

¼ cup tahini

1-2 tablespoons ground cumin

pinch of cayenne (optional)

Wash the chickpeas, soak overnight, and cook in the water until tender (about 90 minutes)

Add 3 teaspoons of salt and cook 20-30 minutes more.  When they are VERY soft, drain and reserve the cooking water.  Let chickpeas cool.

In a food processor, blender, or with a potato masher, combined cooled chickpeas with a cup of the cooking water, remaining salt, and remaining ingredients.  Blend or mash until smooth.  Adjust seasonings to taste.

That’s the base recipe.  I usually end up adding a bit more cumin and tahini (and salt, and cayenne . . . .)  I also reserve some of the chickpeas and mix them in at the end because I like the texture.  A blender will give you the smoothest hummus, but plan to add a bit more water.

Thank you all for theses wonderful suggestions! Lots of new things to try. I think I'll start with the cream of broccoli soup. My kids have never tried hummus, but they've been pretty open to trying new smoothie creations, I hope I can convince them to try it.