Menu

A mostly normal Christmas with my Mom

Night Elf

Every year my mom insists on bringing actual gifts for the individual members of my family. She normally asks for suggestions but then ends up buying way off the wall things. One year she got matching fleece jackets for me and my two daughters. They were mortified at having to wear the same clothing as me and each other. On year she got me a giant cricket statue holding a parasol. One year she got me a giant jar of peanuts and a whole pineapple. She tries to buy clothes for the kids that are crazy patterned and never fit anyway.

I really do believe every single gift was thoughtful and well intentioned but it's become a joke to get together with her because we're excited about what kind of crazy things she'll bring next. Well, this year she actually listened to my suggestions. It blew me away. She got itunes cards for the kids which they will be using asap. Along with that, she got the girls a pair of fuzzy warm socks, and my son a funny M&M character dressed up like a nutcracker that dispenses M&Ms. She got my DH a pair of running pants that are perfect except they need to be hemmed. And she got me a gorgeous green sweater that fits perfectly.

We got her a $60 gift card to a great restaurant which will provide at least 3 meals and she was squealing with delight. I served danish, creme cake, coffee, and sweet tea. It was just a very pleasant afternoon. It was weird to see my mom more mellow than usual. So afterwards, because everything was so normal, I started worrying that something was wrong. It's not a very Christmasy feeling. But I'll be calling her today and thanking her for a lovely afternoon.

I would think he would like a giant metal chicken friend named Beyonce.

I would not be a happy camper if my mom heard the giant chicken story. Thankfully the cricket is only 2 ft high. Oh my, it might be a grasshopper! I haven't even looked at it in a few years. It lives on a very high shelf in my living room and I never look up there. :lol: