Menu

Can anyone share some favorite meatless, dairy-free, and hopefully (but not necessarily) gluten-free recipes?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm going to take the kids dairy free for at least a few weeks in January, and I need to have a meal plan in place or we won't make it! I also need to cut out some of the meat we're eating for both health and budget reasons. Ideally, I'm looking for recipes that are gluten-free, or for which I can sub out the gluten-containing ingredients (e.g., I can get yummy quinoa pasta and can sub cornstarch for flour as a thickener).

I would love lentil and bean recipes especially, since I'm trying to include more of those, but I'll take anything you want to offer. Thank you!

This is my favourite recipe blog for gluten-free, dairy-free and often meat-free meals:

http://www.nourishingmeals.com

Her kitcheree recipe is full of flavour:

http://www.nourishin...-kitcheree.html

This blog is awesome!!! I can already see several recipes I'll be pulling into my Plan to Eat database for the meal plan for the next few weeks. We're having dinner with friends on New Year's Eve and making Quiver's cinnamon roll for dessert...and then we're done with dairy for at least two weeks. It's going to be painful, but some of those yummy recipes will make it much easier. The cranberry upside down cake?! Yum.

Thank you so much!

Our favourite lentils: saute onions and garlic in oil and stir in a teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander. Add red lentils and water. Cook until soft, then add salt/vegetable broth powder. Season to taste. Serve with brown rice and a fresh green veggie.

I also like red lentils made in a more Western way, using a good home made stock/broth and mixed mediterranean herbs.

Laura

I don't have a recipe for it, but I make a mock shepherd's pie with lentils that we really enjoy around here. I cook lentils in veg broth with plenty of sauteed onion and garlic and whatever veggies I feel like throwing in/have on hand. I season with a little thyme and sage, usually. When I'm satisfied with the lentils (and I let them absorb most all of the broth before moving on), I throw them in a small casserole dish, add some simple mashed potatoes to the top, and bake till the potatoes get a little golden on top. I always serve with plenty of gravy...road's end makes inexpensive, gluten free/vegan packet gravy that I keep on hand for quick meals, but you could always make your own.

Make a LOT of hummus or falafel.

Here's my easy Mulligatawny Soup recipe. Use fresh ginger and garlic if you have it . . . or not. It's still good.

2 cups red lentils

5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)

5 cups water

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 tablespoons salt

2 medium potatoes (pared and cut up)

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons ground cumin

2 tablespoons ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Lemon juice

plain yogurt

Put lentils, water, 2 tablespoons of salt, and broth in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes. Remove from pot and puree mixture in blender. To the pot, add the olive oil and garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and cayenne (I put all of the spices together in bowl so that I can add them at once.) Toast the spices in the heated olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Keep them moving and don't let them scorch or your soup will be bitter. Return the pureed soup to the pot and mix well with the spices. Simmer for about 5 minutes more. Add water to thin if necessary, or simmer longer to thicken.

Serve soup with a dollop of yogurt and a splash of lemon juice.

Enjoy :-)

African peanut stew and cashew lentil loaf, both from moosewood. The loaf has eggs, not sure if that is okay. We also make a mock shepards pie with Smartground, you'll find that by tofu in the produce section. Amy's has some good rice ch and mac that is lactose free. We do use mock cheese. Our pediatrician rec the soymilk that is enriched and plain. We use WestSoy organic plain plus. it doesn't need refrig. until open. It also has the needed nutrients with lower sugar.

African peanut stew and cashew lentil loaf, both from moosewood. The loaf has eggs, not sure if that is okay. We also make a mock shepards pie with Smartground, you'll find that by tofu in the produce section. Amy's has some good rice ch and mac that is lactose free. We do use mock cheese. Our pediatrician rec the soymilk that is enriched and plain. We use WestSoy organic plain plus. it doesn't need refrig. until open. It also has the needed nutrients with lower sugar.

Just an FYI to the OP, if you don't already know: Smartground isn't gluten free--it has wheat-containing soy sauce, at least. Not sure if it has wheat gluten, but a lot of prepared mock meats do. Actually, I've never found a gluten-free mock meat. But lentils work pretty well in place of the ground beef analogs. Sometimes tempeh works, depends on what you're using it for.

Cashew lentil loaf sounds awesome...I'm going to have to dig up that recipe myself! The African peanut stew from moosewood is a good one, though I'm the only one in the family who will eat it so I never make it. :glare:

We can eat fish (and corn). We're not actually vegetarians; I'm mainly just looking for ways to include some meatless meals in our repertoire for both financial and health issue reasons. I actually feel best when eating mainly meat/fish/chicken and vegetables, but my kidney-stone producing kidneys disagree :glare: So fish tacos would be great. I've eaten them (and loved them) at restaurants, though I've never made them before! Do you fry the fish or do something else to it?

Also, I'm not terribly worried about gluten. That's my issue, and it's minor compared to the rest. I can actually eat small amounts each day, but I try not to. However, I'm not too keen on soy because it's given me some digestive issues in the past, so I'm going to try to avoid it unless it's in the form of eda mame :drool5:

Thank you everyone! I'm still :lurk5:

I have a gf df version of my eBook Simplified Dinners. It's soy-free also, and includes meat-free options. It doesn't require any fancy specialty ingredients or products. Right now I have a discount code running: holidays will get you $3 off through this week. All the recipes in it use only items from the basic pantry list, which you can see in the free sample. And the free sample includes one page of recipes as well.

I also have a post with a hummus recipe without tahini and a post on cooking your own dry beans and a super-simple, cheap bean soup.

Hope that helps!

So fish tacos would be great. I've eaten them (and loved them) at restaurants, though I've never made them before! Do you fry the fish or do something else to it?

Try it different ways and see how your family likes it best. I've broiled, boiled, and fried (without batter). Boiled fish falls apart too easily. We usually broil because it's fast. Throw on any seasoning you'd like and broil or fry.