Menu

Sewing Machine

Suzanne115

Hi -

I want to purchase a simple sewing machine for my daughter and myself. We want to start making doll clothes for her American Girl dolls. I have very limited experience with sewing on a machine. I have made simple hand puppets and a few very simple costumes. My skills are very limited, but I think we would have fun trying together. What sewing machine would you recommend? I had a Bernette by Bernina, but it was destroyed in a recent house fire. The insurance money allocated for me to use is a little over $400.00. It is part of our replacement policy so it is use it or lose it. I would want to spend $500.00 or less.

Thank you,

Suzanne

I love to sing the praises of my Kenmore, but no one else ever agrees with me, so take that for what it's worth. I think the Kenmore was under $300 and has served me for many quilts, items of clothing, and mending for about 10 years and still going strong.

There are multiple threads discussing this topic. Do a search.

Suggestions vary. Do you have a sewing machine shop near you? They often carry used machines that are awesome.

My personal sewing machine is probably 30 years old now. I bought it used and I have had it for over 25 years. It's a Pfaff. I love it.

My DD has a Kenmore that's less than 5 years old. It does really well for her level (Beginner) level of sewing. I have borrowed it when mine was in the shop and it does a pretty good job.

There is a Bernina at Costco right now that is getting pretty good reviews too.

I have a beginner level Janome (Janome Magnolia 7318 is the model number), which was about $250 or so, then add a bit for extra feet, bobbins, etc. Would you be able to use the insurance money to get the sewing machine + accessories like that? Or only the machine itself?

If you have a quilt shop or sewing machine shop, I'd buy there vs. a big box store, because the purchase will come with an introductory lesson on the machine, which is very helpful. Like you, I'd never really used a machine before but wanted to learn; this machine has been fantastic (and I'm sure other Janome's are as well) as it is very basic yet very sturdy and user-friendly. There are markings on it for which way to thread the needle (where to run the thread from spool holder to needle), how to insert the bobbin, etc. For $400 you can probably get a machine that's a step up from the one I have. But do contact a local shop; the shop I bought from was fantastic in helping me pick out what I needed and really guided me to the right machine for what I'd be doing, in my price range, etc.

Best of luck! I know you'll have fun when you get the machine and get started.

My daughter has a Babylock Maria. We love that thing. It is durable, easy to use, has an automatic button hole maker....just last night, she was making a custom outfit for Tonner dolls. A friend's mom paid her $40 to design Dr.Who costumes for her daughter's Christmas dolls.

Not a bad business for a 14 year old.

I would second the option of checking a sewing machine store vs. a department store. The sewing machines already listed are wonderful brand names. I bought an old used Bernina 830 which has metal inside instead of plastic. It works great but doesn't have a lot of fancy options. I too have been looking for sewing machines for my daughter (not this year, but possibly in a year or two) and I've wondered if getting one with a slow and normal speed option would be beneficial... So many variables - have fun deciding :) I would love to hear what you decide to purchase.