Menu

opening gifts...what would you do?? How do you open your gifts at your home?

ProudGrandma

every year (for the last 5-6), I have had some sort of creative, yet systematic way of opening gifts...so the 3 kids would open certain ones together (on purpose)....but this year, I am just not that creative and my kids are getting older.

HOWEVER, there are several gifts that my 2 boys are getting that are the same....for example, they are both getting a pair of walkie-talkies and they are both getting bow and arrows. Should I still try to orchastrate it so they open those together...or at the age of 8 and 10, should it not matter if one opens one before the other kid.

My thought for opening gifts this year was to have the kids take turns handing out any gift from under the tree for someone else in the family. So that can mean that the one son would open the bow and arrow while the other one opens a fleece top. Am I over thinking this way too much and worrying about silly things....

How do you go about opening gifts at your home....maybe I can learn from your traditions??

A carry-over tradition from dh's youth: gifts are opened one-at-a-time. The oldest chooses a gift from under the tree then hands it to whoever it's for. That person opens the gift. Then next oldest chooses and so on. It allows us to all enjoy the gifts together. It slows down the pace so that even a few gifts seem like a lot because it takes longer to open gifts this way. Some surprises are given away. Like the year we got a Wii. It was the big box at the back of the pile. But in a couple of little boxes the dc opened Wii games so they knew a Wii was in the big box but it was still saved until the end and it was still fun to open.

My kids tear into their Christmas morning gifts as they wish for the most part. I do intervene sometimes, like if they are about to open a Wii game before they know they have a Wii, because that would make me crazy, lol.

If you want gifts to be handed out, why not just do it yourself? I would have have them open duplicate gifts at the same time, and I would 'match' the style of gifts they opened after each other (ie, I wouldn't hand A a pair of socks and B a remote control car).

Edited to add that my kids generally have a lot of gifts to open, so we are not looking to make it last longer, lol. Less so now that they are older, but if we took turns when they were 8 & 10, Christmas dinner would be mighty late. If we were a "few gifts" family, I probably would have had more of a ritual to it.

Could you tie the similar gifts together with a ribbon, so they are linked - but wrapped separately with the kids names?

Funny, I was just pondering this. I grew up taking turns opening, so we could each see the gifts that others received, and talk about who gave the gift, say thank you if the giver is present... DH grew up with a family that rips into gifts, and all the resulting chaos. I don't really care one way or another for the kids, as long as I can figure out thank you notes at the end! But it does make me feel a bit sad, when DH's parents or siblings are visiting, not to see them open their gifts because I'm busy helping a kiddo or refilling coffee.

We do our gift opening to focus on giving. So , starting with the youngest son, each ds hands around the gifts he has bought for others. When the boys are all done, then dh and I give out the ones we've purchased. They each get three, based on the baby Jesus getting three gifts. It keeps it simple.