Menu

Best Christmas Themed Picture Book

This week we read a new (to me) book that is now in my top two favorite books of all time. It is The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown. I cuddled my three little ones around me while I read. Throughout the story there are songs with music that go with the story. Since my oldest is a pianist, I had her play the pieces as we sang them when we got to each in the story. It was magical I tell ya! It felt like that moment in A Charlie Brown Christmas when they are all singing, holding hands around the Christmas Tree. So what is YOUR favorite Christmas picture book?

cooney_the_little_fir_tree.jpg

I really love Jan Brett's Christmas books....Gingerbread Friends, The Wild Christmas Reindeer, The Night Before Christmas (the version we have has a DVD that has a narration along with music performed by the Boston Pops...Jan's husband performs in the orchestra). I just really love her artwork. I've also met her in person a few times (we share an obsession with the same type of chicken) and she's just really a lovely person. She will always stop and get down on her knees to talk to small children. One year my then 3-year old asked her to sign a book for him, and she whipped out a handful of colored pens from her pocket and proceeded to chat with him for several minutes while not just signing the book, but also drawing a little picture inside. He still talks about it. :) Kinda irrelevant to her books, but I guess I feel more attached because they've been made a little more personal for me.

I have quite the collection. I use them as decorations under our Christmas tree. Some people use pointsettas or wrapped gifts, we use picture books.

My kids really like Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury. It is a big thick book and has a collection of a bunch of her christmas stories. I think I got it used for 5$ on Amazon.

I also have Polar Express, Tasha Tudor's Night Before Christmas, Christmas in the Noisy Village, ee cummings Little Tree, The Grinch, The Story of Holly and Ivy.... well, too many to list. My younger son likes to pick a different on every night to read.

I have quite the collection. I use them as decorations under our Christmas tree. Some people use pointsettas or wrapped gifts, we use picture books.

My kids really like Jan Brett's Christmas Treasury. It is a big thick book and has a collection of a bunch of her christmas stories. I think I got it used for 5$ on Amazon.

I also have Polar Express, Tasha Tudor's Night Before Christmas, Christmas in the Noisy Village, ee cummings Little Tree, The Grinch, The Story of Holly and Ivy.... well, too many to list. My younger son likes to pick a different on every night to read.

What a lovely idea!

What a lovely idea!

To be fair, it doesn't look that nice. It is a big mess of books. If you pile them up, then it is hard to tell why they are there. If you spread them around then it looks like you forgot to pick up the books.

Every year I think that there must be a better way to display them, but we haven't figured it out yet. And still, we all really like having them out. The kids speak fondly about all the books. I don't just have Christmas books, but all kind of winter or snow type books. Right now my younger son is really into The Big Snow.

My one rule for myself is that they all have to be bought used. That is my own little game. I love buying used books and looking for Christmas or winter books is a fun thing for me to do during the year. I have a couple that are out there! The Christmas Bunny always gets notices and Countdown to Christmas by Bill Peet is just weird.

So, just be warned that if you put picture books under your tree it looks sort of messy. But, people sure seem to have fun looking at the books! Everyone who comes over will take some time to poke through the books and often flip through a couple.

Holly and Ivy is my all time favorite Christmas picture book. DD is getting Nutcrakcer with illustrations by Susan Jeffers this year and it looks to be a visual masterpiece.

I almost forgot about the Christmas Kitten by James Herriot. Another favorite.

I love picture books about Christmas and every year DD gets one for St. Nicholas Day. I'm keeping a list of what she gets so I can do the same for new baby and they can both have thier own stack of much loved Christmas books to take with them when they have thier own kids.

• 3 weeks later...