Menu

Update on my finanical decisions

Joanne

I have found an "expert" whose approach is more in line with what I intuit is best for me at this point, in my context.

http://www.finishrich.com/

I have identified my (our) "latte factor". Due to my age, I needed to find a "double latte factor". :laugh:

I also discovered that my Adjunct Instructor job (you know, the one that a poster thought was the bane of my existence) comes with an automatic retirement savings, with employee contributions. :hurray: Granted, I don't make much there due to the limited hours, but saving some is better than saving none. And saving some from pre-tax dollars is better still. And better YET is saving some pretax dollars and getting additional "free" money. I am plowing through the pile of paperwork I've put aside for a while, and found that the money is currently going into a money market. The goal today is to get online, and change where those funds "go." I was given the option to teach an additional section of the class (which means more money for not too much more work, since the planning only needs to be done for one class). Now that I've discovered I have a modest savings mechanism through this job, I am going to keep it for as long as I can and still say sane. :driving: I have discovered since graduating a year ago that keeping multiple "high level" jobs is easier in several ways than keeping several "low level" jobs. They take more thinking and brain power, but they also give back instead of drain me. I am reinforced, challenged, and interested.

Our enrollment in my main job for the 401k is in January. I am going to enroll and save $10% of my pretax pay. They don't contribute, but I still feel strongly this is what I need to do. I may also participate in the FSA.

Plan today is a shell budget for January onward. The budget will include the new retirement, current living expenses, an amount for building an emergency fund, a modest sinking fund to use towards a lease to own in a year or so, and the last part will be a set amount each month for debt service. They can accept that amount as I go through the debt, or they can sue me. Regardless, I am not going to put that FIRST anymore.

If when I do get back child support (now in the thousands), I will use it to fund emergency fund first, primary residence real estate down payment, and debt after that.