Menu

Needing an "Open and Go" curriculum

This Mama Teaches

Preschool and kindergarten. Preferably Christian based but not absolute. My kindergartner loves to read, write, spell, he is a sponge. My preschooler loves alphabet, numbers and shapes. I love literature based programs. Basically, I just want something that says "today do this page, that page, this book, that project" and everything is ready.

Sonlight and My Father's World are well liked programs that include daily lesson plans. Sonlight might be good in your situation because it is a "cuddle on the couch and read" program. Great if you don't feel like getting up. Depending on their ages, you could do sonlight p4/5 with everyone. I'm using it for a k'er this year and my 3 year old sits in on some of the readings.

Alternately, use a math, phonics, and handwriting program for the k'er where you simply do the next page each day. Check out library books and read them to the group. If you want something to do with preschoolers, you could use get ready for the code books. Keep it easy and simple. No one will be the worse for it.

CLE was suggested to me for prek and kinder. Open and go little workbooks that aren't overwhelming but are enjoyable. That and lots and lots of reading to go with it.

Other than that, if you want a Christian one I'd say look at Sonlight or Heart of Dakota. I've heard really good things about both of those. I've also read about people using Calvert (not religious so you could do your own thing there) and Timberdoodle (some things are more religious) kits as open and go using the guides that come with them.

Sonlight is literature-based and Christian. It can be used as an "open and go". You choose your own math program. You can use their language arts program, though we do not. What you are interested in is the "complete Core".

Sonlight and My Father's World are well liked programs that include daily lesson plans. Sonlight might be good in your situation because it is a "cuddle on the couch and read" program. Great if you don't feel like getting up. Depending on their ages, you could do sonlight p4/5 with everyone. I'm using it for a k'er this year and my 3 year old sits in on some of the readings.

Alternately, use a math, phonics, and handwriting program for the k'er where you simply do the next page each day. Check out library books and read them to the group. If you want something to do with preschoolers, you could use get ready for the code books. Keep it easy and simple. No one will be the worse for it.

I was also going to suggest Sonlight. My Fathers World and Heart of Dakota also sound like they may work for you.

I totally agree with Sonlight! We love, love, love it! It is easily used with children as close as yours, I will have my 3yo and 1yo combined in a Core at some point. Right now they listen with I read with my 6yo dd. The books are fabulous, and you can easily use math and language arts from them or go somewhere else. It is also non-consumable for the most part. I have Cores P3/4, P4/5, and A just waiting in the closet. My 3yo just turned so last month and I will bring out P3/4 next month. I am so excited about going through it again and I think my littlest ds will love the books!

My father's world fan here! k is only 60-90 minutes a day and all laid out for you. we're using their 3rd grade program this year and in love with their curriuculum! hands on, real books, very few worksheets etc. Plus when your kiddos are 2nd grade and up they can all be combined. Even my littles tag along for the fun stuff in adventures this year.

As a mother who also just recently had a baby, we are enjoying online curriculum at the moment. My 2nd grader is using Time4Learning and my 5 y/o is using Reading Eggs. I have little time, but I'm finding using online curriculum frees me up to spend my one on one time on the subjects that need it.

As a mother who also just recently had a baby, we are enjoying online curriculum at the moment. My 2nd grader is using Time4Learning and my 5 y/o is using Reading Eggs. I have little time, but I'm finding using online curriculum frees me up to spend my one on one time on the subjects that need it.

I was using heart of Dakota but the kids have to be perfectly placed which makes combining hard.

I am using sonlight p4/5 with my 5.5 year old for kinder. I add in handwriting, math, and the reading lesson. We're good to go. Love it!

Sorry about quoting you!! Still figuring out the phone app!

I also would suggest abcmouse.com