Menu

Book a Week in 2012 - Week 51

Robin M

AWESOME Cheeto pictures!

I just read The Art of Non-Conformity and the second Hunger Games book, Catching Fire. I am already such a non-conformist, I think I better stop where I am right now. The Hunger Games books was definitely a Cheeto type of book (although I ended up with Doritoes). I got the LTE of Catching Fire at the library and it felt so good to rip through a 500 page book :laugh: .

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm not officially joining this group until next year, but I was so excited about the last book I read (and the first book in a long time) that I had to share.

It's called Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time by Marcus Borg. He's a progressive Christian who went to seminary as an atheist and has a non-literal view of the bible. It was intelligent, thought provoking, challenging, and all around faith altering (in a good way) for my husband and I. We read it at the same time and kept calling each other to talk about it.

Fantastic.

:thumbup1: Very cool. Thanks again, Rosie. So, I guess we can finally discuss the book further now??? By now, I've forgotten names of characters, but here are my first questions that pop into mind.... Did the headmistress kill the girl at the end & stuff her in the bushes? Why? What really happened at Hanging Rock? (What is your opinion of what happened? I read the supposed ending that wasn't published & wish I hadn't. If I hadn't read the original ending, I'm not sure what I would have thought....) Would love to hear what everyone's theories are.... Did you find the story magical? Mystical? Creepy? Scary? Tame? ???

I found it mysterious and maybe mystical. I have not read the official ending, and the only idea that comes to mind is that they were entranced by fairies - evil fairies that kidnap/kill people - remorseful evil fairies that kidnap/kill people and that make sure some of them get back (from...?) safely and are found. Really, I just didn't try to figure it out, being given very little information to go off of. Yeah, I forgot about that girl the headmistress disliked. I did get the impression that the headmistress murdered her just because she was stressed out and didn't like the girl.

Okay, I have 161 books on my TBR list. That doesn't include the list I have saved at the library. Oy. How will I get through them all when you all keep posting more and more books that look interesting?

I hate To-Read lists. I believe in reading serendipity. All books are not for all times. Of course, this doesn't keep me from picking interesting books and putting them on shelf until who knows when. :tongue_smilie:

Thoughts on to-read lists:

My actual to-read list is not something I think of as a to-do list. It's just a list of books I thought looked interesting. At the time I heard about a given book, I wasn't going to go get it right away, probably because I was already reading a book or five, so I stuck it on the list. I have a huge list of books to go to any time I am ready to pick another one and don't have one in mind.

Despite this attitude toward my to-read list, it does always seem like there is some other list of books, a mental to-read list, that I feel like I must read my way through *now*. It's never long, but I never get to the end of it. If I pick a book off the library shelf that I didn't go there intending to get, the book is slim. I know it won't keep me from my mental to-read list for long. I want to just go to the library once/week and grab whatever catches my eye, but I can't seem to free myself from planned reading.

Ok, I'm not officially joining this group until next year, but I was so excited about the last book I read (and the first book in a long time) that I had to share.

It's called Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time by Marcus Borg. He's a progressive Christian who went to seminary as an atheist and has a non-literal view of the bible. It was intelligent, thought provoking, challenging, and all around faith altering (in a good way) for my husband and I. We read it at the same time and kept calling each other to talk about it.

Fantastic.

Glad to have you and look forward to hearing about your reads next year. Thanks for sharing Borg's book. I can imagine it lead to some pretty intense discussions.

I'm putting that King Arthur Cookie book on reserve at my library because I would love a book like that. I'm always on the lookout for new cookie recipes so if you have a favorite from this year please post it.

So far the new cookies I like the best are Florentines (kind of a lace cookie). I made some with orange zest and then made them into sandwiches with ganache in the middle. Great plain or as a sandwich! They are generally gluten-free too (I've seen a few recipes that used a few Tbl of flour or oats, but usually its all about the almonds/almond flour).

I think the ganache took away their crunch so my next batch will be chocolate dipped or plain.

Finished two Christmas stories today (or should I say yesterday - yikes!), both audiobooks:

#57 A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - love the story and Dickens marvelous descriptions of people and places. Loved Simon Vance's narration, too. :)

#58 Christmas in Plains written and read by Jimmy Carter - enjoyable, sometimes humorous. Nice follow-up to An Hour Before Daylight.

It has been a busy week and it has taken me forever to get through a book that I should have finished in two or three nights.

The ABC Murdersby Agatha Christie - A typical great Agatha Christie novel, all the clues were there but I sure didn't see them. :) I love her stuff. I think my happy place is an Agatha Christie novel.

In progress:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare (read aloud)

Eye of the World (Wheel of Time 1)by Robert Jordan

The Lessons of Saint Frances by Michael Talbot

2012 finished books:

125. The ABC Murdersby Agatha Christie (****)

124. Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson (ZERO stars)

123. Holmes for the Holidaysby various authors (***)

122. Arsenic and Old Lace by Joseph Kesselring (***)

121. The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller (***)

Books 81-120

Books 41 - 80

Books 1 - 40

Amy's Rating System:

***** - Fantastic, couldn't put it down

**** - Very good

*** - Enjoyable but nothing special

** - Not recommended

* - Horrible

Oh, please post a review when you're done. That one has been on my 'want to read' list for many months now.

I'm 3/4 of the way through and so far it is one of my favorite books of the year. It has an old world feel to it, a lot of literature references, a little mysticism, some history (?) of the late 1800's (I haven't checked to see if it is accurate). Because its heroine is an eight year old girl, there is a sense of wonder and innocence. I would read it aloud to my children.

Ok, I don't see week 52 yet, so I'll go ahead and post here.

Completed:

Book #66 - "The No.1 Ladies' Detective Ageny" by Alexander McCall Smith. A fun, light read. Both my mother and my step-mother recommended this to me some time ago, and my step-mother even gave me a copy, but I just picked it up this week.

Book #65 - "While the World Watched" by Carolyn Maull McKinstry with Denise George. The author's story about the bombing of the Birmingham church. Overall, I liked it. It was an event I was only sketchily aware of. I did find the writing a bit, hmm, circular, at times. I realize it was a pretty central event, but I wanted the story to move on in places.

Book #64 - "2012 Family Guide to Groceries Under $250 a month" by Melissa Burnell.

Book #63 - "Artemis Fowl" by Eoin Colfer.

Book #62 - "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Book #61 - "Talking Back to OCD" by John S. March, MD.

Book #60 - "Moby Dick: or, the White Whale" by Herman Melville.

Book #59 - "Freeing Your Child From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" by Tamar E. Chansky, Ph.D.

Book #58 - "What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD" by Dawn Huebner, Ph.D.

Book #57 - "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Book #56 - "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.

Book #55 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 3 - A House Divided Cannot Stand" by Kevin Baker.

Book #54 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 2 - Creating the West" by Kevin Baker.

Book #53 - "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.

Book #52 - "America: The Story of Us, Book 1 - The World Comes to America" by Kevin Baker, et. al.

Book #51 - "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains" by Nicholas Carr.

Book #50 - "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

Book #49 - "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathan Swift.

Book #48 - "No Regrets: How Homeschooling Earned me a Master's Degree at Age Sixteen" by Alexandra Swann.

Book #47 - "What to Read When" by Pam Allyn.

Book #46 - "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City" by Greg Witt.

Book #45 - "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety" by Tamar Chansky.

Book #44 - "A Nation Rising" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #43 - "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan.

Book #42 - "The School for the Insanely Gifted" by Dan Elish.

Book #41 - "The Eye of the Sun - Part One of Blackwood: Legends of the Forest" by Les Moyes.

Book #40 - "The Fallacy Detective" by Nathaniel Bluedorn and Hans Bluedorn.

Book #39 - "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. Translated by John Ormsby.

Book #38 - "Organizing Solutions for People with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Susan C. Pinsky.

Book #37 - "Growing Up: A Classic American Childhood" by Marilyn vos Savant.

Book #36 -"A Young People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

Book #35 - "Organizing the Disorganized Child: Simple Strategies to Succeed in School" by Martin L. Kutscher & Marcella Moran.

Book #34 - "Turn Right at Machu Picchu" by Mark Adams.

Book #33 - "The Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan.

Book #32 - "Thunder Dog: The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, And the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero" by Michael Hingson.

Book #31 - "America's Hidden History" by Kenneth C. Davis.

Book #30 - "The Diamond of Darkhold†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #29 - "The People of Sparks†by Jeanne DuPrau.

Book #28 - "Mockingjay" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #27 - "Well-Educated Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer.

Book #26 - "The Prophet of Yonwood" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #25 - "City of Ember" by Jeanne Duprau.

Book #24 - "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch.

Book #23 - "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson.

Book #22 - "Deconstructing Penguins" by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone.

Book #21 - "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli.

Book #20 - "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #19 - "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.

Book #18 - "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

Book #17 - "Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month" by Deborah Taylor-Hough.

Book #16 - "Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy" by Jonni McCoy.

Book #15 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #14 - "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.

Book #13 - "Chasing Vermeer" by Blue Balliett.

Book #12 - "The Highly Sensitive Person" by Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D.

Book #11 - "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice.

Book #10 - "The Pig in the Pantry" by Rose Godfrey.

Book #9 - "The Virgin in the Ice" by Ellis Peters.

Book #8 - "The Leper of St. Giles" by Ellis Peters.

Book #7 - "St. Peter's Fair" by Ellis Peters.

Book #6 - "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother" by Amy Chua.

Book #5 - "Monk's Hood" by Ellis Peters.

Book #4 - "Flash and Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #3 - "Spider Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

Book #2 - "One Corpse Too Many" by Ellis Peters.

Book #1 - "A Morbid Taste for Bones" by Ellis Peters.