Menu

Party Games for Tweens/Teens

Cassy

Just a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas for party games for a group of boys and girls aged 11/12 upwards. We're having a party here on Saturday evening for friends and neighbours and DS13 and DS11 have invited quite a few of their friends from school, with their parents. We plan on the adults chatting, eating and drinking in our dining room and drawing room, while the young people can hang out in the sitting room and kitchen, with, obviously, quite a bit of intermingling (we also have a large entrance hall). DS13 is worried about what the young people will do - the boys aren't particularly into chatting or dancing, and the girls will be bored if the boys just play video games. There will also be a handful of younger children, mostly earlier in the evening.

Any ideas would be very greatly received, and would help enormously to relieve stress and anxiety :D .

Many thanks

Just a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas for party games for a group of boys and girls aged 11/12 upwards. We're having a party here on Saturday evening for friends and neighbours and DS13 and DS11 have invited quite a few of their friends from school, with their parents. We plan on the adults chatting, eating and drinking in our dining room and drawing room, while the young people can hang out in the sitting room and kitchen, with, obviously, quite a bit of intermingling (we also have a large entrance hall). DS13 is worried about what the young people will do - the boys aren't particularly into chatting or dancing, and the girls will be bored if the boys just play video games. There will also be a handful of younger children, mostly earlier in the evening.

Any ideas would be very greatly received, and would help enormously to relieve stress and anxiety :D .

Many thanks

Apples to Apples or Pictionary are always popular here. With pictionary you can make your own items to draw (we recently did Christmas carols and the group had to sing the song for 10 seconds before they could get the next card.)

My 10yo hosts game night for her friends, and here are the party games they love to play:

Twister

Apples to Apples Jr (not the adult version; this version is great for all ages and genders)

Luck of the Draw (great for all ages, abilities, and genders)

Hot Potato

Of equal importance is tween/teen music and lots of snacks and fun drinks.

Are you looking for board/card games or activities? I think that age would LOVE minute-to-win-it style games. It would take a little bit of set up on your part, but the supplies are usually found around the house. You could make up a bunch of index carded with each game and let them be responsible for it. Google it and you'll find a ton of games to choose from.

My kids like the game Whonu and kids get to know each other's preferences in the process.

Nerf wars are popular around here.

Also cookie decorating.

Card games.

The game celebrity reminded me of a game my son enjoys. kids sit in a circle or around a table. Each person starts with a small stack of scratch paper (number of paper equals number of kids playing). Everyone writes down their own descriptive scene without everyone else seeing it (my kids like things along the lines of: a penguin riding a unicycle). Then they pass their description and the entire stack of blank paper to the person next to them. The next person reads what is on the top, takes that piece of paper, and puts it face up on the bottom of the stack. Then that person draws a picture to represent the scene. They pass that to the next person, who looks at the picture and then writes down a phrase to describe the picture. repeat until the stacks have gone around the circle once. So at the end, you go through each stack and it can be very funny to see how the phrases are drawn and how the pictures are interpreted. "Penguin riding a unicycle" may very well turn into "Frog eating a doughnut" or whatever. The first time DS described the game to me, I was confused, but after playing it, it is very easy to catch on to how to play.